Why Did You Decide to Get into the Insurance Industry?

Wanted to wear a tie.. Now almost nobody wears them! :D

Actually, in some ways that was true.. I was working as an oiler and millwright helper in a hot, dirty paper mill. Hated coming home totally covered with dirt and grease every day.. My insurance agent would come by to collect and he was always neat and clean, drove a nice car and seemed to be enjoying what he was doing. When he was promoted to staff manager, he recruited me..

I took a 25% pay cut to start plus added all the additional expenses involved in collecting a debit. My wife wasn't too pleased.. especially when I was working until 9PM+. However, that was 42 years ago, last week.. She is still with me and I have no regrets over that initial decision.. I do have regrets over some of the decisions I made along the way.. But things are what they are. Everyday is a new opportunity to make new mistakes so I don't worry about the ones that are in the past..

Last edited:
Wanted to wear a tie.. Now almost nobody wears them! :D

Actually, in some ways that was true.. I was working as an oilier and millwright helper in a hot, dirty paper mill. Hated coming home totally covered with dirt and grease every day.. My insurance agent would come by to collect and he was always neat and clean, drove a nice car and seemed to be enjoying what he was doing. When he was promoted to staff manager, he recruited me..

I took a 25% pay cut to start plus added all the additional expenses involved in collecting a debit. My wife wasn't too pleased.. especially when I was working until 9PM+. However, that was 42 years ago, last week.. She is still with me and I have no regrets over that initial decision.. I do have regrets over some of the decisions I made along the way.. But things are what they are. Everyday is a new opportunity to make new mistakes so I don't worry about the ones that are in the past..
That's really uplifting! I'm glad it worked out for you :-) And happy 42 year anniversary.

As senior editor, I don't get to wear ties either...

Hi Liz. I'm new on the block, just getting started. For me, I was Very Tired of working for the Man/Woman. Never quit getting ahead, no way up, never knowing when you can get laid off at anytime for no good reason (yes, this did happen). Selling Insurance offered a way to get ahead and the possibility of making very good money with hard, smart work. Working for myself, the freedom that it brings and never being worried about laying myself off. :-) Wish I would have done this years ago.

I considered getting into insurance back in 2000, but decided to go into real estate because I liked houses. Well, a move to Arizona (from Minnesota) with my then fiancée last summer meant I had to find a new j-o-b.

In anticipation of our move I had to give consideration to what I wanted to do for a career. I decided to look into insurance and did some homework, then took the P&C test after studying and went the independent route. Why insurance, you ask? Most everyone needs some type of insurance, and I am a people-person. In addition, the opportunity to help people and make a good living were part of my decision. So far, so good as I am enjoying it, learning every day, and selling. Just need to establish some solid referral relationships to make it easier.

I'm still making the transition but for me, I'm tired of others setting my salary for me. I want to be able to help decide how much I make. Secondly, I'm tired of sitting in a cubicle all day long. I feel like I'm stuck there with a ball and chain. Third, I want to get out and speak with people. My current situation is far from allowing me to do that. It's all about a new freedom for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I considered getting into insurance back in 2000, but decided to go into real estate because I liked houses. Well, a move to Arizona (from Minnesota) with my then fiancée last summer meant I had to find a new j-o-b.

In anticipation of our move I had to give consideration to what I wanted to do for a career. I decided to look into insurance and did some homework, then took the P&C test after studying and went the independent route. Why insurance, you ask? Most everyone needs some type of insurance, and I am a people-person. In addition, the opportunity to help people and make a good living were part of my decision. So far, so good as I am enjoying it, learning every day, and selling. Just need to establish some solid referral relationships to make it easier.

How were you able to go indy with p&c with no experience? Isn't it hard to get appointed?

Last edited:
I'm still making the transition but for me, I'm tired of others setting my salary for me. I want to be able to help decide how much I make. Secondly, I'm tired of sitting in a cubicle all day long. I feel like I'm stuck there with a ball and chain. Third, I want to get out and speak with people. My current situation is far from allowing me to do that. It's all about a new freedom for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How were you able to go indy with p&c with no experience? Isn't it hard to get appointed?

To clarify: I joined an independent agency, and only needed P&C to start.

My dad is an agent, as his second (third, fifth, retirement) career. I have worked for him, on and off, since I was 12 years old. We are an entrepreneurial family- working for someone, other than family, gives us hives. If someone asked me 10 years ago if I would be selling insurance, I would laugh in their face. I am the worst sales person on the planet! Working with my dad makes it easier- not as much pressure, and no real "boss". It's the best job in the world.

Back