Do I need approval on a Direct Mail Lead Card?

Ksutton

Guru
100+ Post Club
USA
I'm currently dropping my own mail. This is the first time I have done this. I was purchasing on a fixed cost program. I am modifying the lead card(verbage).

Do I need NAIC approval or any approval to run a specific lead card? Furthermore, are these "vanilla" leads / other DM leads approved by any "authority"?

Thanks in advanced.

That's a rather wide open question that cannot be answered.

What are you selling? Offering any incentives?

That's a rather wide open question that cannot be answered.

What are you selling? Offering any incentives?
Selling Final Expense . Sometimes a Term policy if that's what the client is looking for as every once in a while I get referrals or even a client looking for mortgage or income protection. No incentives. Just typical FE sales.

The leads that say "state regulated final expense program" and the leads that say "affordable life insurance" - The typical FE DM leads you see... are they approved by any figure of authority?

I am not an FE agent, and some of the verbiage may be OK in your state but not others. I know the term "affordable" has drawn the attention of regulators in some areas. What is affordable to you may not be to me.

I would think "state regulated" implies the product (and mailing piece) is approved by the state.

There are a lot of ads and mailing pieces that are probably not Kosher but until someone complains, nothing get's done.

Good question. The marketing doesn't seem regulated like medicare stuff. The thing you always had to watch was putting company specific branding on the literature or any advertising. That's a no-no unless approved by home the office.

Generally states do not require pre-approval for advertising. They do require it not be deceptive or misleading. Each state is different, so when in doubt consult the DOI for your state.

Also, you will need approval from any company that is specifically mentioned on the piece, or if you mention specific product details.

Some companies include a clause in their contract that they must approve all marketing. I would say this is generally ignored.

This is pretty much a land of, "No one cares until you screw up and someone complains."

Back