What Was Your First Appointment Like?

My first day was one of my best. I had 5 appointments. I wrote my first with 5 Star which later canceled though. Then wrote a single and a double made one presentation and had a no show. 4 apps out of 5 appointments on my first day. I thought I was The Man. Now I know better. Just like the blind squirrel.

Well my first day was this past Saturday. I was using TM leads. Called Friday to set appts, and I was only able to set 1. Mostly my fault as I just choked when they gave an objection. So Saturday I went out and DK'ed about 3 people before my appt, which turned out to be at a women & childrens shelter. I was nervous pretty much all day, but it got better once the day went on and I got used to knocking on strangers doors lol.
So anyway my appt went pretty well, I warmed up with the lady, then fumbled through my presentation (i realized I was talking without taking a breath a few times lol), and I was about to start filling out the app when she told me she didnt have a bank account!
She had been living at the shelter for almost a year, worked part time, and was pretty healthy. So anyways she said she was going to get a bank account this week and I'll meet up with her and hopefully write her.
After that I doorknocked about 13 people but no luck, there was one lady with a globe life policy,that seemed a little interested, but didnt feel well, so I may try her again this weekend.
Anyways all in all it wasn't too bad, I at least got some experience and it helped to get over the nervousness. Hopefully Ill be writing some apps this weekend!

Well my first day was this past Saturday. I was using TM leads. Called Friday to set appts, and I was only able to set 1. Mostly my fault as I just choked when they gave an objection. So Saturday I went out and DK'ed about 3 people before my appt, which turned out to be at a women & childrens shelter. I was nervous pretty much all day, but it got better once the day went on and I got used to knocking on strangers doors lol. So anyway my appt went pretty well, I warmed up with the lady, then fumbled through my presentation (i realized I was talking without taking a breath a few times lol), and I was about to start filling out the app when she told me she didnt have a bank account! She had been living at the shelter for almost a year, worked part time, and was pretty healthy. So anyways she said she was going to get a bank account this week and I'll meet up with her and hopefully write her. After that I doorknocked about 13 people but no luck, there was one lady with a globe life policy,that seemed a little interested, but didnt feel well, so I may try her again this weekend. Anyways all in all it wasn't too bad, I at least got some experience and it helped to get over the nervousness. Hopefully Ill be writing some apps this weekend!

Good for you for DK'ing those leads! That's the attitude it takes to win.

On the lady who wasn't feeling well, you'll get that sometimes, even from set appts. My advice is to stress that it'll only take 5 minutes and you'll be out of their hair. I've made some big sales by not accepting that at the door.

Well my first day was this past Saturday. I was using TM leads. Called Friday to set appts, and I was only able to set 1. Mostly my fault as I just choked when they gave an objection. So Saturday I went out and DK'ed about 3 people before my appt, which turned out to be at a women & childrens shelter. I was nervous pretty much all day, but it got better once the day went on and I got used to knocking on strangers doors lol.
So anyway my appt went pretty well, I warmed up with the lady, then fumbled through my presentation (i realized I was talking without taking a breath a few times lol), and I was about to start filling out the app when she told me she didnt have a bank account!
She had been living at the shelter for almost a year, worked part time, and was pretty healthy. So anyways she said she was going to get a bank account this week and I'll meet up with her and hopefully write her.
After that I doorknocked about 13 people but no luck, there was one lady with a globe life policy,that seemed a little interested, but didnt feel well, so I may try her again this weekend.
Anyways all in all it wasn't too bad, I at least got some experience and it helped to get over the nervousness. Hopefully Ill be writing some apps this weekend!

Hey great job. That's the best you could've done short of making a sale.
I know you only can work weekends but you may want to try to hot a few doors Wed or Thursday just to keep in the groove. It's a whole new ball game and the reps help break through the nervousness.
I don't really get nervous anymore but I do have days where I just don't seem to have it. I tell my wife I came home early because I was just wasting leads (This doesn't happen very often tho cause I keep pushing myself to get outta the funk).

