Door Knocking...

Yes and I appreciate that.

If I can leave doorsteps without a sell, but with names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses. I can keep following up with people until they become a client or tell me to stop. Great idea.

Yes and I appreciate that.

If I can leave doorsteps without a sell, but with names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses. I can keep following up with people until they become a client or tell me to stop. Great idea.

EDJ wouldn't have you do it if it didn't work. We had and EDJ guy door knock our neighborhood a few months ago. He was well received at every door that I observed.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just went to work for them. We talked about the door knocking, he said he just walks up and introduces himself, has a little light conversation and says is it ok if I call you later. Or something to that effect. My understanding was that the door knocking is just an introduction type deal.

Jim

My question is, can door knocking be an effective way of gaining leads and building a book of business?

You're right. Door knocking doesn't work. It is a complete and utter failure. There are only thousands of successful FAs with EDJ that started their career by door-knocking.

I started my Insurance Agency going Door to Door. Put on a nice shirt, comfortable dress shoes and a tie, and went door to door. I did this 15 years ago, and I still have my clients on the books that I got going door to door. It is tough, but who goes door to door anymore. My philosophy on it was to go D2D on Saturday morning. Start at 9:00 am and stop by 1:00 pm. Thursday nights between 5:30 and 8:00 pm. These produced the best results.

I started my Insurance Agency going Door to Door. Put on a nice shirt, comfortable dress shoes and a tie, and went door to door. I did this 15 years ago, and I still have my clients on the books that I got going door to door. It is tough, but who goes door to door anymore. My philosophy on it was to go D2D on Saturday morning. Start at 9:00 am and stop by 1:00 pm. Thursday nights between 5:30 and 8:00 pm. These produced the best results.

What were you selling, Life & Health or P&C ?

Go meet a debit agent, you have them in Arkansas, ask him if to go door knocking with him. The problem is: door knocking works best in poor to middle class neighborhoods, and you are selling a product that is for a slightly higher earning clientelle. Not that you could not stay away from the poorer neighborhoods, you could. I have been told that door knocking is the number one thing they teach at Edward d. especially for newbies. They give you a neighborhood, where your office is, a territory, right? You must go around to all those houses near your office?? Right? BTW, I'm a debit guy and it's just an itntroduction, yes. Very simple script. Very simple, like, "who do have your insurance with now?". That's it. That's all I say.

I have a friend who is a EJ guy. He hires and trains new advisors. He told me years ago that the door knocking works and if an advisor wasn't making $85000 his second year, they would ask him to leave.

I recently had the new local rep knock on my door one evening. It was just an introductory "How do you do?" with a request for approval to keep in touch. Very low key and not offensive in any way.

Back