Adventures in Lumpy Mailings

Travis Price

Guru
1000 Post Club
I had this baller idea to do a three-month lumpy mailing campaign for people 69-77.

Letter 1 was supposed to be sent a month prior to their birthday.

It included a sales letter with a letter opener

Letter 2 the month of their birthday

I was going to send a more direct sales letter. I'm testing but bought some movie fake money and shredded/small bagged it. (You can buy shredded $20 bagged for .67 each.)

Sales letter 3 month after their birthday.

Final sales letter inviting them out to coffee with a branded wooden nickle.

I apparently did not investigate well enough. You can mail letters with a stamp if they're under an ounce and flat. Cool!

If they're rigid, they have to be mailed first class. Business-class is $2.74, the nonbusiness class is 3.80 for postage.

Based on 300 (because I was going to saturate my local market) my costs break down as follows:

Envelope .06
Double sided letter (ink) .06
Letter paper- .01
Letter opener .64
Corp postage 2.74

Total 3.51

$1053.00 per mailing.

I'm anticipating roughly 4% return, but I'm also shooting relatively conservatively based on lumpy open mail and longevity of item.

12 call in leads.

25% (usually mine is closer to 40% on call-ins) close rate equals 3 sales

average first-year premium plus spiff is $480

3x480 fyc= $1440

I guess being in the money first year is good enough. I'm wondering if anyone else have tried lumpy and what type of return rate you've seen.

I was really excited about this at .55 stamp (I use a handwritten font on a normal #10 letter with a normal stamp for improved open rates) as I'd triple my money.

I can still do this with the shredded money as long as the letter is no more than 1/4 inch think, flat, and flexible.

$1.32 per letter is only $400-ish in costs.

I may be overthinking the costs, because either way I'm in money.. However, I did just waste $200 in postage prepping the original letters.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and putting numbers on it. A lot of agents really struggle to organize it this well!

I bet with this type of marketing you will have good referral sources in the future

I tend to look at marketing in addition to CPA, There is how much time is needed to chase after leads and how well referrals come

the more personal or unique the letters the better the referrals I would say, And if the leads are call-ins you are saving a lot of time which is high value as well

I bet with this type of marketing you will have good referral sources in the future

I tend to look at marketing in addition to CPA, There is how much time is needed to chase after leads and how well referrals come

the more personal or unique the letters the better the referrals I would say, And if the leads are call-ins you are saving a lot of time which is high value as well

I only do call-in/free quotes on my site. I don't do chase and they tend to improve my closing ratio.

The sticker shock got me, initially. However, I think as long as it's profitable and has a good ROI the dollar amount is less important.

Regardless, I have to test it to know the response rate.

I only do call-in/free quotes on my site. I don't do chase and they tend to improve my closing ratio.

The sticker shock got me, initially. However, I think as long as it's profitable and has a good ROI the dollar amount is less important.

Regardless, I have to test it to know the response rate.

Took me a few years to learn that, If I took that attitude in the very begging I would have got their faster

I had this baller idea to do a three-month lumpy mailing campaign for people 69-77.

I was going to send a more direct sales letter. I'm testing but bought some movie fake money and shredded/small bagged it. (You can buy shredded $20 bagged for .67 each.)

I apparently did not investigate well enough. You can mail letters with a stamp if they're under an ounce and flat. Cool!

If they're rigid, they have to be mailed first class. Business-class is $2.74, the nonbusiness class is 3.80 for postage.

Based on 300 (because I was going to saturate my local market) my costs break down as follows:

Envelope .06
Letter paper- .01
Letter opener .64
Corp postage 2.74

Total 3.51

$1053.00 per mailing.

I'm anticipating roughly 4% return, but I'm also shooting relatively conservatively based on lumpy open mail and longevity of item.

12 call in leads.

3x480 fyc= $1440

I guess being in the money first year is good enough. I'm wondering if anyone else have tried lumpy and what type of return rate you've seen.

I was really excited about this at .55 stamp (I use a handwritten font on a normal #10 letter with a normal stamp for improved open rates) as I'd triple my money.

I can still do this with the shredded money as long as the letter is no more than 1/4 inch think, flat, and flexible.

I may be overthinking the costs, because either way I'm in money.. However, I did just waste $200 in postage prepping the original letters.

Did you stop doing thi

Envelope .06
Letter paper- .01
Letter opener .64
Corp postage 2.74

Total 3.51

$1053.00 per mailing.

12 call in leads.

3x480 fyc= $1440

How did it work out?

Back