My experience so far...

Ksutton

Guru
100+ Post Club
USA
I wanted to share my experience so far, specifically, working with agents and building this FE business thus far.

I've been licensed for 7 years now. When I started I really had visions of having a big team and leading a ton of agents to glory! That was just the vision put into my head. I quickly found out that selling insurance is not for everyone. Not due to any immediate "Failure" on my part, but just the sheer waves of how many people started and stopped within the first few months of me starting out.

Within 6 months I left being a captive agent, after doing a tad big of research on here, and then started planning to go Independent. I took a few months to do research, I worked a landscaping job (it was summer) while I was planning the Indy route.....Anyhow....

When I started as an Indy Final Expense agent I started Face to Face. I knocked doors for 6 or even 7 days a week when I started. I worked 12 hour days (at least - Which includes scrubbing paper apps which I haven't done in years!) Overall It was hard but I really enjoyed learning the business. I was on FIRE. I got sent to a trip with Transamerica and won a top producer award and made a really good amount of money....I was able to even help my friend who was at a captive organization come indy. He is still writing today and doing great! (He has been in the business longer than me!)

After about my 2nd year I was getting burnt out from the business. I had some bad experiences with some other people in the industry. In fact, key influencers and leaders in this business (for me at the time) . It really threw my through a loop. I took a break from writing business and even thought about quitting altogether. This was not due to being unsuccessful, which is ironic as I find many agents fail because of not making it their first year. Anyhow, I decided I would try telesales from some more inspiration, all glory to God.

I started with PPG, James is a great guy and they have an awesome platform(I would recommend anyone talk with him if they are interested in telesales). I did well and learned a lot the time I spent working with them. Eventually I made my way over to DigitalBGA... I was always intrigued with them

Since I've been with Digital I really decided to crank up my game and I began to have to desire to lead and train agents. With their support, systems and my prior training I've really been able to grow a ton in this business. Thank you all, Thank God. Currently, I have a handful of agents I'm leading, I'm now working with a virtual assistant, working on some of my own marketing strategies along with leads through Digital and ready to continue to grow. I've been really surprised by the amount of agents I have reaching out to me from some of the content I have been putting out. I really think it's great and I truly appreciate hearing I'm bringing value to others who aren't on my team. Thank you all for checking me out :).

I know there are other agencies that are massive compared to me. I know I'm still in the beginning of building but I'm encouraged and having a good time. Obviously we have all had our rough waters in this business...To sum this up...I think back to when I first started and had to amend the Transamerica app because I had no idea what I was doing and trying my best to make it work. Now I'm in the direction, slowly, but surly growing a business and agency.

Thanks for all the support and everyones participation on the forums. I think it's a good reflection of the business. It's got its roses but it's got its thorns. I guess we all do :)

Here's to a good rest of the year and many to come!

It certainly can be! Yea I am 100% telesales

How are you dealing with nsf’s so far away ? I had a ss nsf last week on a good client . I’ve texted and called no response . I’ll be out there and I’ll knock him and get . A lot of people just won’t answer the phone and you got to knock them to get . You being on the phone there’s no way to save . That’s why I never did telesales . You got to be able to touch some of these people .

Building a downline of agents can be the way to wealth . . . but it is not the panacea that many paint.

Lazy agents will bail within 3 months . . . good ones after 6 - 12 months. You are constantly replenishing your inventory of producing agents. Their mistakes roll up to you . . . as do the chargebacks.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Hope it works for you.

Telesales isn't for everyone. You have to learn to listen, rather than using visual cues. It can be difficult to learn but saves a lot of wear and tear on the body.

I don't chase prospects . . . they come to me.

When there is a need to contact them I use email with tracking. If it is urgent, I call . . . no answer . . . leave a message and send an email. If they don't call me back I move on. Late premiums, cancellations? Their problem, not mine. I don't chase them either.

Door knocking? Nope! Haven't done that in years and will never go back.

