Educational Events, Mailers, and Lists

There are clearly some issues some don't know about. "Giving someone a chance" does not involve requiring an already licensed agent to not get paid for hours and hours of unnecessary "mentoring." Then ride around all day for weeks on end with you (when you are 8 mons pregnant) for 3 months for no pay, and also have an agreement to work as an agent with a 50/50 commision split. Then to change up the responsibilities by turning you into basically a receptionist and "screen calls" without pay. Not only that, but host seminars where I was required to laod heavy equipment from 4:30-10 at night with no pay. In addition to being paid incorrectly constantly/late. Not to mention I was told I was only paid half the commision (of course on leads the person in charge doesnt want) for exchange of the ability to use the customer service staff. However, I was told constantly that "they did not respect me" and therefore didn't want to handle my clients. I was contacted on weekends, nights, whenever and urged to do things beyond my job description. I was constantly putting up with inappropriate comments, sexual harrassment, and working for free. Asking someone who is married, has a family, and works for you to stay in a hotel 2 hours away with you for an unpaid "training" is not ok. A girl can only take so much talking down to before she tries to branch away on her own. I was ran off for selling on my own, yes. Best thing to ever happen to me. I prefer any advice that I may need to not require devoting my whole day without pay to ride around watching someone else sell policies to "show me how it's done".

----------

Also how can someone get "ran off" for selling with their own writing numbers whenhaving an agreement to split commision 50/50? Here is how: Not EVER contracting me with my own writing numbers and using all my business for over a year under their own writing number for trips/bonuses/thousands of dollars of renewals. Compliant? Nope

If that's the way it went down, the only thing I could fault you for is staying as long as you did.:yes:

There are clearly some issues some don't know about. "Giving someone a chance" does not involve requiring an already licensed agent to not get paid for hours and hours of unnecessary "mentoring." Then ride around all day for weeks on end with you (when you are 8 mons pregnant) for 3 months for no pay, and also have an agreement to work as an agent with a 50/50 commision split. Then to change up the responsibilities by turning you into basically a receptionist and "screen calls" without pay. Not only that, but host seminars where I was required to laod heavy equipment from 4:30-10 at night with no pay. In addition to being paid incorrectly constantly/late. Not to mention I was told I was only paid half the commision (of course on leads the person in charge doesnt want) for exchange of the ability to use the customer service staff. However, I was told constantly that "they did not respect me" and therefore didn't want to handle my clients. I was contacted on weekends, nights, whenever and urged to do things beyond my job description. I was constantly putting up with inappropriate comments, sexual harrassment, and working for free. Asking someone who is married, has a family, and works for you to stay in a hotel 2 hours away with you for an unpaid "training" is not ok. A girl can only take so much talking down to before she tries to branch away on her own. I was ran off for selling on my own, yes. Best thing to ever happen to me. I prefer any advice that I may need to not require devoting my whole day without pay to ride around watching someone else sell policies to "show me how it's done".

----------

Also how can someone get "ran off" for selling with their own writing numbers whenhaving an agreement to split commision 50/50? Here is how: Not EVER contracting me with my own writing numbers and using all my business for over a year under their own writing number for trips/bonuses/thousands of dollars of renewals. Compliant? Nope

Wow, that's terrible if true... And sounds like it was!

Yes it is true, and yes, my old boss was very intelligent, and I will admit knows much more about selling Insurance than me. He has a very friendly personality, and does seem like a likable person. He is also a master manipulator. He paints all free work outside of your job as "mentoring" and "if you want to succeed in this business." I put up with a lot, and yes, should have left sooner. I spent so many nights crying to my husband about being bullied and talked down to. I did so much free work. I may not be getting free leads now, (even though they're not free when you're urged to do things outside what you signed on for them) but atleast I have my freedom.

Yes it is true, and yes, my old boss was very intelligent, and I will admit knows much more about selling Insurance than me. He has a very friendly personality, and does seem like a likable person. He is also a master manipulator. He paints all free work outside of your job as "mentoring" and "if you want to succeed in this business." I put up with a lot, and yes, should have left sooner. I spent so many nights crying to my husband about being bullied and talked down to. I did so much free work. I may not be getting free leads now, (even though they're not free when you're urged to do things outside what you signed on for them) but atleast I have my freedom.

Since the OP came in with practical questions and never started by slamming anyone I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Not all men are
jerks or sexist, but more than enough make up for the rest of us. I wish you success, you might want to find out how someone like Susan Hatch in California has been doing this for years. She may be your best model.

Since the OP came in with practical questions and never started by slamming anyone I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Not all men are
jerks or sexist, but more than enough make up for the rest of us. I wish you success, you might want to find out how someone like Susan Hatch in California has been doing this for years. She may be your best model.

Is that the lady in Norcal that does med supp only seminars & doesn't do PDPs to avoid CMS compliance issues?

Last edited:
Thank you for all the positive and respectful advice!

Good luck Megan, let us know how it goes for u on your own now.

----------

She's located around Fresno. One of the top agents in the country, I'm led to believe.

I always wondered if I could do mailers up there for a seminar and get at least 25ppl to attend... It would be worth the travel. I did a DM T65s campaign that went decently well... But have no idea how to pull that off?

I always wondered if I could do mailers up there for a seminar and get at least 25ppl to attend... It would be worth the travel. I did a DM T65s campaign that went decently well... But have no idea how to pull that off?

If you'd want to do a seminar, why not do it closer to home in SoCal? Can't you say very generic things about MAPDs and PDPs, as long as you don't go into details about carriers, premiums, etc.? I'm referring to p. 7 of the Medigap booklet: https://www.medicare.gov/pubs/pdf/02110.pdf

Back