Let's Talk About Hand-Delivering Policies

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
In an effort to improve my persistency and generate more referrals, I am seriously considering hand-delivering each of my new client's policies. Here's what I think would be the benefits:

Improved Persistency: Let's say I have a 75% persistency having policies mailed directly to the policy holder. I sell an average of $3600AP each week. Now I meet each client for 10 minutes, discuss the policy, and review it.

I'll catch some that were considering cancellation -- maybe I'll get those that would cancel to keep the policy at a lower price.

Let's assume it's feasible to improve persistency to 85%. At the $3600AP average weekly, that's a $1440AP improvement monthly. A big difference for a little added effort.

Opportunity to Cross-Sell: When you come back to seal the deal and deliver the policy, you could come prepared to sell some additional coverage. Grandkid coverage seems logical to do -- you could ask the policy-holder at the time of the interview about her grandkids and their age; then come back with the policy in hand and some figures run ahead of time. When you show them $5000 in G'Kid coverage for a buck and quarter a week -- who would balk at that, even some of our lowly FE clients?

Out of every 10 new clients asked for grandkid coverage, imagine converting only 2 of them. Let's say the average commission is $125 each (logical as most grannies have multiple grandkids). If you're writing 25 FEs a month, that's 5 of them now with grandkid coverage, increasing your commissions another 625AP each month (and probably improving persistency that much more).

Referral Power: Naturally, you could increase your referral and lead base this way pretty easily, reducing dependency on direct mail leads.

Looking at this way, it is possible to increase commissions by thousands of dollars, improve persistency, and decrease direct mail costs. Sounds like a winner to me!

My question for you who hand deliver policies is -- do you schedule a time to deliver them? Or do you drop in? How much time do you take to spend with each new client on average?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
In an effort to improve my persistency and generate more referrals, I am seriously considering hand-delivering each of my new client's policies. Here's what I think would be the benefits:

Improved Persistency: Let's say I have a 75% persistency having policies mailed directly to the policy holder. I sell an average of $3600AP each week. Now I meet each client for 10 minutes, discuss the policy, and review it.

I'll catch some that were considering cancellation -- maybe I'll get those that would cancel to keep the policy at a lower price.

Let's assume it's feasible to improve persistency to 85%. At the $3600AP average weekly, that's a $1440AP improvement monthly. A big difference for a little added effort.

Opportunity to Cross-Sell: When you come back to seal the deal and deliver the policy, you could come prepared to sell some additional coverage. Grandkid coverage seems logical to do -- you could ask the policy-holder at the time of the interview about her grandkids and their age; then come back with the policy in hand and some figures run ahead of time. When you show them $5000 in G'Kid coverage for a buck and quarter a week -- who would balk at that, even some of our lowly FE clients?

Out of every 10 new clients asked for grandkid coverage, imagine converting only 2 of them. Let's say the average commission is $125 each (logical as most grannies have multiple grandkids). If you're writing 25 FEs a month, that's 5 of them now with grandkid coverage, increasing your commissions another 625AP each month (and probably improving persistency that much more).

Referral Power: Naturally, you could increase your referral and lead base this way pretty easily, reducing dependency on direct mail leads.

Looking at this way, it is possible to increase commissions by thousands of dollars, improve persistency, and decrease direct mail costs. Sounds like a winner to me!

My question for you who hand deliver policies is -- do you schedule a time to deliver them? Or do you drop in? How much time do you take to spend with each new client on average?

Thanks for your input.

I call ahead and tell them I have their policy. If there is a certain that they say is better for them I schedule it. If they say they will be home all day I tell them that I will drop by while I'm seeing other people and work it in.

I delivered my policies for years and then got away from it over the last 3-4 years. Just this summer I went back to delivering some and now pretty much deliver them all again. I always did deliver replacements so I could help them stop the draft with the old company and help with paperwork to get the cash value. That was on the replacements where I didn't do the POS to get an immediate decision.

It may not make much difference but it seems to so I will keep doing it. I had very few not takens with the company delivering them so I haven't noticed any change there.

When I first started out I delivered all of them but my problem now is I work 3 or 4 different areas and too many times I am working too far away to deliver them. I now have them mailed directly to the policy owner.

Its a lot of driving time dropping them off. I would rather take my chances on spending that time writing new business and staying in contact with them over the phone.

If there are any issues with written policies I want to be notified via email from the company. Foresters is real good at that. Americo is a pain in the butt in regards to emails keeping me on top of things. I just got appointed with RNA and am hoping they will be a good replacement for Americo.

Last edited:
I never deliver the policies unless it a very large case or client needs help signing paperwork afterwards. I would rather spend my time making sales.

I have always hand delivered 90% of my policies. I think it's a key reason why I have great persistancy.

I think it depends upon your business model. Hand delivering policy can help deepen relationships and could result in better persistency and referrals. However, the time could be used to make additional new sales. One model is more farming whereas the other is more a hunter.

I agree with Xrac, it depends on where you live and your business model. If you have a wide map of driving distances, it is most best to have them mailed from home office. It's simply not feasible for time management. Most companies give you the option to suit your situation. I only work 2 areas and everything is within an hour drive and I work them in with my apts in those areas. I hit the same areas at least once a week. However, I may be adding new zips and it might not be a productive use of time or feasible to deliver all policies.

For me as a general rule, I will deliver them for the advantages listed by Rearden.

Here's the better way:

Have the policy mailed to you from the Co. Call Ms. Jones and spend a few min. reviewing the policy...face amt., bene's., draft date each month, etc., and chit chatting. Ask for referrals. Let her know you'll be putting her policy in the mail 1st class tomorrow and she should receive it in the next 2-4 business days.

Probably only 90% as good as a face 2 face review but the time savings to generate brand new sales/commissions more than makes up for the face 2 face review.

Here's the better way:

Have the policy mailed to you from the Co. Call Ms. Jones and spend a few min. reviewing the policy...face amt., bene's., draft date each month, etc., and chit chatting. Ask for referrals. Let her know you'll be putting her policy in the mail 1st class tomorrow and she should receive it in the next 2-4 business days.

Probably only 90% as good as a face 2 face review but the time savings to generate brand new sales/commissions more than makes up for the face 2 face review.

Some of my business is 3+ hours away or in an other state. So those I do it just like that. With the exception that I priority mail them. Appearance of importance.

Back