Licensing Test Too Hard, Just Make It Easier, Says Primerica...

Re: Licensing Test Too Hard, Just Make It Easier, Says Primerica.

I'll get blasted for this but I can take it:

Good for Primerica....not trying to make the test easier but getting down and dirty and the ground level and getting people life insurance.

Overpriced? Yes. But if I died tomorrow I'm not too sure my wife could give a cr*p about what I paid.

Overpriced life is better than no life and what are YOU doing as a life agent to be VERY aggressive to get a ton of people covered. Or are you leaning back in your office chair trying to figure out how to write 2 policies a week.

Life sales have been in the decline for the past few years and to me it's simple - lazy agents. You see a lot of Primeria agents posting on this board? No - because they're working.

I'll get blasted for this but I can take it:

Good for Primerica....not trying to make the test easier but getting down and dirty and the ground level and getting people life insurance.

Overpriced? Yes. But if I died tomorrow I'm not too sure my wife could give a cr*p about what I paid.

Overpriced life is better than no life and what are YOU doing as a life agent to be VERY aggressive to get a ton of people covered. Or are you leaning back in your office chair trying to figure out how to write 2 policies a week.

Life sales have been in the decline for the past few years and to me it's simple - lazy agents. You see a lot of Primeria agents posting on this board? No - because they're working.

You can make a lot of money selling two life policies a week. I find it ironic that Primerica preaches BTID, but they sell overpriced term life insurance. If they really wanted people to invest the difference, wouldn't they want to buy the absolute cheapest term life insurance available?

If Primerica actually sold insurance, that would be one thing. But how many policies are they putting in force every year, how many policies does the average agent write?

There is no point in comparing premium, with absolutely no permanent products, they aren't even in the same league when it comes to premium dollars. But with as many agents as they have, they should be putting in force at least as many as any big company, State Farm, New York Life, Northwestern Mutual, MetLife excluding worksite, etc. They really should be putting in force more than the next ten combined. No numbers, but my gut says they are probably no higher than 20 top in new policies issued.

Sure, the insurance company actually sells insurance, and they do sell some policies every year. The field force lives off of contracting fees and overrides.

A lot of Primerica policies fall off after Uncle Harry quits the business in 2 months. The worst thing about what they do is replace (or try to) good universal and whole life policies that have been in force and are picking up steam. It's like having a chef work on your car. Great company.

I met with two of them recently in KY. As I walked across a 2 x 8 board that they used as the sidewalk to get in their house which was a trailor in a mud pit, the first thing I noticed was they had 7 teeth of various shaded of purple and green between two people.
They were Primerica agents for 5 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I believe these two passed the licensing test.

Did you make the sale?

Last edited:

Make it harder! The reason many states enacted pre-licensing requirements was BECAUSE of Primerica's past activities.

Yes, you need some competence and intelligence to advise the public in complex areas of insurance.

Of course, if they "dumb down" the insurance exams, it'll make my ChFC look like I've got a freakin PhD!

Funny. I am a highschool drop out, and took the test just 3 years later, before I started college. I knew nothing about the financial world, and came out of cooking/ management in a restaurant. I passed the test on my first try!

Make it harder, I say! Weed out some of the ignorant people selling things that will affect people's lives indefinitely (or at least til they meet a real agent).

Primerica is a crap company. They tried recruiting me before I started with State Farm. Once I learned more about the industry, I was extremely happy I declined their offers. I do, however, give them a low-five for at least pushing life insurance to people. It plants the seeds for other agents to grow off of after they realize they've been ripped off.

You know, this isn't new. Primerica has been pushing for years for states to adopt a term only life license, which much easier testing requirements. Apparently they don't want to know anything about those rip off permanent products. Keeps the recruits from asking questions if all they learn is term anyway.

Back