Lighting a Fire Under Your Prospects.

How do you handle it when she says "No I just want the information now so I can discuss it with my _________".

I bounce. If there is someone they need to discuss it with, I don't present. I'd possibly reschedule to meet with ______, but it would depend on the situation. Most of the time that is a smokescreen and you haven't built up enough trust.

I bounce. If there is someone they need to discuss it with, I don't present. I'd possibly reschedule to meet with ______, but it would depend on the situation. Most of the time that is a smokescreen and you haven't built up enough trust.

It can also mean you just didn't set the appointment with all of the decision makers. Much better to know that upfront then to write it and have it killed when they talk to ______.

How do you handle it when she says "No I just want the information now so I can discuss it with my _________".

I know this is a lot of really basic stuff but being new to this industry I really appreciate the help guys.

Note -- the statement made above at the beginning of the sales call shouldn't be taken too heavily; acknowledge it and continue with the call.

Like Gooner, I like to trial close after pre-qualifying for health and bank.

"Mr. Jones, if I can qualify you for a plan today, would X dollars a month fit your budget?"

I need to hear a "Yes" at this point to proceed -- not a "Probably yes," or "Maybe yes." Any qualifiers to a full commitment need to be vetted at this point before I proceed.

Remember, try to only present to fully qualified prospects.

You just see as many of them as you can. Rates and underwriting will change for some in 2015 and some things always happen on January 1st. I recommend if you are going to do this, let's get it done right now.

Rates are based on your age and your health and you'll never be younger or healthier than you are today.

Your brains have shut down for Christmas already. Hell no they shouldn't wait until January.

Oxford's new app is required January 1st.

5-Star's required phone interview starts January 1st.

Settlers new app is right around the corner.

Other companies have plans that we don't even know about yet. People actually may qualify for something today that is taken off the table after January 1st. You don't know. With a stroke of a pen, things change.

Plus do you guys realize that 25% of the people you see on every appointment have a birthday within the next 90-days? That's urgency right there.

Mrs. Smith, your birthday is January 20th. If we don't get you a policy approved and issued before that date you will never again qualify for the rates you can get right now. It takes 10-minutes and you don't need to pay anything today. Let's get that much done and start your coverage right before your birthday to lock in your age.

I understand the new guys for not knowing how to create urgency but Gooner you are one of Fex's finest! Never give up! Never go down without a fight.

You guys can take this week off but only Super-Slackers take off the week after Christmas.

I know this is a lot of really basic stuff but being new to this industry I really appreciate the help guys.
Don't fight them in the beginning, just play along. Save the fighting for the close, if necessary. Just say, "That's why I'm here, ma'am. To get you this information you requested. I appreciate you may need to discuss it with your children." Bang! You're in the door. Then just go about your warm up, presenting, and closing as if she never said it.

Many times oldsters will use that "talk to the kids" stuff as a defense mechanism and it is effective for them. But if they like what they see and hear, they will also many times just go ahead and get it. I mean, they don't really need to talk to their kids, do they? I don't need to discuss all my financial matters with my kids. Do you?:nah:

You just see as many of them as you can. Rates and underwriting will change for some in 2015 and some things always happen on January 1st. I recommend if you are going to do this, let's get it done right now.

Rates are based on your age and your health and you'll never be younger or healthier than you are today.

Your brains have shut down for Christmas already. Hell no they shouldn't wait until January.

Other companies have plans that we don't even know about yet. People actually may qualify for something today that is taken off the table after January 1st. You don't know. With a stroke of a pen, things change.

Plus do you guys realize that 25% of the people you see on every appointment have a birthday within the next 90-days? That's urgency right there.

Mrs. Smith, your birthday is January 20th. If we don't get you a policy approved and issued before that date you will never again qualify for the rates you can get right now. It takes 10-minutes and you don't need to pay anything today. Let's get that much done and start your coverage right before your birthday to lock in your age.

I understand the new guys for not knowing how to create urgency but Gooner you are one of Fex's finest! Never give up! Never go down without a fight.

You guys can take this week off but only Super-Slackers take off the week after Christmas.

