Whole Life Policies Vs Final Expense?

Most "Final Expense" policies are Whole Life, not all, but most that are sold in the typical Final Expense market. The typical FE policy is a small Whole Life policy with about 4 tables built in. Think high risk auto insurance policies.

Final Expense is or was just a marketing term. We used to call them 'Burial Policies'. Kinda like 'Mortgage' policies are typically just term policies.

you can get 100K in coverage for about $230 a month at age 70.

Where?

Looks like you were looking at a GUL on a excellent health female. And yeah, typically that may be much more appropriate for her than FE policy.

why wouldn’t most people just buy the whole life policy instead of the final expense policy?

Several reasons - Who they are, health, knowledge and how they were put in contact with the agent. - The agent.

Are they middle class and referred by their middle class friends to a Traditional Life Insurance Agent or are they lower income and contacted by a mail in FE card or referred to a full-time FE agent? Even in the different type agents you are going to have biases.
Client knowledge and agent knowledge.

I also do realize that the whole life policy might take several months to pay out when the funeral money is needed.

Not remotely true. I had a JNL $1million claim paid in under two weeks of mailing in the DC. I had little Oxford FE policy take about 6+ weeks. While there are some FE companies that pay very quickly you can not make that blanket statement.

10K (the cost of a funeral)

$10,000 is said to be the norm but that is definitely is regional. There are many places that $10,000 won't buy the hole. In my non FE Agent option the typical $25,000 max issue amount is out dated.

For your example of a very healthy 70 year old female a traditional par whole life or GUL very well may be the better option. IF, she will go Fully Underwritten.

All IMohsoHO

Edit: I started this reply an hour or so ago but got a call and just got back to it. Looks like everyone else already said what I said.

So = What those guys said.

Last edited:
I also do realize that the whole life policy might take several months to pay out when the funeral money is needed. But if the person’s objective was to buy a policy for more than 10K (the cost of a funeral), wouldn’t it be better to get a whole life policy?
You are thinking wrong. ANY funeral director can get paid out of ANY non-contestible whole life policy within 24 hours of death. FE policies have no advantage there.

That's an Ohio National Quote shown.
If you are talking about the illustration I posted in this thread, it is definitely not Ohio National. Very hard to tell carrier from ledger as so many carriers pay the same companies like I-pipeline to design & supply illustrations, e-apps, etc

You are thinking wrong. ANY funeral director can get paid out of ANY non-contestible whole life policy within 24 hours of death. FE policies have no advantage there.

Quick question on that funeral directors being able to Pay themselves out. Is it restricted to whole life or is it any non contestable policy? I was under the assumption it had to be a pre need.

Quick question on that funeral directors being able to Pay themselves out. Is it restricted to whole life or is it any non contestable policy? I was under the assumption it had to be a pre need.

It's any non contestable life policy.

Any product type. Carrier will just want the beneficiary to have signed off on the Assignment of claim form so they can issue payment to funeral home

Back