only 35 comments on CMS 2024 proposed Rule!

azmedsupagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
There are 24 days left, during the comment period anyone can comment and let CMS know what they think about these proposed rules. So far there are only 35 comments! With the number of members on this forum we could really have our voices heard if everyone goes and posts a comment about the removal of "when practicable" from the 48hr rule. Imagine if it went from 35 comments to several hundred in a matter of days, all comments against the removal of "when practicable" for the 48hr soa. They might just listen!

Go make your voices heard! Comment at the following link, its super easy! [EXTERNAL LINK] - Regulations.gov

Here is the comment I posted.

"Re: CMS Proposed Rule 48hr scope of appointment changes
It is important to consider that well meaning regulation may actually have a negative impact on the Medicare beneficiaries CMS is trying to protect.
Seniors can, shop for a mortgage, purchase a car, make investment and insurance decisions without a requirment that they wait 48hrs before receiving information from their advisor. Yet when they turn 65 suddenly they are infantilized and are told that they can not receive information on their Medicare Part C and Part D coverage options until 48hrs have passed from the date of their request.

48hrs will pass and eventually they will be sitting accros from that agent or back on the phone with them and they are no safer at that point then they were 48hrs ago. Therefore, the 48hr SOA requirment is entirely ineffective at protecting seniors. All it does is make it even more difficult for them to get the information they need to make an educated coverage decision.

In the proposed rule it is stated that "The reasons for why a meeting must occur within the 48 hour timeframe are numerous and subjective, meaning what is practicable for one person may not be practicable for another,". This statement is entirely true, and it is also exactly the reason " When practicable" should be included in the final rule. By removing "when practicable " you eliminate the ability of the benficiary to make the choice on thier own about when and where they would like to receive that information. This only serves to add an additional obstacle that the beneficiary must deal with before receiving guidance and information.

There is no other financial product in existence that requires a 48hr cooling off period before even talking about the product. The 48hr SOA requirement does nothing to protect medicare benficiaries becuase ultimately the 48hrs will pass and they will be right back with that same agent and nothing will have changed from 48hrs prior. Because of this, the 48hr requirment does not actually protect medicare beneficiaries in any meaningful way. It only creates another obstacle on their path to suitable Part C and D coverage.

There are 24 days left, during the comment period anyone can comment and let CMS know what they think about these proposed rules. So far there are only 35 comments! With the number of members on this forum we could really have our voices heard if everyone goes and posts a comment about the removal of "when practicable" from the 48hr rule. Imagine if it went from 35 comments to several hundred in a matter of days, all comments against the removal of "when practicable" for the 48hr soa. They might just listen!

Go make your voices heard! Comment at the following link, its super easy! [EXTERNAL LINK] - Regulations.gov

Here is the comment I posted.

"Re: CMS Proposed Rule 48hr scope of appointment changes
It is important to consider that well meaning regulation may actually have a negative impact on the Medicare beneficiaries CMS is trying to protect.
Seniors can, shop for a mortgage, purchase a car, make investment and insurance decisions without a requirment that they wait 48hrs before receiving information from their advisor. Yet when they turn 65 suddenly they are infantilized and are told that they can not receive information on their Medicare Part C and Part D coverage options until 48hrs have passed from the date of their request.

48hrs will pass and eventually they will be sitting accros from that agent or back on the phone with them and they are no safer at that point then they were 48hrs ago. Therefore, the 48hr SOA requirment is entirely ineffective at protecting seniors. All it does is make it even more difficult for them to get the information they need to make an educated coverage decision.

In the proposed rule it is stated that "The reasons for why a meeting must occur within the 48 hour timeframe are numerous and subjective, meaning what is practicable for one person may not be practicable for another,". This statement is entirely true, and it is also exactly the reason " When practicable" should be included in the final rule. By removing "when practicable " you eliminate the ability of the benficiary to make the choice on thier own about when and where they would like to receive that information. This only serves to add an additional obstacle that the beneficiary must deal with before receiving guidance and information.

