Agent Lied About Tobacco

JD mentioned that a policy he wrote is possibly being replaced & if I understand JD correctly the competing agent is coaching the client to lie in order to "get outta that policy and get your money back". (We aren't talking about a death here)

Hell the customers lie all the time so who knows when the BS occurred lol

This also happened to me. Transamerica rescinded policy and sent customer back every penny. Full chargeback. On a policy that the customer absolutely qualified for yet didnt matter....the customers can be manipulated any and every which way. Maybe one day the liberal politicians will pass a law to protect me from customers.

Last edited:
I'm sure if companies were denying these claims left and right some publicatiosn would be warning the public about lieing. In reality it looks like a gray area were a company might or might not rescind.We really don't know. heres something I found 3. The life insurance company could pay the claim even if you got some facts wrong. If an investigation finds you misrepresented facts on your application, the insurer has a couple of options. It can figure out how much premium you should have been paying based on the new facts and reduce the death benefit by that amount. That would likely happen if you simply made a mistake, such as saying you were a recreational skier when your hobby actually met the definition of extreme skiing, Friedman says. Or perhaps you miscalculated how long ago you quit smoking. Or the insurance company can deny the claim. The decision will depend on the size of the claim and how blatant the misrepresentation was, Rothschild says.

I would never assume any company would pay any claim that they do not have to pay. The smoking question is no different than the AIDS question. If they lie, the company will return their premiums on a contestable claim.

This was just a discussion of what a company will do. Every agent should 100% ask each and every question and record all answers they are given .Heck id say a min of 60% if Fe clients are smokers.

I always err on the side of caution. With my companies the question is any tobacco use last 12 months. I specifically say that i cludes dip, snuff, chew (which i thi k is same as dip - i dont know since i abstain) cigarretes. Cigars. Then i say any form of tobacco. Then if i suspect they mAy not understand i say. "Even if u only have one a month or just smoke when u drink" many people then say yes n tell me they thought they were a non smoker if they only smoke while drinking. I just tell them i am not the police but it is my job to be sure their family will get paid and "dont u want it to get paid? Otherwise y r u getting insurance?"

Interesting. One guy gets in a car crash, and the company rescinds due to misstatement of tobacco usage, lol. Poor wife.

Ty for the links.

Exactly the scenario that goget says doesn't happen.

----------

Big difference between a larger Fidelity policy and a small 10K claim.

I don't know where people get the idea that insurance company does not contest and even go to court small claims.. I have seen them contest claims as small as $1K and defend it in court rather than settle out of court.

The thing about the smoking question there is no gray area. A claim could be made that a person was not told about or did not understand a medical diagnosis. A person is going to know if they smoke or not.

Just for your info I have experience with this. Years ago I had a client lie threw his teeth and he got issued $100k policy. He died after a yr. the company denied the claim and the bene sued. The insurance company ended up paying most of the claim as they didn't want to go to ct.

Just for your info I have experience with this. Years ago I had a client lie threw his teeth and he got issued $100k policy. He died after a yr. the company denied the claim and the bene sued. The insurance company ended up paying most of the claim as they didn't want to go to ct.

That happens.. but you can't count on it in the future because it happened in that case.

My point exactly.....Louis misconstruing my posts as usual.

----------

"I always err on the side of caution. With my companies the question is any tobacco use last 12 months. I specifically say that i cludes dip, snuff, chew (which i thi k is same as dip - i dont know since i abstain) cigarretes. Cigars. Then i say any form of tobacco. Then if i suspect they mAy not understand i say. "Even if u only have one a month or just smoke when u drink" many people then say yes n tell me they thought they were a non smoker if they only smoke while drinking. I just tell them i am not the police but it is my job to be sure their family will get paid and "dont u want it to get paid? Otherwise y r u getting insurance?"
I ask the question as the application dictates. Why embellish the question with all that jibber jabber? They know and understand the question. Our job is to notate the answer. The POS will ask again.

The reason i go into detail is i often believe they do NOT understand. If u think they do and perhaps they do then u have more sophisticated clientele then me. I dont want a recission but corny as it may sound i want them to have a policy that will pay. If thirty extra seconds on my part can avert a major problem and i can spell it out for them why not go the extra mile? I dont think i have lost a sale ever and i would rather loose a sale or two a year then see someone stuck with a policy that wont pay. That is why.

Back