Advice on Carriers

I may have read him wrong. He said SNL okay but "not a fan of Settlers at all ... pick up Forresters and Liberty Bankers". Which I looked at Liberty. I want to stay with -A rated or better. Liberty is a B rated co.

In the world of FE, Best ratings have very little meaning.

Lol an F rating means squat. Bottom line these are small policies were cash value means zip and the death benefits will be paid.15 mins ago I just wrote a Snl graded with cancer "a little over 12 months ago". I could have written aetna but wether it was over or under 12 months plus needing a 2 nd wed draft swayed my decision .

In the world of FE, Best ratings have very little meaning.

Maybe in ur sales u don't promote the stability of the carriers u choose to contract with. But I prefer to not just pick my carriers out of a hat. When a client objects with "I wanna shop around" I simply say. "I've done all the shopping for you. Look." I show him a fex quote lineup and explain why the cheaper ones either won't work with their medical conditions or or aren't solid stable companies. And I end with "cheaper isn't always better ... particularly in such an important decision as this". It's worked more times than not.
Now if I started contracting with just anyone? I couldn't say "I only work with stable companies that are A or better rated." Blows a big part of my credibility and trust building out. Not going there.

Last edited:
Maybe in ur sales u don't promote the stability of the carriers u choose to contract with. But I prefer to not just pick my carriers out of a hat. When a client objects with "I wanna shop around" I simply say. "I've done all the shopping for you. Look." I show him a fex quote lineup and explain why the cheaper ones either won't work with their medical conditions or or aren't solid stable companies. And I end with "cheaper isn't always better ... particularly in such an important decision as this". It's worked more times than not. Now if I started contracting with just anyone? I couldn't say "I only work with stable companies that are A or better rated." Blows a big part of my credibility and trust building out. Not going there. ---------- Security National Life insurance rating on AM Best is A with a stable outlook.

Lol...guess I missed that memo...shows you important it is to me.

Maybe in ur sales u don't promote the stability of the carriers u choose to contract with. But I prefer to not just pick my carriers out of a hat. When a client objects with "I wanna shop around" I simply say. "I've done all the shopping for you. Look." I show him a fex quote lineup and explain why the cheaper ones either won't work with their medical conditions or or aren't solid stable companies. And I end with "cheaper isn't always better ... particularly in such an important decision as this". It's worked more times than not. Now if I started contracting with just anyone? I couldn't say "I only work with stable companies that are A or better rated." Blows a big part of my credibility and trust building out. Not going there. ---------- Security National Life insurance rating on AM Best is A with a stable outlook.

That is all fine and dandy but it's still very subjective. When I was at New York life they liked to promote the fact that they were AAA rated by Fitch, A++ by AM Best, Aaa by Moody, AA+ by Standard and Poors and if you were dealing with a company less than those ratings then you were dealing with inferior carriers and exposing yourself to risk. So according to New York Life agents the carriers you are offering are a BIG RISK.

Do you believe the carriers you are offering pose a risk of default? I doubt it. With these small policies, they are usually less than 300K so they are not at risk. It's just another sales tactic IMO.

That is all fine and dandy but it's still very subjective. When I was at New York life they liked to promote the fact that they were AAA rated by Fitch, A++ by AM Best, Aaa by Moody, AA+ by Standard and Poors and if you were dealing with a company less than those ratings then you were dealing with inferior carriers and exposing yourself to risk. So according to New York Life agents the carriers you are offering are a BIG RISK.

Do you believe the carriers you are offering pose a risk of default? I doubt it. With these small policies, they are usually less than 300K so they are not at risk. It's just another sales tactic IMO.

I didn't say I believe the ratings mean that much. But to my prospects it sounds good and helps build trust. Therefore helping win sales.

Maybe in ur sales u don't promote the stability of the carriers u choose to contract with. But I prefer to not just pick my carriers out of a hat. When a client objects with "I wanna shop around" I simply say. "I've done all the shopping for you. Look." I show him a fex quote lineup and explain why the cheaper ones either won't work with their medical conditions or or aren't solid stable companies. And I end with "cheaper isn't always better ... particularly in such an important decision as this". It's worked more times than not.
Now if I started contracting with just anyone? I couldn't say "I only work with stable companies that are A or better rated." Blows a big part of my credibility and trust building out. Not going there.

Ever heard of Mutual Benefit? Executive Life? Kentucky Central? Those and a few dozen more had A+ ratings with Best and all went under while many of the B companies thrived. And, just because a company has an A today doesn't mean they have it tomorrow. Settlers Life was a great, dependable "stable" company with $205 million in assets and yet 16 years ago they were forced onto receivership. They are back and now have an A-.

I have never had an FE client ask about the ratings of the company. Many companies that have strong financials choose not to pay Best for a rating. If you want to promote the stability of the companies, you can always use Standard Analytical.. Even most unrated companies will show a stronger position that the "top" companies. When it boils down to it, the state insurance commission is the final arbiter on the financial strength of the companies.

Last edited:
Back