There is no other financial product in existence that requires a 48hr cooling off period before even talking about the product. The 48hr SOA requirement does nothing to protect medicare benficiaries becuase ultimately the 48hrs will pass and they will be right back with that same agent and nothing will have changed from 48hrs prior. Because of this, the 48hr requirment does not actually protect medicare beneficiaries in any meaningful way. It only creates another obstacle on their path to suitable Part C and D coverage.

Won't the "48-hour" rule protect the senior from overzealous telemarketers? If the telemarketer has to get permission on first contact and then 48 hours later to finish, well goodbye Mr telemarketer! My retention would go up and many less questions about "Should I get a Part C?" throughout the AEPs.
Most of my appointments are in-homes, but I could easily postpone my telephonics for a later time 48 hours or more later after they call in. There would be times like maybe the last few days of the month to meet deadline for the next effective date. But, what exactly is wrong with the 48-hour rule that we couldn't live with?

Last edited:
CMS hates and mistrusts agents IMHO:

I saw that video this am . Honestly based on last yrs upheaval from agents and nahu . All the bitching changed nothing . Cms listens to no one .Obviously on paper the 48 soa should eliminate most national call centers . Being face to face I’ll simply do paper apps 100% and backdate the soa . Everything’s getting tougher for the agent . Also all agent complaints will be sent from the carrier to cms next yr . The carrier must police agents more ..Right now carriers 99% ask am agent to respond and it dies . Next yr cms could mess with the agent directly. Renewals could be more at risk . If your dealing with mapd and the public your going to run into trouble people occasionally. If you use leads even more so . I’m already walking from many more people . If something smells I walk .

I saw that video this am . Honestly based on last yrs upheaval from agents and nahu . All the bitching changed nothing . Cms listens to no one .Obviously on paper the 48 soa should eliminate most national call centers . Being face to face I’ll simply do paper apps 100% and backdate the soa . Everything’s getting tougher for the agent . Also all agent complaints will be sent from the carrier to cms next yr . The carrier must police agents more ..Right now carriers 99% ask am agent to respond and it dies . Next yr cms could mess with the agent directly. Renewals could be more at risk . If your dealing with mapd and the public your going to run into trouble people occasionally. If you use leads even more so . I’m already walking from many more people . If something smells I walk .

With the money they have they'll simply ignore the rules and create fictitious SOAs if ever questioned.

Shocking that this won't stop bad actors.

You really think CMS will listen to agents? They are trying to figure out how to get more of the Medicare money in the politician’s pockets aren’t they?

How hard would it be to bust agents buying the offshore telemarketers leads that break every rules and drive seniors crazy? They could shut that shit down in a week. If agents weren’t buying those leads those calls would dry up.

no, instead of doing that, they choose to impose heavy handed regulation on every agent in the country. Doesn’t that tell you it’s more about control than fixing the problem?

So they believe that by giving 48 hours from the time of the phone discussion that the agent is going to look even harder for the best plan, the member. We already do this! if seniors don't know these rules, then they're not protecting anybody ,In my opinion, the way they could protect somebody is After the sale, submit the application into a 48 hour hold stage before processing begins. This gives the beneficiary time to think about the decision that they have made. Potentially talk to somebody else. Get family member opinions. With captive agents they generally have one product so 48scope doesn't help a senior in anyway as they have nothing to research, its their product or lose the sale.

So they believe that by giving 48 hours from the time of the phone discussion that the agent is going to look even harder for the best plan, the member. We already do this! if seniors don't know these rules, then they're not protecting anybody ,In my opinion, the way they could protect somebody is After the sale, submit the application into a 48 hour hold stage before processing begins. This gives the beneficiary time to think about the decision that they have made. Potentially talk to somebody else. Get family member opinions. With captive agents they generally have one product so 48scope doesn't help a senior in anyway as they have nothing to research, its their product or lose the sale.

Unfortunately, doing it your way would give the agent the chance of casting a diabolical spell on the applicant that would basically compel them to enroll into the plan that agent presented. That would not be fair to the applicant.

Back