Common Situation with Direct Mail Leads

Funguy

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hey guys,

Firstly I’d like to personally thank Newby and Jdeasy. I’ve learnt some great information from their website.

I have been using direct mail leads. The returns have been fine.
However, one common objection occurred every time and I every time I was unable to help my clients because they did not have a need for Final expense coverage.

When I ask them what was their reason to mail the card with their contact information, they told me something along the lines of this.
“We just wanted to know, what was the free information” or “ If it is life insurance we don’t need it , we just requested the free information on the card, we already have enough coverage and are not in a position to have another monthly bill”

Every time I failed to make a sale this objection happened right from when I first contacted them or had my first appointment.

Based on my experience, I am considering purchasing Tele-marketed leads in the future so that when I first contact them or have an appointment with them at least they know exactly why I will be contacting them.

If anyone knows a great Telemarketing Lead company, please let me know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Funguy

First, that's not my website. I was simply a guest of Scott's to the do the recording.

As for that objection, that's not an objection, that's a reason. People mail these cards in all the time that don't want to buy insurance. I throw those in the trash.

If you fiond teleleads that problem will be even worse with those because the telemarketer will just be saying anything to get a yes so they can sell it as lead.

What you have just described is the reason why 1 out of 100 agents attempt this fail. This is very rare that you are experiencing this.
Most of the people remember sending in the card and are expecting an agent to contact them.
Normally they answer their phone and set an appointment, keep the appointment and have coffee and cookies on the table for your enjoyment. Most, not all but most, have their checkbooks handy because they know life insurance isn't free.

About 99% of agents that enter the business stay for on average 24 years. There is very little turnover in this industry and mainly that's attributable to the leads being of such high quality. Therefore you must be doing something wrong while working these leads. So please correct your mistakes I would be dissapointed for you to become one of the 1 percenters that fail.

What you have just described is the reason why 1 out of 100 agents attempt this fail. This is very rare that you are experiencing this.
Most of the people remember sending in the card and are expecting an agent to contact them.
Normally they answer their phone and set an appointment, keep the appointment and have coffee and cookies on the table for your enjoyment. Most, not all but most, have their checkbooks handy because they know life insurance isn't free.

About 99% of agents that enter the business stay for on average 24 years. There is very little turnover in this industry and mainly that's attributable to the leads being of such high quality. Therefore you must be doing something wrong while working these leads. So please correct your mistakes I would be dissapointed for you to become one of the 1 percenters that fail.

The sweet smell of sarcasm

Hey guys,

Firstly I’d like to personally thank Newby and Jdeasy. I’ve learnt some great information from their website.

I have been using direct mail leads. The returns have been fine.
However, one common objection occurred every time and I every time I was unable to help my clients because they did not have a need for Final expense coverage.

When I ask them what was their reason to mail the card with their contact information, they told me something along the lines of this.
“We just wanted to know, what was the free information” or “ If it is life insurance we don’t need it , we just requested the free information on the card, we already have enough coverage and are not in a position to have another monthly bill”

Every time I failed to make a sale this objection happened right from when I first contacted them or had my first appointment.

Based on my experience, I am considering purchasing Tele-marketed leads in the future so that when I first contact them or have an appointment with them at least they know exactly why I will be contacting them.

If anyone knows a great Telemarketing Lead company, please let me know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Funguy

I have learned that sometimes you have to "feed the client the need"...

Finding the need just isn't good enough...

When the client says they have plenty of insurance... I say..

"well, were you thinking that if it's really easy to afford, maybe you want to add to what you have?" they usually say, "sure"
and when I say it, I exaggerate my facial expression and body language... so they feel what I'm saying...

Good training and experience is going to be the only thing that can get you past this type of rejection...

The most important thing is to set your presentation up so that it flows naturally and limits rejection.

I never ask the client why they sent the card in... They will always say, "I was just curious or I just wanted to be mailed information."

I ALWAYS ask what their concern was when they sent in the card.

There is always more behind the answer they give (just curious), and that's where you ask JD's handy "3 Questions."

You need to continue the conversation from there. Getting intel on the type of policy they have, and preferably seeing it, is paramount.

Case in point, I had 2 last night with Foresters. They wanted to pay less than they were.

When I went to review their policies, turns out he was clean-sheeted (had diabetic neuropathy but had level coverage).

I also never ask the prospect "why did you mail the card in"? To me that question just opened the flood gates for all kinds of misleading answers from the prospect.

I already know why they mailed the card in....it's because they want more info about whatever is talked about on the card they sent in. If they sent back a card for info on mag subscriptions I know they sent the card back for info on mag subscriptions. If they sent a card back for info on medicare I know they sent the card back for info on medicare, etc.

My question to the prospect is "was this information for you or for you and someone else?

My question to the prospect is "was this information for you or for you and someone else?

I usually ask if they remember sending in the card right at the beginning of my script after I say so I am and why I am calling. It's the first question I ask. Even if they tell me they don't remember, that question about who it's for is my next question and most of the time they will tell me, even if they can't sending it in.

Speaking of which, if they say they don't remember sending in the card, I say, "I apologize. We have had so many people respond for info on our programs that it has taken me a while to get back to everyone. Was this something you need for you or someone else?"

I never ask if they remember sending the card in. That can create an out for them that 9 times out 10 they will go for it. I just tell them that I got the card they sent back and need 5 mins to go over that info they requested. This has always worked for me and it gets right to the point at the beginning of the call.

As far as asking why they sent it in, I feel that it is not necessary but is a great help in closing. It brings everything back together and keeps that thought in the back of their mind throughout the sales call.

Use a card that has the words "LIFE INSURANCE" on the card.

You return will be less, but you will get less tire kickers.

Lead Connection has a card that says Life Insurance

Back