Windows Tablets

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Anyone have any experience with Windows based tablets. Any reviews?
Do they run any company illustration software? Do they run any software? Will they sync with Gmail and Google calendar?

Thanks,

Lee

Windows 8 will run most insurance company illustration programs. Any program using 2005 SQL server won't run (database & paperless applications). I also had issues with InsMark software using Windows 8 Pro.

If you're looking for a tablet, make sure you find one with Windows 8 Pro, not Windows 8 RT. The RT version only runs "windows 8 apps" and Microsoft office.

Windows 8 will run most insurance company illustration programs. Any program using 2005 SQL server won't run (database & paperless applications). I also had issues with InsMark software using Windows 8 Pro.

If you're looking for a tablet, make sure you find one with Windows 8 Pro, not Windows 8 RT. The RT version only runs "windows 8 apps" and Microsoft office.

Great tip on PRO. I would not have known that.

Lee

I haven't used them but pro also allows you to write with a stylus/pen with a pointy tip rather than all other tablets that have the big round tip that seems real clunky.

That's a big improvement to me.

I would wait until mid October as the newest versions will be coming out. They will include Windows 8.1 and the new Haswell processors from Intel. The Surface 2 Pro is looking to be a sold machine.

Last edited:
I would wait until mid October as the newest versions will be coming out. They will include Windows 8.1 and the new Haswell processers from Intel. The Surface 2 Pro is looking to be a sold machine.

I started looking them up last night and that seems to be the thought so far. And maybe better battery life. Pricey, but may be that alternative to an ultrabook I have been thinking about.

Last week I bought an Aviva convertible laptop/tablet with Windows 8pro.. Thing was so slow that when typing a document in Office, the appearance of the letters on the screen would be 7 or 8 words behind.. Used it one day and returned it.. I really liked the size of it, the touchscreen and the fact it ran all of my companies' software, (but slowly) that my Android tablet will not run.. Wished it had worked. Lesson, be sure you try a model before you buy it unless the store has a good return policy.

Back