The Famous "Free WAL-MART Gift Card" Lead Card...

I've run 1000's of leads from all pieces that say life ins,gift cards and e-64's. Over time i see little difference in the quality of the client. I've seen just as many clients at times who think the "life ins" lead is a free gov't program as the "gift card" lead. I wrote a client yesterday who said she sent in 4 of these leads in the past week. People are getting so many of these cards they don't know up from down. A lead is just a contact and many people don't know what they filled out. The only lead that's superior is a net lead were the client fills it out and 100% knows its insurance . Problem with those is lead flow is slow and the lead is tough to get hold of.

You don't need permission to give away WalMart Gift Cards nor use their name when doing so . . .

Im sure most of us have ran across this lead card in the file or had an IMO that used this lead card. Ive always been curious how they got WAL-MART to allow this, unless they had to pay them to use their name or theyre just doing it illegally. Early in my FE career I was with a "FREE" lead program (I learned how much income I was misssing after a few years not buying my leads) and wrote a good amount of business off them. I was aways taught to tell the IMO they wanted their card and theyd handle it, so I just told the client it takes a few months.:err:

Last year I got a flyer in the mail from this same IMO about Final Expense with a lead card to fill out and a free "Dollar General" gift card...

It makes sense. I wasnt sure if the mail house, or whoever designed the card had to buy the rights to use the name, figured some legal mess would have been involved.

----------

I've run 1000's of leads from all pieces that say life ins,gift cards and e-64's. Over time i see little difference in the quality of the client. I've seen just as many clients at times who think the "life ins" lead is a free gov't program as the "gift card" lead. I wrote a client yesterday who said she sent in 4 of these leads in the past week. People are getting so many of these cards they don't know up from down. A lead is just a contact and many people don't know what they filled out. The only lead that's superior is a net lead were the client fills it out and 100% knows its insurance . Problem with those is lead flow is slow and the lead is tough to get hold of.

WalMart leads suck IMO.

Our D2D Survey Leads are working well . . .

Closed 2 of 6 leads this week that we created D2D. $990 AP.

Why would any retailer object. The agents have to buy the card from them and the prospect can only use the card at that retailer. I am sure many of the cards go unused so that is pure profit. But, even if the retailer did object, it would not do them much good. Once you buy the card it is yours. You can do what you want with it.

It's called breakage and creates millions in profits - but takes a few years for the card balances to go to zero . . .

Walmart loves this, and Walmart's all about the $$$. Think about it, where can they use the Walmart Gift Card.:yes:

It doesn't cost Walmart anything, they gain $5 worth of business...or whatever the card is worth.

Actually Walmart and several other national retailers will send you a cease and desist if you use their name without their written approval. At this time they are not allowing any additional agencies and/or mail houses to use their name.

My understanding is that the reasoning for not wanting it done is twofold. First they are heavily involved in several aspects of the insurance business and have no incentive to allow others to use their desirable name to entice a purchase without them getting paid on the sale of the insurance. Secondly when people mail back the card and then a gift card does not show up in the mail a week or so later who do you think their first call is to? You guessed it, they call their local Walmart and say all they had to do was return the card to get a gift card and are assuming Walmart sent the offer.

Those using the card currently either had prior approval or they are rolling the dice.

Actually Walmart and several other national retailers will send you a cease and desist if you use their name without their written approval. At this time they are not allowing any additional agencies and/or mail houses to use their name.

My understanding is that the reasoning for not wanting it done is twofold. First they are heavily involved in several aspects of the insurance business and have no incentive to allow others to use their desirable name to entice a purchase without them getting paid on the sale of the insurance. Secondly when people mail back the card and then a gift card does not show up in the mail a week or so later who do you think their first call is to? You guessed it, they call their local Walmart and say all they had to do was return the card to get a gift card and are assuming Walmart sent the offer.

Those using the card currently either had prior approval or they are rolling the dice.

I've never used them and never would. That's interesting, and it makes perfect sense because I've read many times on here that agents don't leave the gift card, especially if they don't ask for it.

I've never used them and never would. That's interesting, and it makes perfect sense because I've read many times on here that agents don't leave the gift card, especially if they don't ask for it.

You are correct on the not sending the card. The catch is that it says you are to receive the card if you reply in 5 days. No where does it say you need to answer your phone or your door to receive the card. One could take that as the client expects the card to show up in the mail worst case. I can almost guarantee that is how the DOI would see it. Anyone using those cards would be smart to error on the side of caution and give out more gift cards than less.

Those cards are actually not bad to work if they are strongly worded enough before the gift card offer, but if the card reads purely like a way to get a gift card it will be tough sledding.

You are correct on the not sending the card. The catch is that it says you are to receive the card if you reply in 5 days. No where does it say you need to answer your phone or your door to receive the card. One could take that as the client expects the card to show up in the mail worst case. I can almost guarantee that is how the DOI would see it. Anyone using those cards would be smart to error on the side of caution and give out more gift cards than less.

Those cards are actually not bad to work if they are strongly worded enough before the gift card offer, but if the card reads purely like a way to get a gift card it will be tough sledding.

Yeah, I would think that a large % of responders are just looking for more "free sh*t".:yes:

Yeah, I would think that a large % of responders are just looking for more "free sh*t".:yes:

Takes a special kind of closer to successfully work those leads consistently. You know, the kind that refuses to leave unless you call the cops or pull a gun on him.:eek:

The single biggest day I ever had in FE was from the McDonald's gift card DM piece

$17,000 AP from 6 apps last Tuesday

Back