American Cars and Meeting Clients

Spoken by a true anti American worker person. I'm proud of that comment coming from you.

I'm a touch confused about your comments. A Chevy made in Mexico or a Ford in Canada does much less for the American worker than a Toyota made in your home state. Probably just smooth talking new yawka facts as you put it.

the first step is to admit you have a problem; and JD if your actually dumb enough to believe what you stated,

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM

----------

Originally Posted by jdeasy
Those are Japanese companies and the profits are sent back to Japan.
True that, but the profits that go back are minuscule compared to the wages paid to their American worker persons - which they spend - creating even more in the economy. It's not about where the profits (very small on a percentage basis) go, it's about the velocity of money!

Don't even bother Moonlighting, your way over his head. He still thinks the south won the war

Yeah, if the problem is being a proud american worker.

Better than being delusional like you. I'll go get in my '98 Chevy pick up with 185,000 miles on it haul an 8000 lb trailer of hay anywhere you want it. I will pass right by the Toyota frozen Tundra riceburners siting on the side of the road. Or maybe they will be crashed into the side of a building because the accelerator stuck?

But you just keep on being proud of running American companies out of business. My "problem" is that I won't join you in that.

the first step is to admit you have a problem; and if your actually dumb enough to believe what you stated,

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM

----------

Those are Japanese companies and the profits are sent back to Japan.
True that, but the profits that go back are minuscule compared to the wages paid to their American worker persons - which they spend - creating even more in the economy. It's not about where the profits (very small on a percentage basis) go, it's about the velocity of money!

Don't even bother Moonlighting, your way over his head. He still thinks the south won the war

----------

I'm a touch confused about your comments. A Chevy made in Mexico or a Ford in Canada does much less for the American worker than a Toyota made in your home state. Probably just smooth talking new yawka facts as you put it.

I'm sure a guy that cals a list of names, "leads" would have a comprehension problem. New Yawk or not.

That kind of failing to see the big picture is what gt this country where it now.

This might sound like it does not belong in this forum, but just follow me. My wife and I have a butcher in southern Ohio. He supplies organic beef for her restaurant. He has about 3,000 acres. We normally take her ML63 for the room. Neither one of the brothers ever said anything about it being a German vehicle. One day he asked me what I do and I told him that I am a 3rd generation insurance agent. One thing led to another and I did a needs analysis. Long story short, my commission would have been $45,000.

Well, I rolled up for my appointment in my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Everyone there seems to have a Chevy or Ford. One of the brothers met me in the drive way and told me, "Get that God D*mn Jap car out of here and don't come back." I was stunned. I did not bother telling him that the car was made in Georgetown, Kentucky or that that Ford Fusion that his wife drives was made in Mexico. I just left.

How important is having an American car? Has anything like this happened to anybody else?

I don't mind getting an American car strictly for business. That is no problem. Plus it would save me from having to rent an American car when I have to meet with various unions in northern Ohio. I was considering a Cadillac CTS. I hate to buy a car from Government Motors, but it is the only American car that I like besides the Taurus SHO. Is the Cadillac CTS too flashy?

It's weird...some customers judge you by the car you park in their drive way. If it is some compact car they will assume you are a broke-dick trying to get some money out of them. If the car is too high end, they will think you are overcharging and ripping them off.

Any input is welcome.

I worked for American Honda for 20-years. Here's my take:

The hard core "buy USA" guys don't really care where something is made. They only care that the brand is from a company that started in the USA.

My Mercury Capri was more American to them than my Honda Accord even though my Mercury was 100% foreign made and my Honda was 100% American made.

When they come in to buy their 4-Wheelers for deer hunting they used to complain that they were buying Japan made ATVs but one year around 1988 Honda moved all the ATV production to Ohio.

During the transition we had some that were from Japan and some from Ohio. The Ohio made ATVs were $100 more than the ones from Japan. Guess who wouldn't pay the extra $100?

They didn't care that thousands of Ohio workers made $19 per hour (in 1988 dollars) building the American made ATVs. The name still said Honda so nothing changed in their minds.

You will never please everybody. Those guys would have not bought from you anyway because you had the wrong haircut, weren't a Marine, didn't go to the right college, smoked, didn't smoke, etc.

JD,

If you want to go by 99.9% of the automotive facts available today, your the delusional one. If you just want to spew anything at all with no regard to the truth, or the facts in the matter, keep talking.

You're doing just fine!!!

Last edited:

Someone frame that. Profits from Fords made in Mexico go to a small group of shareholders and are a very small percentage of the purchase price. Wages from Hondas made in Kentucky create middle class families who pay taxes. And what profits Honda does send back to Japan get taxed as well.

I used to be buy American 100%

Then I started seeing what most of the people drive that belong to the most powerful unions in the state drive. Teachers, Corrections and Police. Most also owned iPhone.

I own both American (made in Mexico :goofy:) and foreign. I tend to drive the 06 more conservative crossover to lower income homes. The sportier foreign car to the majority.

I find more people care more about the conservative V liberal Obama thing. Are we only going to sell only Republicans or Democrats?

I like the Cadillac's looks and thought about them when I bought this year. But the service history and warranty were not as good as what I bought. I think it has a good image and would not offend anyone. I still count the Eldorado I owned as one of my favorites. Got a lot of commitments from clients. I would not hesitate pulling up in one.

Everyone's business is different. I my case, my clients do not dictate what I drive.

Edit: I really liked the SRX. Not your grandpa's Caddy.

Last edited:
JMO....

Unless ALL of your products are American made....dont come at me with "u should buy an American car" holding a Samsung phone, listening to music on your Apple iPod & watching ya Sony TV.

And speaking of American....is there even an American cell phone maker? Maybe Blackberry, but I doubt it, never looked it up tho....probably explains why they are down to about 2% of all cell phones now though.

Back