Successful Referral Strategy

Ben Feldman didn't ask for or work referrals.

Sometimes I wonder who exactly is doing the 'brainwashing' regarding referrals. And often times, it's people who don't care to teach how to do the hard prospecting efforts.

Managers, GAs, and home office people all teach "project 200" and get referrals to who they know. But we also know that they live by: "Hire 'em in masses, teach 'em in classes, sell all their family and friends, then fire their ***es." So they're not exactly 'unbiased'.

Others who tout this message are authors and system sellers: Wayne Cotton, Bill Cates, LEAP, Circle of Wealth, and yes, even the Insurance Pro Shop and Sandy Schussel (who I mentioned earlier in this thread).

Here's the thing: Asking for referrals is great and much more powerful when you know you have a solid marketing strategy that you are doing consistently to get leads regardless of getting referrals from every single client and prospect out there.

According to the book "Top Gun Financial Sales" and "Top Gun Prospecting"... you are never too big to prospect... and cold calling is still #1.

The positioning is something like this (after a thorough value discussion): "I talk to a lot of people every day about the work I do... but I'd rather talk to people who are important to you - people you know, love, and care about that you believe should at least know about what I do. I have found that when I am introduced, the other person - as long as they're open minded - are grateful that you thought of them for my services."

Then, after you have a couple of nice conversations and meetings, you ask the referred person to contact the referror and THANK THEM for arranging the introduction. :)

Back