Any Chance To Succeed As A Part-time Agent?

I currently have a part time job that make me about $1000/month.

are you making that by selling insurance? what type?

I should have made it more clear that by "succeeding as a part-timer" what I meant was to make a profit that is proportional to one's marketing efforts and cost, not to make what a full time agent makes while being part-time.

and more importantly, during the process, find out what products you can sell.

At one point, I thought of working insurance two or three days a week. Still part time but full time each day that I worked.

Doesn't work out that way, either. I had to schedule quotes and sales based on the prospect's schedule, not mine.

And then there is the, "Hey, what do you do for a living?"

"I work part time at KFC and also sell insurance part time."

Yeah, I wanna buy from that guy.

Surfy

There are plenty of people that can't make it even with full-time effort, but the common thing missing from all of these posts is the simple fact that it all depends on you. The real question is can YOU make it work part-time?

I am back in college and enrolled in 18 credit hours (going towards my Anesthetist) and work as an independent agent the rest of the week. My classes are all on Tuesdays and Thursdays (makes for hell of a long day!), and that leaves me Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday to work. I average about $3000-4000 a month, which is not nearly the income that I am used to...but it is certainly enough to pay the bills until I graduate.

I do Medicare Supplements, Final Expense, Hospital Indemnity Plans, Accident / Disability Plans, and Life Insurance.

This is a career, not a job. At least to me it is.

Would you be a part time , doctor, lawyer, or pilot starting out? I bet you could, and you could also after you got good at it. But, treat this like a career if you want this to work out for you.

If you are interested in life and health, I can help you. I am a marketing rep and have the advantage of working with multiple life and health agencies. If you are wanting to sell Medicare supp and Medicare advantage, I have an inexpensive way for you to get leads and start making money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What state do you sell in. I am a marketing rep that has a few new companies that are exploding in the market as of a week ago.

Hey Paige. You think you're the first person to jump on this forum and immediately start recruiting?

You obviously have no knowledge of medicare based upon an earlier post. You offered contracts with UHL which can be had from something just over 1,000 marketers.

Unfortunately, you're a jimmer and not even in the jim league.

Rick

This is a career, not a job. At least to me it is.

Would you be a part time , doctor, lawyer, or pilot starting out? I bet you could, and you could also after you got good at it. But, treat this like a career if you want this to work out for you.

Normally, I would agree with this post. However, this is a new economy. The rules have changed. There are A LOT of people who are starting businesses on the side of their regular full-time jobs - even if those jobs are minimum wage.

In my mind, someone who is working SOMEWHERE (to keep their base income) and trying to move forward is SMART. And MOST PEOPLE will understand that!

Here's the hard part: Until you have sufficient exposure to this industry and to mentors... you'll only be a product peddler. You can do quotes and take some applications... but you won't be doing any business succession planning, key man or other advanced underwriting concepts. You'll only be a GENERALIST - and therefore have a harder time making money and gaining the confidence of your prospects. It's a 'catch-22'. You need experience to become successful. You need time to get experience. You don't have time to invest to become successful, so the ODDS are high that you won't become successful.

Even if you treat insurance sales like a second job - at least you're working at something instead of standing in the unemployment line to collect money!

At our agency some agents are part time. We never see much production from them. We normally do not provide full training to this type of agent, too much of an investment. Imagine spending almost two weeks training to get 2 or 3 applications a month?

Starting part-time is doable. Get a Life/Health license. Get a Series 65 (Investment Adviser rep.) license. Sell insurance products for upfront commissions and build up Assets Under Management.

As an addition (For some a primary) I would also suggest Pre-Paid legal. In most state no license required. Is there a need for the Legal and Identity Theft Plans?

Making legal aid more accessible and affordable - washingtonpost.com

The plans require no underwriting and they pay commissions daily by direct deposit.

Next do a Google news search on identity theft.

So in my humble opinion a person can be in business part-time if they so choose. As I always say all things are not for all people. Just do a bit of research.

Latest posts

Back