Any Chance To Succeed As A Part-time Agent?

... Imagine spending almost two weeks training to get 2 or 3 applications a month?
ROFL!!! :D:D:D Blue, that cracked me up! When I was in management I didn't think my guys could even make a credible bologna sandwich with two weeks training. The training and development never stopped. Maybe different segments of the business. When I first read your post I thought about Jackie Gleason in "Smokey and the Bandit" when he was complaining to his son Junior by saying "I decorated up the whole town at a cost of nearly forty dollars..."

My first manager said "OK, here's your rate book and some apps. Good luck. Hope you make it."

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the post. The formal sit in class and intense training in the field lasts about two weeks. We have constant ongoing training through our agency and carriers. We are training agents to sell health insurance and a few ancillary upfront. The complex products take much more time and the learning curve depends on the agent. You kinda know if they will succeed in less than two weeks. The people meant to do this excel right away, at least in my opinion.

ROFL!!! :D:D:D Blue, that cracked me up! When I was in management I didn't think my guys could even make a credible bologna sandwich with two weeks training. The training and development never stopped. Maybe different segments of the business. When I first read your post I thought about Jackie Gleason in "Smokey and the Bandit" when he was compaining to his son Junior by saying "I decorated up the whole town at a cost of nearly forty dollars..."

My first manager said "OK, here's your rate book and some apps. Good luck. Hope you make it."

I have actually tried doing it part time for the past few months but cannot seem to dedicate the time with everything else going on in my life. I do know of some people that tried to make it part time with Primerica and never seem to make it work. I am actually fixing to quit my temp job I have had myself the past 6 months and go back to insurance full time. I actually should have never gotten out of the insurance business in the first place. Just wish I had started out as an independent several years ago.

Client: "I called you yesterday but you didn't answer. I needed a new copy of my ID card to get my plates renewed."

Agent: "Sorry about that. I don't work on Monday's, Wednesday's, or Friday's. This is a part-time agency. In the future please plan accordingly."

I know a successful part-time life agent. He is a full time health agent, but I'm not sure you wanted to hear that.

IMO, P&C is much more "hands on" with your customer. Car changes, accidents, claims, etc., all play a part of the role in the P&C side.

Life sales are more about working with clients on life events that happen far less frequently - job changes, births, marriage, divorce, retirement... it's all less taxing on a "day-to-day" basis.

Just my opinion and I've never been a P&C agent.

Back