Windows XP Diehards

I've been a die hard XP user. My laptop still has it, but I had to move to 7 on my desktop just recently. I was hating that I had to, but honestly... gotta say I'm very happy with 7 in the couple weeks I've used it.

I've been a die hard XP user. My laptop still has it, but I had to move to 7 on my desktop just recently. I was hating that I had to, but honestly... gotta say I'm very happy with 7 in the couple weeks I've used it.

It's Windows 8 that us driving me nuts bought the wife a new laptop touch screen etc and it has Windows 8 they completely changed how you deal with the file system. I don't use it enough to master it but there is something wrong when everytime the wife asks how to do something with it I am off to a Google search or YouTube video.

Yep. Windows 8 is a whole different animal.

My buddy owns a computer business. He's told me for years to NEVER get the latest version of anything, always go one back. The newest versions typically have bugs that take time to iron out, whereas if you buy one version back they have already ironed them out by then. And in the case of 8 - its a totally different setup, with bugs on top which makes a lot of folks hate it. He put 7 professional on my new pc a few weeks ago, and I plan to upgrade my laptop here soon and have it installed on there as well.

Windows 7 is awesome. I was very pleased by the improvements over XP. I never used Vista, but I heard plenty of complaining from people that did.

I'd probably wait for the replacement of Windows 8 before upgrading again. Although I do understand that 8.1 fixed a lot of the problems.

XP's retirement has been clearly foretold for several years now, and any individual or organization that wants to keep hanging on can do so but they shouldn't cry foul - lol. They've been told and been warned and then some!

Aside from the extended sunset support for the very biggest companies, that by the way requires a legitimate migration plan, there are things that can be done to avoid the worst possible outcomes...

But from what I have seen from a small, unscientific sample of the insurance agencies I work with, few people are willing to do anything at all. Really. I have been truly amazed, and dismayed. Some people don't believe what they are hearing from all sides about XP and prefer to believe that since they can't see (or perhaps grasp) the security issues and threats, they don't need to do anything...

No 11th hour check to see that their XP machines have updated patches from Windows Update. No checking to see if their Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware is up to date. No checking their hardware "firewall" to see if it is up to date, or even if it is doing anything at all for them since many of these units are 10 years old, blanketed in dust. No check for compatibility with Windows 7. No plans to replace 10+ year old PCs, etc. etc...

If you're going to stick with XP no matter what, then I would say you should at least try to limit your exposure. My two cents would be to:
(a) Find a tech who has at least the key updates for XP on hand that you might be missing and get them installed.
(b) Make system restore discs, consider making full system backups, definitely put some sort of ongoing data backup in place that runs at least daily/nightly.
(c) Figure out what security software you can run on XP without crushing your older PCs: get it and keep it updated.
(d) Remind your staff that their behavior on the Internet and with their email also determines the security (or lack thereof) of their machines - tighten up policies if you deem that appropriate.
(e) If you have more than a few PCs then it may make a lot of sense to secure your network as well. Disclosure: I am a partner with Cisco, Sophos, Dell/SonicWall and WatchGuard all of whom sell security products, so I am biased. However, regardless of who you might go with, I can honestly say that having an advanced firewall helping to protect your XP machines is a very good idea if you can afford it.

Then, make a plan to migrate off of Windows XP before 2015! ;)

Back