The Door Knock Life

I never understood the free memorial guide offer. I have boxes of them I got from various carriers with the new agent supply kits they used to send out. I haven't given away any of them. I believe Chris Weir recently posted on FB that the memorial guide lead pulls lowest of all the FE mailers.
I would never use them as a draw to reply to a lead card.. I would think it a waste of effort. However, I do give them out. Especially if a person buys.

Everyone likes to get free stuff. I hand them to the prospect or client and tell them what it is, show them the and tell them, Other than making sure your family has the money to pay for your final expenses, if you will take time to fill this out, your family will think it one of the greatest gifts you ever gave them. This way they will know exactly how you wanted your final arrangements taken care of. Plus, there is spaces for family history that they might not have any knowledge of that they would appreciate knowing about." etc., etc. After hearing it explained, I have had people gush their appreciation and have even had a couple change their mind about not buying an FE policy.

Today I was door knocking some aged leads and surrounding neighbors. I talked to a lady who was very excited to get coverage. So were most of the other people living in her head! She got into an argument with one of them, though. I was going through the health questions. When I came to the one that mentions schizophrenia, she suddenly shouted, “Shut up! I’ll tell him whatever I want to tell him!” Apparently that other person didn’t want her to admit to it.:wacko:

Last edited:
164915343_4575028049180816_1050855362124296090_n.jpg

I never understood the free memorial guide offer. I have boxes of them I got from various carriers with the new agent supply kits they used to send out. I haven't given away any of them. I believe Chris Weir recently posted on FB that the memorial guide lead pulls lowest of all the FE mailers.

Supposedly response rate much higher than regular leads . I’d still rather run them than the free Walmart lead . Most of those just want the card . I just need a name were somebody signed something .

Regarding memorial guides or planning guides it was the #1 cold canvassing prospecting tool my team used for decades in the funeral cemetery business. It would amaze me people would let you into the home to get the "Personal Planning Guide" and then they would bring out six other versions someone gave them none of them filled out and not worth the paper they were written on. Used properly on a completely cold knock it was an essential part of our presentation. Most agents including funeral and cemetery salespeople and our final expense competitors used the book more as a business card to hand out and didn't create much value.

Regarding memorial guides or planning guides it was the #1 cold canvassing prospecting tool my team used for decades in the funeral cemetery business.

Interesting, and based on your post and @rousemark's comments I'm going to have to reexamine my opinions on these planning guides.

Used properly on a completely cold knock it was an essential part of our presentation.

I can't be the only agent reading this who would appreciate it greatly if you would share bit of your doorknocker script and how you worked the planning guide into your presentation. Whenever I here someone say they used something for "decades" as a door knocker, my ears perk right up. It sounds as though you've been quite successful and I hope you would be so kind as to share your experience with us. Thank you @Lawsonhj1

First thing we would do is knock and qualify them like I'm from XYZ Memorial Park you don't own your cemetery property yet, do you? then the "no" but not interested so time to change gears. Have you received your Personal Planning Guide yet from XYZ Memorial Park? .. and I'm not sure I mentioned that there is no cost but there is no cost for the book.
Hit some bullet points keep is short. * We offer the book to members of the community as a service, helps people to make the decisions that need to be made at time of death, all the decisions create even a bigger problem, book can be used at any funeral home or cemetery anywhere, most people have already discussed things like this the book gives you a place to record the decisions, book makes things easier for your loved ones at time of death gives some sense of direction, one central place to compile all the info needed ( ie. wills, banking, life insurance, personal belongings), you keep the book in your home let your grown children know where it is. I realize people aren't to eager to see me when I stop by like this but does the book make sense?

From there different schools of thought but I always worked and trained windows of opportunity or dropby's instead of appointments. This planning guide technique goes back to at least the 1950's that I'm aware of and by focusing on decisions (book) instead of $ some of the nicer salespeople that didn't have sharp teeth could consistently get leads. One of my mentors trained people to fill the book out for clients bring it in and admin would type it up. Thought was once the decisions were made the only thing left to discuss was how to pay for it. Back then I didn't have patience to fill out a book just old school pitch man all words and timing. Sometimes if I didn't want to hire someone I would write sample on a book hand them a short script and tell them if they can't sell a free book they can't sell anything so if they came back with a list of people wanting a book they might even get hired.

Sometimes if I didn't want to hire someone I would write sample on a book hand them a short script and tell them if they can't sell a free book they can't sell anything so if they came back with a list of people wanting a book they might even get hired.

I love it!

Thanks for sharing ... I hope you stick around this thread and share your experiences and war stories of life on the doors, as well as hiring and training and managing cold canvassers.

Back