Windows XP Diehards

So is it to late for me to express my outrage over the lack of updates to my operating system of choice what I grew up with MS-DOS?

I'm curious, which browser were you using with DOS?

On another note, I use the DOS prompt (CMD) ALL THE TIME.

I still have some DOS software for maintaining data - which doesn't work in a 64 bit OS.

I still use Wordstar - all the time. There are some things you can do easily with Wordstar, that you can't do with Word.

Why is it new software can't do the things old software did, and just as easily?

Having said all that, these are side issue. I can continue to run XP "offline", such as my main computer which I will not expose to the web, and it really doesn't matter which OS I run on the web. Maybe I should make the jump to Linux.

But I find it funny (not haha funny) that there are those who don't grasp the size of the problem Microsoft is creating by simply cutting the cord on XP. I would love to know what the annual cost to support and patch XP is, versus the cost of potential litigation and reputation for cutting it cold turkey.

Even WORSE is the idea that they might continue to upgrade security for some users (who pay) and NOT for others for whom the upgrade would be a simple freebee copy of what they are already doing for the group that pay.

Why not offer an XP support program for $19.95 per year for 2014, $29.95 per year for 2015, etc. There are ways to wean people off without creating a catastrophic problem.

Why doesn't Microsoft create an 8.1 "lite" which is a 32 bit XP lookalike, that has all the guts and security of 8.1 and works like XP, and which will upgraded from XP without having to require the user to re-install all their software. After all, the tile interface has clearly been a bust for many, and now Microsoft is doing reversion work and calling it an upgrade.

I'm curious, which browser were you using with DOS?

On another note, I use the DOS prompt (CMD) ALL THE TIME.

I still have some DOS software for maintaining data - which doesn't work in a 64 bit OS.

I still use Wordstar - all the time. There are some things you can do easily with Wordstar, that you can't do with Word.

Why is it new software can't do the things old software did, and just as easily?

Having said all that, these are side issue. I can continue to run XP "offline", such as my main computer which I will not expose to the web, and it really doesn't matter which OS I run on the web. Maybe I should make the jump to Linux.

But I find it funny (not haha funny) that there are those who don't grasp the size of the problem Microsoft is creating by simply cutting the cord on XP. I would love to know what the annual cost to support and patch XP is, versus the cost of potential litigation and reputation for cutting it cold turkey.

Even WORSE is the idea that they might continue to upgrade security for some users (who pay) and NOT for others for whom the upgrade would be a simple freebee copy of what they are already doing for the group that pay.

Why not offer an XP support program for $19.95 per year for 2014, $29.95 per year for 2015, etc. There are ways to wean people off without creating a catastrophic problem.

Why doesn't Microsoft create an 8.1 "lite" which is a 32 bit XP lookalike, that has all the guts and security of 8.1 and works like XP, and which will upgraded from XP without having to require the user to re-install all their software. After all, the tile interface has clearly been a bust for many, and now Microsoft is doing reversion work and calling it an upgrade.

Robert....I was using some sarcasm with the DOS comment, though with DOS I felt more in control of what the OS was actually doing.

Only Microsoft can create a problem with computers that can rival the "Y2K" crap 15 years ago.

It is easy to blame Microsoft, but how exactly is this their problem? Companies have sunset applications for years. Heck, Y2K was a sunsetting problem. Those programs should have been replaced years if not decades ago, but the companies never did.

As soon as Windows 7 was released, the writing was on the wall for XP.

And it begins:

Expect to see more: Microsoft hates you, we love you.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it begins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK-R2rCJFM

Expect to see more: Microsoft hates you, we love you.

Yes yes, great propaganda. If they can make a buck, great. I just adore the view on this, an OS that is over a dozen years old stops getting support and it's "abandoning".

Riddle me this, how long should they support it? 20 years? 30 years? 100 years? I'd think anything over 10 years was a bonus, but definitely curious to hear your answer.

Back