If I Were Asked to Leave my Captive Agency Today...

DavidHill76

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Tennessee
Who would you recommend joining?

I'd like to think going independent would be nice.

I really love the way 360 Financial looks.

I'd like to go on a dime budget...

Meaning, not having to take out any loans, etc.

These forums help tremendously in giving me the advice and confidence needed.

Although, as I start out, I feel that a captive agency provides the support of business expenses I have no clue about in the FE and LI industry.

If I were to go independent, as someone downline, I would need a lot of financial support for a few weeks.

Has anyone got good things to say about Liberty National? I know there's a lot of Torchmark bashing here, but going with the punches at AIL, I already know their presentation script, LNL and AIL have essentially the same things, just different target markets.

How about Farm Bureau? My uncle retired from Farm Bureau and was very successful. I feel I suit an office environment much more than hitting the streets going door to door.

So, if I were to be asked to leave AIL today, with no money in my bank account, what should I do?

Contact the Mutual of Omaha near you. They will not finance your first few weeks up front though. Financing comes after commissions and bonus.

If you can close some GWL and express apps you'll get paid quickly. Close 8 - 10 GWLs totaling 6000 mnfyc+ and you're in business. You'll make almost $6000. So, sell approximately $1250 in monthly premium.

Look for:
Age 45 - 85 and Substandard

This isn't as easy as it sounds... That's the life of an independent contractor... Also, if you have no $$ you need to put on some shoes and walk-n-talk small businesses. I do that on occasion because its fun to me and it's good exercise, but it's hard work. You can also try door knocking. Visit some senior centers and pass out your business card. tell them "Come see me when you turn 65". Then follow with talking about the pillars of retirement. You help people who "die too soon, live too long, or get sick along the way". I hope you have a health license.

Also, if you want complete independence, you can find your local GMA and get appointed as a general agent to Mutual of Omaha. That's the independent broker channel. You get no training or admin but you get higher payouts. Both ways you are NOT captive. MO has their own GMA and you'll be appointed to other carriers as needed. I'm a career agent at MO but I'm appointed to a dozen other carriers. To sell securities and financial planning, you'll need to be a career agent. I sell securities and financial plans.

Does that help?

Where are you from?

Nashville, TN

Residing in Memphis, TN

I heard Northwestern Mutual is doing a hiring spree.

I did an internship with them in 2011, I like them a lot, but I don't know if they'd help me get leads in the beginning or any kind of orphan accounts.

----------

This isn't as easy as it sounds... That's the life of an independent contractor... Also, if you have no $$ you need to put on some shoes and walk-n-talk small businesses. I do that on occasion because its fun to me and it's good exercise, but it's hard work.

I hope you have a health license.

Also, if you want complete independence, you can find your local GMA and get appointed as a general agent to Mutual of Omaha. That's the independent broker channel. You get no training or admin but you get higher payouts.

Sounds fun, what is walk and talking small business like? What do I say, etc.
Yes I have a Health License.

GMA at Mutual of Omaha? What does that process look like? I can go independent then go door knock?

Nashville, TN

Residing in Memphis, TN

I did an internship with them in 2011, I like them a lot, but I don't know if they'd help me get leads in the beginning or any kind of orphan accounts.

----------

Sounds fun, what is walk and talking small business like? What do I say, etc.
Yes I have a Health License.

GMA at Mutual of Omaha? What does that process look like? I can go independent then go door knock?

You might want to get with Rearden on here, he is just down the road from you.

I was with Mutual of Omaha. There is no salary, but an additional bonus on business you write. Most career agencies have something like this, so it isn't unique to MoO.

Do not confuse an additional bonus with a "salary".

The only place that offers a salary, is Metlife for 19 weeks... and you still have to qualify for it up front, with submitted business.

Combined Insurance pays $500/week for 10 weeks (if i remember correctly), but after week 3, you still have to qualify for it.

Bottom line: No one in the insurance industry pays a salary long-term.

Back