Responses to Client Objections

bdagent

Expert
I have been chatting with someone on here who was asking for help with how to close a deal with certain objections. I dont mind sharing some of what i learned that got me over the hump when i was starting out....so we both agreed it would be nice to post them here to help others as well.

Here goes:

Client: "I want to think about it"

Me:
I certainly understand
and when considering something like this there are really two things you need to think about.....
First, would __$/month change your standard of living in any way what so ever?
(if this is a yes then adjust pricing, if no continue...)
Second, if you were to die tomorrow, would your family need all the help they could get?
(obviously a yes response)
Ok, SO if this will not change your standard of living and you know that ______benny will need this money, which one of these plans would you like to leave to _____ (close on benny)?

Client: "I cant afford it"
Me:
I understand, can you tell me how much to much is it?
OR
I understand, about how far apart are we?
Great, If so then if I can take care of most of your needs in that price range can we get it written up today?

Client: "I still need to think about it"

ME: I understand,
I certainly wouldnt expect you to take advantage of this program if you didnt see the value........
Take for instance the _________ Feature on this policy.
(explain a key benefit like ROP or even something as simple as APL or Disability Premium waiver, cash value, etc.)

Now after seeing those benefits, many others have taken advantage of this program, and I think it just makes sense dont you??

Great,
Which one of these options would benefit you and your family the most????
close on a couple choices if at all possible....greatly increases your likelyhood of them picking one!

Those three can work individually or in order...when i first started selling insurance I had to memorize 6 closes and give them back to back to back until they bought or told me there wasnt a snowballs chance in hell they were going to !!!
A little high pressure for sure, but i really believe that it was the best thing for me as i was shy and would have never asked for the check otherwise!!

One more helpfull thing I will offer up.......
If you are calling people for appointments from a lead or even cold calling and you cannot get through your script to even ask for the appointment (or preso if selling over the phone entirely) try a variation of this.....

ME: Let me ask you one question and then I will let you go.

If I could show you a way to save $$ on your ______ insurance, add additional benefits while keeping what you like about your current plan in place, would that help you????

for a specific example i use now selling MA plans

If i can show you a way to save $$ on your health Insurance, still allow you to see the same doctors and hospitals, AND provide extra benefits like vision dental and hearing coverage....would that help you?

Its really hard for them to say no to that!!!!

good luck all

Objections come up because . . .

1) The agent failed to "connect" with the prospect and establish a level of trust

2) The agent failed to ask the right questions and listen effectively.

Pick any two.

If you are getting objections you will not be able to do anything other than further alienate your prospect by using trial closes and restating your position.

Time to move on and hope you do better the next time.

A lot of agents spend too much time with people where there was no deal to begin with, they don't ask the right questions on the front end. A prospect has to have a problem, have an adequate budget to fix it, be able to make a decision, and be able to work with you. If you don't deal with these on the front end, you'll experience them on the backend like you're getting now. Mays well find out where you sit from the beginning.

Last edited:
They either :
1) don't feel they need it
2) don't trust you
3) don't feel they can afford it
4) don't understand it

That about covers the possibilities. 1, 3, and 4 are because you didn't pay attention to what they said or didn't askt the right questions. 2 could be any number of things that you might or might not be able to change.

I have successfully used the "Columbo" closing technique.

While closing my briefcase, seemingly getting ready to leave, I say,
" Thanks for your time but just one more thing, I know in my heart that I have the best Insurance product's in the Nation. To help me better serve my clients in the future, would you mind being brutally honest with me and tell me where I failed in my presentation with you today"?

Sometimes the real objection comes out, then I can proceed overcoming said objection.

When all else fails, Columbo might just solve the case!

"would you mind being brutally honest with me and tell me where I failed in my presentation with you today"?"

it's your hair man.

Sometimes the smartest thing to do is walk away. If you're dealing with a bunch of objections, chances are very good that even if you overcome them all and get something written up, the chargeback will be a bitch.

You have to know when you are wasting your time.

Objections come up because . . .

1) The agent failed to "connect" with the prospect and establish a level of trust

2) The agent failed to ask the right questions and listen effectively.

Pick any two.

If you are getting objections you will not be able to do anything other than further alienate your prospect by using trial closes and restating your position.

Time to move on and hope you do better the next time.
Do you even sell anything?? there is rarely a time in sales when there isnt an objection of some sort. Many times the person just has the reflex response not to say yes without putting up a little bit of a fight....the real objection if there is one is usually not the first one you hear.....and you cannot overcome the real one till you hear it.

Back