How’s driving so much yr in yr out affected your health ?

You like pro wrestling ? Did you watch in the 70’s ?Jack Brisco, Terry and Dory Funk , wrestling 2 , ole Anderson ,Tommy Rich, dirty dick slater , Bob Armstrong . The one and only Gordon solie . Greatest accouncer of all time .
Loved Dick Slater.

It seems a lot of the older agents on this board in poor health . Do you think driving so much over the yrs and being in the car affected your health over the yrs ? What about eating all the crap food on the road ? Lack of exercise?As I’ve said many times few successful agents stay in the field for 5 yrs are more grinding daily . I’d say 90% or more get into recruiting . The daily grind wears them out over time . I’ve had zero health issues but I’ll be doing more telesales next yr .

Interesting topic but probably millions of jobs more strenuous on health than driving around talking to people. I know I've had a few of those. :1cool:

Hell Jd you do $300 k ap a year , write 300 policys a yr for 18 straight yrs and run marathons . You ain’t Human!! I’m actually at the gym 5-6 days a week . I have 9% body fat . I’m on no rx’s . I go at 5:30 am . But that has no relevance if driving so much hurts your health in the long run . You or I could be 1 offs . The board is littered with older people in poor health .

Not quite. I’ve never had a $300K year. $290K last year was my best. I am well over $200K this year but I won’t hit $300k.

No marathons or half marathons either. 8K is my longest timed run. 6 miles is my longest continuous run period.

I probably ran more over the course of playing basketball for 2 hours but not continuous.

I’ve had back trouble since I was in high school. I hurt my back pretty bad when I was 14 in a horse accident.

I hate running. I run because you just can’t get a regular group together for basketball anymore.

I skipped my Friday run because my back was hurting. I ran 4 miles this morning but it was a slow 4 miles.

We’re running the 9/11 Heroes Run this coming Saturday. I’ll use that run for the KSKJ virtual 5K too.

No way I could sit at a desk 7-9 hours a day calling people.

That would kill my back.

Interesting topic but probably millions of jobs more strenuous on health than driving around talking to people. I know I've had a few of those. :1cool:

It’s more how long your sitting if you drive 2 hrs to an area and 2 hrs back . But also more than that is what your eating . A lot of agents will eat fast food or at greasy dinners . I know after so many yrs driving 600-800 miles a week the grind gets tough . With aep im staring at 10 k plus miles in 7 weeks .

It seems a lot of the older agents on this board in poor health . Do you think driving so much over the yrs and being in the car affected your health over the yrs ? What about eating all the crap food on the road ? Lack of exercise?As I’ve said many times few successful agents stay in the field for 5 yrs are more grinding daily . I’d say 90% or more get into recruiting . The daily grind wears them out over time . I’ve had zero health issues but I’ll be doing more telesales next yr .

For a Guy who writes 15 apps a week, I have noticed you sure do worry about a lot of unnecessary crap... You are successful.. Enjoy it!

From about 2004-2009 I'd drive a 4 hour round trip for a solid deal.

Today, no way will I drive more than an hour and half round trip. Just my preference. I'm not out trying to set records either.

One thing I doubt I've mentioned in here is that back in November I fell rollerskating and broke my tailbone and sacrum. Right in the middle of AEP. WTF. that was hard af to drive around on an airplane pillow. Nothing I could do, but go thru it. Getting in and out of the car sucked. Getting down the steps to the car through the garage sucked. Picking up my bag to get out of the car at appts sucked. But even with another job and new at AEP, I made it. No one knew, I sucked it up buttercup. I did wanna cry a few times, but I don't do that...

Just sitting with some of the older folks, I knew there were worse things. Gratitude helped. Definitely worse things but driving won't be that bad on the health in the country anyway.

Remind me never to think I'm rollerqueen at the rollerdisco at 50ish years old. But dammit, I know I looked good until I fell right on my A$$.

It still isn't healed right...long drives do suck now. Ughh...it hurts still right now...lol. Kid Rock the other night, dancing like a wild youngen tore me up. Esp to the Kid Rock/Machine Gun Kelly tune. I have to slow down...smh. No more water skiing either....only thing I've should do lately is the treadmill. Cant even ride the bike..

From about 2004-2009 I'd drive a 4 hour round trip for a solid deal.

Today, no way will I drive more than an hour and half round trip. Just my preference. I'm not out trying to set records either.

One thing I doubt I've mentioned in here is that back in November I fell rollerskating and broke my tailbone and sacrum. Right in the middle of AEP. WTF. that was hard af to drive around on an airplane pillow. Nothing I could do, but go thru it. Getting in and out of the car sucked. Getting down the steps to the car through the garage sucked. Picking up my bag to get out of the car at appts sucked. But even with another job and new at AEP, I made it. No one knew, I sucked it up buttercup. I did wanna cry a few times, but I don't do that...

Just sitting with some of the older folks, I knew there were worse things. Gratitude helped. Definitely worse things but driving won't be that bad on the health in the country anyway.

Remind me never to think I'm rollerqueen at the rollerdisco at 50ish years old. But dammit, I know I looked good until I fell right on my A$$.

It still isn't healed right...long drives do suck now. Ughh...it hurts still right now...lol. Kid Rock the other night, dancing like a wild youngen tore me up. Esp to the Kid Rock/Machine Gun Kelly tune. I have to slow down...smh. No more water skiing either....only thing I've should do lately is the treadmill. Cant even ride the bike..

Doesn’t it seem like many who make it in FE begin to wilt after a few years ?

They start whining about lead flow/costs,driving,releases……blaming others for failing.

Then we start hearing about transitioning to Medicare,telesales,building an agency,selling FE part time.

They begin to bail on the business.

How come ?

The successful businessman does things others aren’t willing to do.

Doesn’t it seem like many who make it in FE begin to wilt after a few years ?

They start whining about lead flow/costs,driving,releases……blaming others for failing.

Then we start hearing about transitioning to Medicare,telesales,building an agency,selling FE part time.

They begin to bail on the business.

How come ?

The successful businessman does things others aren’t willing to do.

Usually the first sign, before going to telesales or MA, is filtering the leads. They toy with the language on the card first. Then start age filtering. Not because they have an abundance of leads and can filter, but just narrowing the filters to very small age bands.

The real tell that they are in their way out is when they want to filter out males. When they get their filters to age 64-72 females only I always tell them to do themselves a favor and just turn off the leads and look for another way to make a living.

This is not the career for everyone. The marketers will tell them to just buy more leads. That’s not the answer for the struggling agent.

Usually the first sign, before going to telesales or MA, is filtering the leads. They toy with the language on the card first. Then start age filtering. Not because they have an abundance of leads and can filter, but just narrowing the filters to very small age bands.

The real tell that they are in their way out is when they want to filter out males. When they get their filters to age 64-72 females only I always tell them to do themselves a favor and just turn off the leads and look for another way to make a living.

This is not the career for everyone. The marketers will tell them to just buy more leads. That’s not the answer for the struggling agent.
The few times I ordered FE leads I would filter out males. On the last couple of orders I did not do that. The result was I sold a larger percentage of males. than females. Plus, the premiums tended to be considerably higher and the persistency better.

Back