Good ISP

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I am becoming aware there is a difference in the speed in which sites will load from one ISP to the next. Any suggestions?

A fast ISP . . .

Using FatCow on one site, 1and1 on another and no clue on a third site. Not dissatisfied, but just askin'

I don't think you are talking ISP, but hosting provider....

The ISP would be cable provider, such as comcast or your dsl provider, such as AT&T. There is a difference here, since comcast and many other ISP's will 'cache' heavily hit pages on their servers and provide them without having to rely on going 'out of network' to get them. This makes little difference on frequently updated sites (such as a forum) or sites that nobody but you visit.

The hosting provider makes a HUGE difference on how fast people will see your site. This is especially true if the site is dynamic and is database driven, such as an e-commerce site, less true, but still true, when the site is static, i.e., no database, nothing generated by the webserver specifically for that person.

Think of it this way. If you and your neighbors, call it 10 houses total, all tried to water your yards, but the water capacity to all 10 houses was fed by a single shared garden hose, it would take a long time for all of you to complete watering the yard. On the other hand, if the 10 houses were provided by a fire hose, there would be plenty of water pressure and volume.

Some hosting providers are significantly underpowered, either in bandwidth capacity or in server capacity, where others have plenty to spare. The time of day can make a difference, things can work great at night, but not during the day, etc. due to demand.

I have not rated hosting service providers in years. I can't make a recommendation anymore.

Dan

I use GoDaddy and really like it. Fast site loading times and a very friendly user interface in the back office

Back