Why Did You Decide to Get into the Insurance Industry?

Making the great escape from cubicle nation. Feel stuck and want to earn more than a 3% raise every year and the freedom to be out meeting and conversing with others.

OregonNewbie asked me (BigLefty): How were you able to go indy with p&c with no experience? Isn't it hard to get appointed?

To clarify - I work at an agency, not on my own. Learning the business every day! (I tried to reply earlier but it looks as tho it didn't post.)

Making the great escape from cubicle nation. Feel stuck and want to earn more than a 3% raise every year and the freedom to be out meeting and conversing with others.

This sounds like my post. I could've written this myself. I am with you 100%.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OregonNewbie asked me (BigLefty): How were you able to go indy with p&c with no experience? Isn't it hard to get appointed?

To clarify - I work at an agency, not on my own. Learning the business every day! (I tried to reply earlier but it looks as tho it didn't post.)

Ah, gotcha. I was curious as to what your secret was but this makes sense.

Last edited:

So true! So tired of others dictating what you are worth and always having in the back of your mind that one slip up could cost you your job!
Thank God for the Insurance industry for the Freedom that it gives and where I dictate how much I can make!

This is an interesting thread. I work in marketing in the insurance industry and I’ve often wondered what prompts someone to become an agent. Personally, I hate making phone calls, could never picture myself knocking on a door, and prefer to work by myself. I have a lot of respect for agents in that they are intrepid people truly willing to put themselves out there.

Three reasons for me.

1. Other jobs will only let you work x amount of hours. If I only worked 40 hour weeks I would be finished by Wednesday.
2. I control my own income. If I suck I make nothing and if I'm great I get paid, also I do not have to worry about pulling other peoples weight.
3. When I was a broke, in the middle of getting my degree, my mother had a stroke. I'm talking about the one day she was her the next day she wasn't type of stroke. She was pretty young too around 50. If only she had coverage it really would have helped. That is my main motivation to not let the happen to another family on my watch if I can help it.

What motivated is because to me its the only business that truly helps a lot of people and make some real money doing it.

Back