Received an Offer to Be a Financial Advisor. Should I Do It?

EJ is a joke of an operation and those payouts are not good for a RR. The salary looks nice but similar to insurance career shops they will say anything to get you in the door.

I have heard that ED Jones is a good place to start. May I ask why you think jones is a superior opportunity?

Read all of the stuff we told you about doing AFLAC. That is why it is a superior opportunity. With EDJ you will get training and you will have a living wage at the start. What you do from there is your up to you. The question with EDJ is do you want to do investments or do you want to do insurance. I think for you at this point with your understanding of the business it doesn't matter. At EDJ you will get training and experience. It is a place to start.

I will go with jones then. Should I even consider doing Aflac on the side? Or any other insurance for that matter?

Forget AFLAC if you do EDJ. You cannot do AFLAC without reporting it as outside business activity to EDJ and FINRA. What your hiring person tells you about being able to sell AFLAC is worthless it is what the EDJ compliance office says. Once you are a registered rep EDJ and FINRA owns you and control what you can do. Everything you do has to go through compliance. This includes any advertising or flyers, the website, etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I figured I would do one or the other full time, didn't hurt to ask though.

would you guys say the failure rate of a financial advisor is the same as an insurance agent? I have heard there is A LOT more door knocking involved as an FA.

I think EDJ makes you do residential door knocking for the first year.
No hard numbers, but would wager a LOT that Ed Jones success rate is higher than average. A little pickier about who they take. AFLAC has to take anything that can fog a mirror (and even some that can't) due to horrendous turnover.
EJ is known for having excellent methods to help new folks market themselves successfully. Door knocking is part of it.

My money is with M&M your chance of success are probably 100% higher with EDJ than with AFLAC.

Last edited:
is it worth being under all that compliance and door knocking?

Yes it is for you! You need training and experience. I think you will find the door knocking easier and more enjoyable than cold calling. Once you gain training and experience you can figure out if you want to be an R&R or not. Many of us have been R&R and decided we it wasn't worth it.
x, did you go authentic and wash it down with grape Kool-Aid?

Nope, I didn't know that was authentic.

Last edited:
Robert, good decision to go with EDJ. I think you have better odds of being successful with them for sure...and the others are right..you won't be able to do both...you'll run around wasting time with Aflac..and for low commissions.

I should know..been with them for over five years (hey, I'm stubborn) and one step away from welfare. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration..I make an ok living. But very few do! I've also started doing more Life with other carriers cause...well did I mention the Aflac commissions were low? Anyway good luck RB.

Been lurking here a little while...guess that was my introduction..hey all

Crabcake Johnny said:
This is starting to sound like a conversation about your buddy saying he'll take you out to any place you choose and you're torn between Ruth's Chris and Chick-fil-A.

I went to Ruth Chris for the first time last weekend and was not thrilled with meal. The steak was not any better than the steak at the Japanese steal houses around here. So I would vote chick-fil-A on this one.

Back