Client mad at me

Got some details last night from a family member and not sure if they are true. Going to call the company on Monday to verify the current beneficiary. Seems like the daughters had tried to change the beneficiary, but for some reason it had not been completed so the husband/ boyfriend was still named. When the daughters went to the funeral home thinking they had all of this money to spend they ran up a $23,0000 tab. Now after finding out they were not entitled to any of the proceeds they ask the husband/boyfriend for help. He agrees to giving them $15,000 and tells them they would have to come up with the difference since he had nothing to do with the arrangements. Now the daughters are badmouthing the company. How could they spend $23,000 on a simple funeral? My Dad 's was very nice and cost $7800. Will know more on Monday. I'll bet that if they were successful in making the change they wouldn't have given the husband/ boyfriend a dime.
It's disgusting how greedy people get at a time like this. Tells you what kind of a person they are. Glad I'm not related to anybody like that.

I saw it a little when my grandparents died(the aunts and unces that lived the closest took items out of the houses), but I was proud of the way my parent's 6 kids acted when they died. Not one argument or disagreement. :)
While my dad lay in hospice care my brother used my dad's own truck to empty his garage of all his tools (a bunch were mine that my dad had borrowed). He also took all his guns. Again some were mine. Cops told me I could have them back if I had receipts. Who has receipts on tools they bought 20 years prior. In general people are scum.

How could they spend $23,000 on a simple funeral? My Dad 's was very nice and cost $7800. That is an easy question depending on the location. If there was a plot, opening the grave can cost as much as $1500. If the locale requires a vault, throw in a few grand more. Funeral directors can be as bad as some used car salesmen, show the most expensive casket first so everything else looks like a bargain, "wouldn't Dad look good in this?". Were there flowers and a church service, or announcement in the paper? Were prayer cards printed? Does the locale need embalming or an autopsy? Funeral service people can be ruthless with the charges for their services. I have unfortunately been directly involved in planning 4 funerals in 10 years. Throw in a celebration after the funeral and 23K is a low number

Well I decided to call the company this morning to see if I could get any details. The original beneficiary is still in place which is the husband/boyfriend. Seems like the change of ownership form that was submitted by the children was not completed correctly so nothing had changed at the time of the policyholders death.

Now one of the daughters is appealing the beneficiary designation. One was named the policyholders Power of Attorney so she thinks as such she should be the beneficiary. Guess what? The company is looking at her claim and will probably pay the proceeds to her according to the representative that I talked to. Never heard of this before.

The POA cannot name him or herself as the beneficiary unless it is specifically stated in the documents that this is allowed. Also, if the bill for the funeral is going to eat up most, if not all, of the death benefit, who really cares in the end? But I am still confused. First you stated that your clien is mad at you because of the beneficiary change. then you stated that the boyfriend got the money and offered 15K to the daughter and they were mad. Now it looks like nothing has been paid out and the policy is being contested. Walk away! My frien died and had been asked if he wanted to review his life policy. It stipulated the his daughter should receive the benefit. that was a daughter from his first marriage and he thought she would share it with her half siblings. She got the check and said "see you later". Money corrupts

The daughter must have told the husband/boyfriend that she had made changes and that is why he was mad. Then when they find out that he is still named he agreed to give them s portion of the proceeds. Now if the daughter gets all of the money I would hope that she will pay for the funeral and give the rest to the husbanf/boyfreind. I have not talked with any of the involved since last week so all of this is from a family member that I know and the company rep. I am staying out of it.

Back