Educational Events, Mailers, and Lists

If you'd want to do a seminar, why not do it closer to home in SoCal? Can't you say very generic things about MAPDs and PDPs, as long as you don't go into details about carriers, premiums, etc.? I'm referring to p. 7 of the Medigap booklet: https://www.medicare.gov/pubs/pdf/02110.pdf

Cause it's hard to target enough med supp clientele in Socal, 90% of my clients here are on a MAPD plan. Then again I guess I could mail a higher income bracket, but I'm still not sure how many ppl would want supps vs MAPDs.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the professional and helpful reply :)

Megan, based on my experiences with direct mail to T65 in another state I doubt you would get any kind of ROI on educational seminars, you would have to be willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars in direct mail, venue rent, refreshments, and all the peripheral expenses to even begin to build a pipeline that would generate consistent sales.

The lowest cost, fastest way to start generating Medicare Supplement sales is to educate yourself on the phone sales process for them-there are two forum members who offer training sites, you could join both for a couple of months, absorb as much of the information as you can, and figure out what works for you. It could be phone sales it could be another method, but don't invest lots of money in one channel and hope it will work, it is very unlikely (bordering on impossible) for that first choice to succeed.

Cause it's hard to target enough med supp clientele in Socal, 90% of my clients here are on a MAPD plan. Then again I guess I could mail a higher income bracket, but I'm still not sure how many ppl would want supps vs MAPDs.

Granted, but why is it bad if they want an MAPD? From what I remember from AHIP you've got another hoop or two to jump thru in order to get from educational seminar => MAPD app. Maybe that wouldn't make it worth it because the number of MAPD sales wouldn't cover the cost of the event but maybe medsupp sales would. I've never done any type of seminar but right now I'm actively considering lots of new marketing options as I relocate to a new state (probably SoCal).

Also, from what I remember, once you get to as close as the Santa Barbara area MAPD % drops significantly. Maybe you wouldn't have to go as far as Fresno and would be able to eliminate overnight costs.

And note to the OP, please don't tolerate any sexual harassment in any type of job situation again. I don't care what your situation, you never deserve to be treated like that. Even if it's a small independent agency, there are organizations out there you can reach out to for help. And if you ever get mistreated or even fired for reporting an incident, that company is just opening themselves up for a lawsuit.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate everyone agreeing that this is not an acceptable way to be treated in the industry. I was starting to think I was crazy, and this is "just what you had to go through" when you were new in the field. You just had to tough it out, volunteer your time and energy, sacrifice having anything put in your own AWN, and just learn from the bully. I was almost brainwashed into thinking that if I wanted to be successful in the business my only choice was just to listed to him, my "mentor" as he called himself and do everything his way. Always painting free work, scoldings, and creepy "training" tasks as "this is just how you make it in this business." Thanks for the supportive words encouraging me that this, infact, is unacceptable in the industry.

Thanks for the supportive words encouraging me that this, infact, is unacceptable in the industry.

Its unacceptable in ANY industry.

Start cold calling, door knocking and networking. Seminars are expensive and yield few results at the beginning. Sponsor bingo at the local senior centers. See if the library will let you do educational events. Partner with some successful financial planners to give seminars at 10am (no meal purchase required). Join a BNI or other networking group. T65 Mailings seem to work for people, based on zip code and the MAPD numbers. Find a mentor (female might be best).

Make a plan, work the plan. Good luck!

Its unacceptable in ANY industry.

Start cold calling, door knocking and networking. Seminars are expensive and yield few results at the beginning. Sponsor bingo at the local senior centers. See if the library will let you do educational events. Partner with some successful financial planners to give seminars at 10am (no meal purchase required). Join a BNI or other networking group. T65 Mailings seem to work for people, based on zip code and the MAPD numbers. Find a mentor (female might be best).

Make a plan, work the plan. Good luck!

I endorse all that (at least to consider & see which platform works best for u) except the door knocking part... But to ea their own.

Good luck Megan!

I do a lot of postcard marketing. UHC has a large variety of CMS compliant postcards. I've used them with some success, but I'm experimenting with a postcard from Aetna now.

You can log into your account with Aetna or UHC and add your contact information to one of the mailing pieces. Then you download the PDF.

After that you can upload the PDF and a mailing list to a company like uprinting.com. They can print and mail them for you after scrubbing the mailing list.

If you address and mail them yourself, unless you have a standard mail permit, you will pay more than using a company that can automate the process. This is even if you don't take labor into consideration.

The mailing list is much more important than the actual piece you use.

I haven't used a purchased list in years. I have been saving contact information and DOBs since I created my website in 2004. My first choice is to mail to the clients and prospects in my database. If you have the opportunity to grow your own mailing list, do so.

That is genius!! I feel so relieved that people are willing to help. I posted this thread last week, and felt really dissapointed when I didn't get any responses for a week. Now it's flooded with helpful and supportive advice to someone not new to the business, but definitely fresh to the field! Thanks again!

Why on earth would you do ANY educational events??? What a colossal waste of time. You can't sell, you can't market.....in all honesty, why bother. So you educate Granny Smith who takes all your information and goes down the street to some agent who is actually selling plans. No thanks. If I am walking out my door, there has to be a financial interest for me turning the ignition on my car.
I have zero desire to be the Free Public Library and i instruct all of my downline agents to conduct themselves the same way.

Back