LOL, that's funny...did you miss the part of the call yesterday where I said I only worked 37 weeks in 2014? I'm off this week...spending time with my knuckleheads...then the next week we're going to Gatlinburg to veg out. This is a slow time for the preschool as well, so we exploit it...I've got a gold-plated toothbrush bro:err:

I didn't give up, ok, I gave up...but I put up about 13K for my 3 days in the field this month...not counting the 2 days last week where I only had 1 and 2 appts a day.

----------

Don't fight them in the beginning, just play along. Save the fighting for the close, if necessary. Just say, "That's why I'm here, ma'am. To get you this information you requested. I appreciate you may need to discuss it with your children." Bang! You're in the door. Then just go about your warm up, presenting, and closing as if she never said it.

Many times oldsters will use that "talk to the kids" stuff as a defense mechanism and it is effective for them. But if they like what they see and hear, they will also many times just go ahead and get it. I mean, they don't really need to talk to their kids, do they? I don't need to discuss all my financial matters with my kids. Do you?:nah:

I don't know if I agree with you here. I don't want to fight objections at the end of my presentation. I like to eliminate objections before they arise. Although I've rarely, if ever, gotten the "I want to talk to my kids" before I got in the house.

I did have one Tuesday, that flat out said as we sat down, "I'm not buying anything today." My response was, "Well, here's my card, you can call me when you're ready. I can only give you the information you qualify for today, you may not qualify next month." And...I bounced. Now for someone new, they may want to take a crack at that one and just get a presentation under their belt, but not me. He had also just told me he was sitting on $75K in WL for the last 20 years and paid of land, trucks and house...so I wasn't wasting my time.

After that 1, I decided I was done:idea:

LOL, that's funny...did you miss the part of the call yesterday where I said I only worked 37 weeks in 2014? I'm off this week...spending time with my knuckleheads...then the next week we're going to Gatlinburg to veg out. This is a slow time for the preschool as well, so we exploit it...I've got a gold-plated toothbrush bro:err:

I didn't give up, ok, I gave up...but I put up about 13K for my 3 days in the field this month...not counting the 2 days last week where I only had 1 and 2 appts a day.

----------

I don't know if I agree with you here. I don't want to fight objections at the end of my presentation. I like to eliminate objections before they arise. Although I've rarely, if ever, gotten the "I want to talk to my kids" before I got in the house.

I did have one Tuesday, that flat out said as we sat down, "I'm not buying anything today." My response was, "Well, here's my card, you can call me when you're ready. I can only give you the information you qualify for today, you may not qualify next month." And...I bounced. Now for someone new, they may want to take a crack at that one and just get a presentation under their belt, but not me. He had also just told me he was sitting on $75K in WL for the last 20 years and paid of land, trucks and house...so I wasn't wasting my time.

After that 1, I decided I was done:idea:

Still a Super-Slacker but at least you have the finest shoe-strings and toothbrush money can buy.

I'm just yanking ya. I'm taking it pretty easy in December too. We ain't even doing a Fex call for two weeks. My only goal is to gain 30 more pounds of fat from all the chocolates cookies and egg nog.

I'm just yanking ya. I'm taking it pretty easy in December too. We ain't even doing a Fex call for two weeks. My only goal is to gain 30 more pounds of fat from all the chocolates cookies and egg nog.

I hope Indiana has good deals on crow bars. :1laugh:

Sounds like your manager is trying to light a fire under you to make sales by any means necessary.

I have always been more of a consultative type of guy

Learn to ask questions that open up the discussion and allow your prospect to reveal how they feel about their needs and ways to solve the problem.

I have recommended this book before. You might find Secrets of Question Based Selling to be of benefit.

Jeffrey Gitomer says "People hate to be sold but they love to buy".

Show them how to buy.

When I started in the life insurance business it was all canned sales pitches (which never work). But one thing that did sink in was this.

Find the need, find the money.

If you can't help them find the need for your product, no sale.

If they find the need but can't afford it, no sale.

setting the appointment and also after losing the "I want to think about it" objection.

If you are not qualifying your prospect on the phone, pressing for an appointment is a waste of time. Yours and theirs.

Same for any objections that come up.

Uh Oh! I am also taking off the week of January 4.. :err:

Back