Felony Conviction - SC - Feasible License?

johnm440

Hey guys. I got arrested on a drug charge in 2013, it was a serious enough thing that I couldnt skirt around the conviction. I am going to be off probation in a few months, i have over 2 years sober (drugs were my problem), and a very close friend of mine is killing it selling Final Expense and I have tailed him a few days and gotten very interested in it myself.

What is South Carolinas policy with felonies and licensing? I have ample proof I have turned my life in, will have a letter from a very reputable Northeastern broker, and a lot of proof of community involvement etc.

I have some people saying it wouldnt work out and others saying it should be fine.. Can anyone with some personal or anecdotal experience help me out?

I dont want to pay for the course, the test, etc only to find out its a blanket no felons policy.

Hope you guys are having a good new year, thanks

Hey guys. I got arrested on a drug charge in 2013, it was a serious enough thing that I couldnt skirt around the conviction. I am going to be off probation in a few months, i have over 2 years sober (drugs were my problem), and a very close friend of mine is killing it selling Final Expense and I have tailed him a few days and gotten very interested in it myself.

What is South Carolinas policy with felonies and licensing? I have ample proof I have turned my life in, will have a letter from a very reputable Northeastern broker, and a lot of proof of community involvement etc.

I have some people saying it wouldnt work out and others saying it should be fine.. Can anyone with some personal or anecdotal experience help me out?

I dont want to pay for the course, the test, etc only to find out its a blanket no felons policy.

Hi johnm440,

Welcome to the Forum.

Did you look at the application? It looks like they give you a chance to explain it. See page 3.

https://sc-doi.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/2272

Tim

Call the SC DOI. We are just guessing. Odds are the person you will speak with is guessing too, but at least theirs is an educated guess.

Many states have a 7-10 yr period before they'll look at a felony charge. With only 2 plus yrs i highly doubt any state will license you.

Best way to handle this is call the Dept of insurance. Be sure to tell them you understand they can't give you a define answer but you are just wanting to make sure it's not an automatic decline.

Some states, Florida I think, have a set in stone rule that the person must be 7yrs free of the conviction and served sentence. Others will consider it on a car by case basis.

I have worked with a couple people with different issues and what I have learned is that the best source of info is the actual licensing division of your Dept of Ins

According to SC's own paperwork, felons need to apply for a special waiver. You will also need to submit all pertinent court documents and things need to have been resolved.

Looks like you need to apply for the right to apply.:yes: Or you could just get your wife licensed.;):laugh:

Thats fraud Pa Bill. I know a guy who got busted 10 yrs ago doing that. You'd be suprised how many of these Fe clients call the company to see if the agent is legit. They call and say "is pa bill licensed with you". Nope but we have a Mrs Pa bill is and then they can Mrs Pa bill and report you to the ins dept. They might also rescind policy's less than 2 yrs old.

Some states straight up don't care. I personally know agents in New England who would never get their license in more strict states. But from what I understand, if you don't have violent or money/fraud related crimes you have a shot.... Some states don't even do a background check. SC definitely does.

----------

If SC is like that how could they ever have agents?:laugh:

Are you from or licensed there?

Some states straight up don't care. I personally know agents in New England who would never get their license in more strict states. But from what I understand, if you don't have violent or money/fraud related crimes you have a shot.... Some states don't even do a background check. SC definitely does.

----------

Are you from or licensed there?

No..............................................

Back