Is There a Future in Final Expense?

G

I was wondering about the future of final expense as a career,
I have been in the car business most all of my life except in 2006 I sold for humana in the beginning of MAPD and D plans. About a year ago I hooked up with EFFES bought their start up package of leads and sold nothing.

About a month ago I started with an agency that provides pre set appointments. My first 2 weeks were about $2500 in AP. My next 2 weeks have been over $8K the pay rate is 60% but I do get 25 appointments a week.

Now I have been offered an opportunity back in the car business with all the benefits and will make 70K guaranteed. Did I just get lucky these last 2 weeks or am I on my way to a new great future?
I do really enjoy this business and I seem to have a nack for it and really would like to stay in it.

I know its all up to my I'm just looking for opinions about longevity in this business as I need 10 more good earning years.

I was wondering about the future of final expense as a career,
I have been in the car business most all of my life except in 2006 I sold for humana in the beginning of MAPD and D plans. About a year ago I hooked up with EFFES bought their start up package of leads and sold nothing.

About a month ago I started with an agency that provides pre set appointments. My first 2 weeks were about $2500 in AP. My next 2 weeks have been over $8K the pay rate is 60% but I do get 25 appointments a week.

Now I have been offered an opportunity back in the car business with all the benefits and will make 70K guaranteed. Did I just get lucky these last 2 weeks or am I on my way to a new great future?
I do really enjoy this business and I seem to have a nack for it and really would like to stay in it.

I know its all up to my I'm just looking for opinions about longevity in this business as I need 10 more good earning years.

Even if what you have done the past two weeks is sustainable the other job would pay more when all is said and done.

Especially if you have to pay for those pre set appointments. I would assume you are not apyig more than the 60% in commissions that you are already paying for them but if you have to pay on top of that then it's really a bad deal.

Are your commissions assigned to the IMO? From the sound of the deal I believe I know the IMO.

Selling a tangible product like cars vs selling life insurance is comparing apples and oranges.

The vast majority of FE agents do not make over $70,000 per year.

My opinion is that you will be a lot more happy in the FE world, than auto sales. When you were not selling; did you have trouble getting in the door, or were you not focused on sales, because of some distraction ?

Last edited:
70k guarantee, with bene's. it is a no brainer. You could always keep your toes in the insurance, part- time.

70k guarantee, with bene's. it is a no brainer. You could always keep your toes in the insurance, part- time.

All other things being equal, I'd completely agree. I will disagree on the sticking in the insurance game part though, I'd pick one or the other.

To answer the question, there is absolutely a future. It's probably at least as stable as the car industry.

If they offered you 70k with bene's, you must have a good track record in the car business. Do what you do best.

Last edited:
A lot of truth to the above posts. You can do both as I did when I was in the car biz as a service advisor, until you get a good base going. I would work 7a-6p, make appointments on my lunch break with leads and run 3-4 nights a week right after work. I sometimes made more in those sales in a couple of hours than I did all week working 60 plus hours! It was a motivator for a transition for me. I admit you do have to burn the candle at both ends for a bit, but in the end it was worth it. I did it for 6 months before I left the auto industry back in 2004. Hope it works for you.

.....Now I have been offered an opportunity back in the car business with all the benefits and will make 70K guaranteed. Did I just get lucky these last 2 weeks or am I on my way to a new great future? I do really enjoy this business and I seem to have a nack for it and really would like to stay in it........

My thinking would be why pass up the sure thing for something unsure. Keep you license active and you can always jump back in at a later time.

Back