Well, not technically my first appointment but it is my first time out after taking a 3 year hiatus. Basically I witnessed the hit and run of a 47 year old lady a couple of weeks ago. She did not live and the event prompted me to stop being so lazy after working my 9-5 as there are too many people out there that need our help.

Enter Frank, a natural market prospect (co-worker) whom I've known for 4 years now. Frank has a 6 month old son, a new wife of a year, and still owes about 100K on his home. The icing on the cake (well not really) is that two weeks ago Frank found out that his department will be severed on July 31, 2015.

OK... so this guy has to have a need... right? He's got a few if you ask me. Term insurance through the job will be ending, no mortgage protection in place… I figure yes, I’ve hit the jack pot my first day out. So, I decided to strike while the iron was hot. I met with Frank and his wife last Thursday night. I arrived at the home at 7:30 (agreed upon time to meet). After 30 minutes of small talk with Frank his wife finally joined us once the kid’s bath was complete. I greeted her, kissed the baby and continued my warm up, now with the two of them together.

Long story short, this appointment wore me out. Franks is not a guy I wanted to push the sale on even though he probably needed me to do that. The wife is the planner of the family as she’s already had the foresight to place a 15K IUL on Frank, a 25K IUL on the 6 month old, and she swears that she has a 15K IUL on herself even though she couldn’t locate it after I made her get up to grab the policies for my “No Charge Policy Review”. I stumbled through a mixed presentation (mixed because I combined methods of two former places I’ve worked).

I did a half @$$ job of closing. I did not write and felt disappointed after leaving because I know there’s a need in the house but I didn’t push. I think it had more to do with me being drained by 9pm as I had been up since 5am, worked an 8 hour shift at my normal job and didn’t meet with them until 7:30pm. I left, what I thought would be my way back in the house by giving them a homework assignment. 1 - Find out if she has a policy on herself and 2 - Find out the face amounts of current policies as they weren’t sure. I told them I’d be back next week to follow up with their questions.

Well, I called Frank yesterday to get back into the house tonight and was shut down. I got the standard… “I’ll reach back out to you once I check with the wife to confirm a time.” I should have wrote them that first night because I may not get back in there to help them out and its killing me knowing that I didn’t push the sale. That appointment went nowhere near the route I thought it would go. Frank is a smart guy who loves to do the right thing by his family BUT, with objections like “I’m losing my job and don’t want to create any new monthly expenses… Yes that sounds good but I want to think about it… ect” make me think differently about this guy. Now I'm trying to walk the line of friend / pushy salesman and trying not to tick Frank off so that I'm barred from the house indefinitely...

Last edited:
Doesn't matter.

He has no WANT. "Need" is logical thing, logic doesn't sell. Never did, never will!

...So Moonlight, how do I transfer his obvious need into a WANT for him? I've brought the baby into the conversation... mentioned the relief his wife would have by having a home that paid for should something happen to him, ect... Is this a case of needing to push more? Is he just too selfish at this time to consider IYO?

...So Moonlight, how do I transfer his obvious need into a WANT for him? I've brought the baby into the conversation... mentioned the relief his wife would have by having a home that paid for should something happen to him, ect... Is this a case of needing to push more? Is he just too selfish at this time to consider IYO?
"Think you would sleep better tonight knowing that no matter what happens, regardless of financial conditions at the time - your child is able to enjoy a decent standard of living - even though you're not around?"

The guy's uncertainty (he's losing his job!) is the biggest problem. He's not a prospect right now. He's more worried about supporting his family now than in the future.

"Think you would sleep better tonight knowing that no matter what happens, regardless of financial conditions at the time - your child is able to enjoy a decent standard of living - even though you're not around?"

The guy's uncertainty (he's losing his job!) is the biggest problem. He's not a prospect right now. He's more worried about supporting his family now than in the future.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for getting me out of my own head!

~J

Back