Approved Level with HIV?

Actually that's incorrect. If you read your agent contract they send a letter stating that the agent has a responsibility to ask questions that may aid in underwriting such as "does the insured take any meds.",Also the letter makes it clear that the agent has a responsibility to do their due diligence even if such a question is not asked on the app. So for this example even if the app is not a final expense or GI where they wouldnt ask that question, whatever the app maybe, if the agent knows this then they have a responsibility to let the underwriters know. I had a lady that wanted a GI policy (which they don't ask for any medical info) and I asked her is she terminally ill. She said no but have Hiv. I called the underwriting and they said even though it is GI and her doctor doesn't declare her terminally ill they still won't take the app. So imagine now if I still sent in the app knowing this info and without calling the underwriter. If you don't think insurance companies can decline to pay a benefit or rescind a policy for the simplest things go and check Google.

----------

I'm overly cautious when selling insurance. I knew an agent who is 30 years in the business and he would always tell his clients during the non-med app portion, "answer questions exactly like how I ask you and don't tell me more more than I asked because if you do I have to write it down." If I asked that lady if she was terminally ill and she said no than I am in the clear but because she added that extra piece of info I had to cover myself.

Actually that's incorrect. If you read your agent contract they send a letter stating that the agent has a responsibility to ask questions that may aid in underwriting such as "does the insured take any meds.",Also the letter makes it clear that the agent has a responsibility to do their due diligence even if such a question is not asked on the app. So for this example even if the app is not a final expense or GI where they wouldnt ask that question, whatever the app maybe, if the agent knows this then they have a responsibility to let the underwriters know. I had a lady that wanted a GI policy (which they don't ask for any medical info) and I asked her is she terminally ill. She said no but have Hiv. I called the underwriting and they said even though it is GI and her doctor doesn't declare her terminally ill they still won't take the app. So imagine now if I still sent in the app knowing this info and without calling the underwriter. If you don't think insurance companies can decline to pay a benefit or rescind a policy for the simplest things go and check Google.

----------

I'm overly cautious when selling insurance. I knew an agent who is 30 years in the business and he would always tell his clients during the non-med app portion, "answer questions exactly like how I ask you and don't tell me more more than I asked because if you do I have to write it down." If I asked that lady if she was terminally ill and she said no than I am in the clear but because she added that extra piece of info I had to cover myself.

If you had sent that app in, she would have been perfectly fine. Now, you may have been in trouble with the company had they found out she told you. But she did not make a material misrepresentation on the application because it never asked her.

If you had sent that app in, she would have been perfectly fine. Now, you may have been in trouble with the company had they found out she told you. But she did not make a material misrepresentation on the application because it never asked her.

I can agree with you on that point that they may honor the contract but again that is a "may." I have read and seen worse stories of individuals not getting paid. I'm pretty sure many of us have approached individuals and have been chastised with the following phrase "Insurance is a scam!" It's because of scenarios like these.

----------

This is not to say Columbian is not a reputable company or they would or would not pay. I write their fe the most lol...it's just to say be smart don't take any chances.

I can agree with you on that point that they may honor the contract but again that is a "may." I have read and seen worse stories of individuals not getting paid. I'm pretty sure many of us have approached individuals and have been chastised with the following phrase "Insurance is a scam!" It's because of scenarios like these.

----------

This is not to say Columbian is not a reputable company or they would or would not pay. I write their fe the most lol...it's just to say be smart don't take any chances.

If you are depending upon the "good will" of a company to pay claims and not their adherence to the contract as written, you shouldn't be writing with that company.

Good will can and will change as the wind blows. Contracts are written and recorded. I'll take the company that pays per the written contract over one that pays per good will any day.

----------

I have been selling life insurance since 1971.. have been captive, independent, management and an agency owner. I have never had a problem by simply recording the information the app asks for. The reason they encourage you to ask about medications (and it is required on many applications) is to see if there is information pertaining to what is on the application that has not been revealed. If the agent becomes aware of information requested on the application he is required to disclose it even if the clietn didn't. For example, if the application ask about using a walker or mobility and the applicant says they have no problem but the agent see a walker in the corner, then he would be obligated to make underwriting aware of that. However, the agent is not under any obligation to revel information that is not requested by the company.

In the case of the MDO app, they do a script check so they are going to be aware of what medications the lady was taking even though the app does not ask for meds. The app did not ask if she had HIV and the script check would have revealed the meds.. There is no way that case can be contested or rescinded nor can the agent be faulted.

I have been selling life insurance since 1971.. have been captive, independent, management and an agency owner. I have never had a problem by simply recording the information the app asks for. The reason they encourage you to ask about medications (and it is required on many applications) is to see if there is information pertaining to what is on the application that has not been revealed. If the agent becomes aware of information requested on the application he is required to disclose it even if the clietn didn't. For example, if the application ask about using a walker or mobility and the applicant says they have no problem but the agent see a walker in the corner, then he would be obligated to make underwriting aware of that. However, the agent is not under any obligation to revel information that is not requested by the company.

In the case of the MDO app, they do a script check so they are going to be aware of what medications the lady was taking even though the app does not ask for meds. The app did not ask if she had HIV and the script check would have revealed the meds.. There is no way that case can be contested or rescinded nor can the agent be faulted.

1971 is a longtime...

I just looked at their app and it clearly asks in question # 2 of the application which is a knock out question...."Has the Proposed insured ever tested positive for exposure to the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), or been diagnosed as having Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), or AIDS related complex (ARC) caused by the HIV infection or other sickness or condition derived from such infection?"

OK.. That is the Florida MDO app. The TN app is different. It doesn't ask about HIV, only AIDS.

True ..... but you can be HIV positive and not have AIDS. The Columbian Final Expense App asks about HIV but the MDO app does not.. Had never noticed that before. Agent does not have to list drugs for the MDO but they do an MIB and Rx..No mandatory POS.

It was actually the columbian regular final expense, not mdo

It was actually the columbian regular final expense, not mdo

Lol. That is funny. But truly and honestly , there are a lot of new agents that come on this forum and read it and take what other agents say as advice. That said we should all make a responsible effort to say things that are in the best interest of the AGENT and not in the monetary sense but in the sense of having a long lasting and honest career. The final expense app doesn't ask about HIV either but it talks about aids. The underwriters wont accept someone based off of that question who has HIV. i know because again I asked and even if I didnt, because I know the two are related it would be in MY best interest to let the underwriters know this so no one can try to terminate my contract because I willfully omitted info because of semantics or have a family test the strengths of my E&O policy because they got burned in the end. Any sensible agent can understand where I am coming from. Do your job right so you can sleep good at night.

----------

I didn't mean for that to rhyme btw lol

Back