Some agents treat this business like a debit route. Many years ago one of my downline agents had a good business, mostly with doctors. When he wanted to set up a retirement plan he called me in . . . I knew that market, he didn't.

He was based in Montgomery but traveled his "route" throughout LA. When he wanted me to go with him it was a 3 - 4 day trip, small towns, cheap motels and diners. I hated it.

He didn't handle rejection well and would try to shame them into buying. He also chased after late payments and cancellations.

He was a very knowledgeable and good agent. His clients valued the information he brought to the table, but I didn't see many that looked forward to his visits.

Same way I wrote em. On the phone.

Thats just the point . If I had to save all mine on the phone my persistency would be much less . Now I know you work some direct transfer streaming tv leads?So maybe the intent higher . But I know the telemarketing outbound or direct transfer initiated by a telemarketer have low persistency. At the end of the day you have to look what you deposit . How much premium you do means nothing . It’s what you deposited for the year after all expenses and chargebacks . Only the agent knows that . I know many guys who do $150-$200 k of premium but only net $50-$75 k

I wanted to share my experience so far, specifically, working with agents and building this FE business thus far.

I've been licensed for 7 years now. When I started I really had visions of having a big team and leading a ton of agents to glory! That was just the vision put into my head. I quickly found out that selling insurance is not for everyone. Not due to any immediate "Failure" on my part, but just the sheer waves of how many people started and stopped within the first few months of me starting out.

Within 6 months I left being a captive agent, after doing a tad big of research on here, and then started planning to go Independent. I took a few months to do research, I worked a landscaping job (it was summer) while I was planning the Indy route.....Anyhow....

When I started as an Indy Final Expense agent I started Face to Face. I knocked doors for 6 or even 7 days a week when I started. I worked 12 hour days (at least - Which includes scrubbing paper apps which I haven't done in years!) Overall It was hard but I really enjoyed learning the business. I was on FIRE. I got sent to a trip with Transamerica and won a top producer award and made a really good amount of money....I was able to even help my friend who was at a captive organization come indy. He is still writing today and doing great! (He has been in the business longer than me!)

After about my 2nd year I was getting burnt out from the business. I had some bad experiences with some other people in the industry. In fact, key influencers and leaders in this business (for me at the time) . It really threw my through a loop. I took a break from writing business and even thought about quitting altogether. This was not due to being unsuccessful, which is ironic as I find many agents fail because of not making it their first year. Anyhow, I decided I would try telesales from some more inspiration, all glory to God.

I started with PPG, James is a great guy and they have an awesome platform(I would recommend anyone talk with him if they are interested in telesales). I did well and learned a lot the time I spent working with them. Eventually I made my way over to DigitalBGA... I was always intrigued with them

Since I've been with Digital I really decided to crank up my game and I began to have to desire to lead and train agents. With their support, systems and my prior training I've really been able to grow a ton in this business. Thank you all, Thank God. Currently, I have a handful of agents I'm leading, I'm now working with a virtual assistant, working on some of my own marketing strategies along with leads through Digital and ready to continue to grow. I've been really surprised by the amount of agents I have reaching out to me from some of the content I have been putting out. I really think it's great and I truly appreciate hearing I'm bringing value to others who aren't on my team. Thank you all for checking me out :).

I know there are other agencies that are massive compared to me. I know I'm still in the beginning of building but I'm encouraged and having a good time. Obviously we have all had our rough waters in this business...To sum this up...I think back to when I first started and had to amend the Transamerica app because I had no idea what I was doing and trying my best to make it work. Now I'm in the direction, slowly, but surly growing a business and agency.

Thanks for all the support and everyones participation on the forums. I think it's a good reflection of the business. It's got its roses but it's got its thorns. I guess we all do :)

Here's to a good rest of the year and many to come!

Good luck to you. Seems you have found your path.:yes:

"Give your heart to the trade you have learnt and draw refreshment from it"
Marcus Aurelius

Back