Disaster/Emergency SEP

Humana is allowing nationwide Covid dst . It has no end date . Only Humana so far . Might be challenged and stopped

The code works . Saw a woman 2 weeks ago with Medicare only . I told her i couldn’t help her until aep . Then I saw this code and went back out there yesterday.A phone rep had already called her and signed her up . She had her card . He put her in crummy plan . We cancelled the app and I rewrote her . All these disaster sep’s are bs . It’s like mapd is a yr round enrollment now . Because Of the incredible money for CO’s there spending crazy money on marketing $’s to agents and Fmo’s .

Caveat, not an agent.

Still just Humana, or other carriers too?

Caveat, not an agent.

Still just Humana, or other carriers too?

I assume by mentioning Humana you mean the COVID thing. That's an entirely different conversation.

For the most part when using the disaster SEPs, the carriers aren't collecting any info to verify the SEP (not info about the "disaster" or what other election was missed). It's up to agents and clients to truthfully collect and attest to the SEP. So it becomes a matter of ethics and knowing the proper use of any SEP. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The code works . Saw a woman 2 weeks ago with Medicare only . I told her i couldn’t help her until aep . Then I saw this code and went back out there yesterday.A phone rep had already called her and signed her up . She had her card . He put her in crummy plan . We cancelled the app and I rewrote her . All these disaster sep’s are bs . It’s like mapd is a yr round enrollment now . Because Of the incredible money for CO’s there spending crazy money on marketing $’s to agents and Fmo’s .

I've never had anyone turned down for dst sep.

I've never had anyone turned down for dst sep.
Are some companies just late to the party with this SEP?

I've gotten emails from Aetna, Wellcare, and a few others mentioning this SEP specifically. So I assumed all the other carriers honored it as well, but I guess they have to update it in their system or something before they will recognize it?

Are some companies just late to the party with this SEP?

I've gotten emails from Aetna, Wellcare, and a few others mentioning this SEP specifically. So I assumed all the other carriers honored it as well, but I guess they have to update it in their system or something before they will recognize it?

I've only used Aetna and Humana, and all the cases were a little different as far as whether they currently had an MA, missed aep, missed oep etc., but there are so many disasters, you should be able to go to the FEMA site and find one for his County.

I assume by mentioning Humana you mean the COVID thing. That's an entirely different conversation.

For the most part when using the disaster SEPs, the carriers aren't collecting any info to verify the SEP (not info about the "disaster" or what other election was missed). It's up to agents and clients to truthfully collect and attest to the SEP. So it becomes a matter of ethics and knowing the proper use of any SEP. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Is it ethical to only allow frequent changes to poor people who qualify for LIS/Medicaid and forcing the others to wait until AEP to make changes?
I’ve been in situations where a middle class person desperately needed to change plans due to a needed emergency surgery that HMO would not provide (facility issue) I was goody two-shoes about it, only to have another agent go in and use a questionable SEP which in turn lost me customers. The whole thing is rotten.

Last edited:
Is it ethical to only allow frequent changes to poor people who qualify for LIS/Medicaid and forcing the others to wait until AEP to make changes?
I’ve been in situations where a middle class person desperately needed to change plans due to a needed emergency surgery that HMO would not provide (facility issue) I was goody two-shoes about it, only to have another agent go in and use a questionable SEP which in turn lost me customers. The whole thing is rotten.

It’s funny you say that . Has happened to me. When the clock struck midnight on March 31 st I thought I could relax with regular non dual / lis clients . Nope now with the dst sep call centers will be going wild trying to steal clients . So mapd is basically year a round affair now . The low end mkt is being bombed by call centers . I really believe going forward your not going to have a viable long term business with mostly dual/lis . If you have a book of 100 dual/ lis and walked away 50 would be on the books in 1 year . The nastiness and viciousness in the low end mkt is startling .

Back