Frustrated Agent-with End User

Roenick27

Expert
For once, this has nothing really to do with the lead company, but the end user. I have experience with leads etc, but to me this has gotten worse and worse each day. We get the lead, call the person, and they only want an e-mailed quote. After explaining (or trying to) that we need to verify info, sell policies, not quotes etc...you name it, I've tried it, the end user will not verify anything.

Is there any action that can be taken? If I am correct, most of the websites state that you will be getting calls from a local agent to verify this info etc. At the end of the day, they are increasing my own personal rates through their (I won't use any words in here) actions. These are people that have admitted to filling out the info, but yet refuse to verify the type of car etc.

I'd be interested to hear some reactions from others...

For once, this has nothing really to do with the lead company, but the end user. I have experience with leads etc, but to me this has gotten worse and worse each day. We get the lead, call the person, and they only want an e-mailed quote. After explaining (or trying to) that we need to verify info, sell policies, not quotes etc...you name it, I've tried it, the end user will not verify anything.

Is there any action that can be taken? If I am correct, most of the websites state that you will be getting calls from a local agent to verify this info etc. At the end of the day, they are increasing my own personal rates through their (I won't use any words in here) actions. These are people that have admitted to filling out the info, but yet refuse to verify the type of car etc.

I'd be interested to hear some reactions from others...

It's incredibly common. No, most lead generating sites don't go out of their way to make it clear there will be calls. It's in there if you look for it, but putting that in the consumer's face is considered a deterrent, and it is. A lot of people looking for stuff online don't want to talk to anyone right then (or sometimes at all). You have to account for that.

It sounds like your conversation is going something like this; (You)"Hello, we're XYZ agency responding to your quote request. We need to verify this info to complete your quote, OK?" (Them)"No thank you." (You)"I understand your hesitancy, but it's important because XYZ." (Them)"No thank you." Pretty close?

Anyone who was hoping not to talk to anyone is going to take that out every time. Can we verify this? No. All they're hearing is, "Do you want to talk about this?" No, they don't. They know they can get quotes online/emailed and they'll blow you off and continue pursuing them if you make it easy/comfortable to do so.

Here are 2 good approaches. The easiest is to take the option of verifying info away and just start doing it. (You) "Hi, this is XYZ agency responding to your quote request. It's a 2010 Civic EX, correct?" (Them)"Yes." (You)"Any other drivers in the household?" (Them)"No." (You)"Birthdate is XX/XX/XXXX?" etc. Yes/No questions immediately, get them into a rhythm of answering them until they subconsciously buy in and your app is finished. It's like the car sales approach of just saying, "Follow me," and walking inside instead of saying, "Would you like to go inside, sit down and discuss buying the car?" They may know both actions mean the same thing, but a high % of people will just go along if it's assumed like that.

The other one is plain charm. If the agent calling the leads is likable and can establish rapport quickly people will go along just to be nice or because they're enjoying the conversation. Making light of how many calls/emails the consumer is probably getting can work along with a million other anecdotes/jokes. You either have that charm or you don't, which is why the first approach is better for most.

What works for me with these people sometimes is to tell them I need to verify their information so I can make sure they're getting all the discounts available. It doesn't always work, but saying I might be able to make the quote cheaper does work more than other things.

It's incredibly common. No, most lead generating sites don't go out of their way to make it clear there will be calls. It's in there if you look for it, but putting that in the consumer's face is considered a deterrent, and it is. A lot of people looking for stuff online don't want to talk to anyone right then (or sometimes at all). You have to account for that.

It sounds like your conversation is going something like this; (You)"Hello, we're XYZ agency responding to your quote request. We need to verify this info to complete your quote, OK?" (Them)"No thank you." (You)"I understand your hesitancy, but it's important because XYZ." (Them)"No thank you." Pretty close?

Anyone who was hoping not to talk to anyone is going to take that out every time. Can we verify this? No. All they're hearing is, "Do you want to talk about this?" No, they don't. They know they can get quotes online/emailed and they'll blow you off and continue pursuing them if you make it easy/comfortable to do so.

Here are 2 good approaches. The easiest is to take the option of verifying info away and just start doing it. (You) "Hi, this is XYZ agency responding to your quote request. It's a 2010 Civic EX, correct?" (Them)"Yes." (You)"Any other drivers in the household?" (Them)"No." (You)"Birthdate is XX/XX/XXXX?" etc. Yes/No questions immediately, get them into a rhythm of answering them until they subconsciously buy in and your app is finished. It's like the car sales approach of just saying, "Follow me," and walking inside instead of saying, "Would you like to go inside, sit down and discuss buying the car?" They may know both actions mean the same thing, but a high % of people will just go along if it's assumed like that.

The other one is plain charm. If the agent calling the leads is likable and can establish rapport quickly people will go along just to be nice or because they're enjoying the conversation. Making light of how many calls/emails the consumer is probably getting can work along with a million other anecdotes/jokes. You either have that charm or you don't, which is why the first approach is better for most.

Thanks buddy. I've been there, done that. I can get through to most to verify at least enough to do a legit quote. I guess maybe today was just the straw that broke the proverbial back...
I just feel like we all know what the lead companies are doing, but when the end user is basically giving everyone a rate increase, is there something that can be done to curb that (moreso from a legal standpoint than to get the quote done)

Thanks buddy. I've been there, done that. I can get through to most to verify at least enough to do a legit quote. I guess maybe today was just the straw that broke the proverbial back...
I just feel like we all know what the lead companies are doing, but when the end user is basically giving everyone a rate increase, is there something that can be done to curb that (moreso from a legal standpoint than to get the quote done)

I'm not sure what you mean; how is the end user is giving everyone a rate increase?

I'm not sure what you mean; how is the end user is giving everyone a rate increase?

I'm a captive. So we pay for the leads but the companies subsidize us, so essentially they are paying for say half. So basically their costs increase, and they pass it on to the policy holders.

I don't mind the leads. I just had one too many today do that. Then add that in top of all of the totally bogus leads, and sometimes we need to vent a bit.

I would think if the end users realized that these cost money and that eventually they will possibly end up with an increase, then maybe they will think twice about doing what they do or at least give us 30 seconds of their ever so valuable time

I'm a captive. So we pay for the leads but the companies subsidize us, so essentially they are paying for say half. So basically their costs increase, and they pass it on to the policy holders.

I don't mind the leads. I just had one too many today do that. Then add that in top of all of the totally bogus leads, and sometimes we need to vent a bit.

I would think if the end users realized that these cost money and that eventually they will possibly end up with an increase, then maybe they will think twice about doing what they do or at least give us 30 seconds of their ever so valuable time

That's a pretty vague link. That money likely would've been spent on something else (more TV commercial time, perhaps) as opposed to a direct correlation to rate increases. Frustration is fine, but don't try to connect that many dots in your head.

Excellent thread here guys. Can you all tell me what your return on investment with leads has been? I've heard too many agencies say they just seem to break even with them because of the number of unqualified leads or those prospects who just won't cooperate with you over the phone.

Hayato
closingcommercial.com

I'll respectfully agree to disagree. Plus it's my opinion and I know others that feel the same way. im not sure what you actually meant in your response and if I'm taking it at a different tone than it was intended, but at the end of the day it's money out of the pockets of the agent and the mother company that could be curtailed.
That's a pretty vague link. That money likely would've been spent on something else (more TV commercial time, perhaps) as opposed to a direct correlation to rate increases. Frustration is fine, but don't try to connect that many dots in your head.

Back