Need Out from my IMO - but How?

Yea for real, like some imo's here who preach being independent and low and behold they admin on the backend as a captive agency. Crazy times we live in bro.

How were you in a captive situation? You should not use terms that you don't know the meaning of. You were asked to move on for many reasons (with full releases and wishes of goodwill and future success).

Quit whining with your hurt feelings. Move on and prove that you can produce. Let us all know when you qualify for a convention or show up on a company newsletter where you can prove that you can produce.

Last edited:
Ok this is really naïve. What does "flip the book" mean? If it is solicit current customers, I believe my current contract prohibits that. (If I sound like a babe in the woods well maybe I am, but for over a year I have worked like a dog, and really don't know what other agents do or don't do). I am not sure that's my style anyway.

There is no question everyone really likes the family who owns the company (at least that is my perception). How they get people to stay is a real mystery to me. I assume most were in my boat, they trusted and never knew much else existed that was different.

As for blasting someone on the board here or using Ripoff Report, or threatening them - I guess if there was no other way, maybe for some that would be ok. I really prefer NOT to do that, I guess if it was an absolute, absolute last resort. I prefer the method of handling it like an adult. I did sign the contract after all, but I really figured it was kind of a normal situation, with slightly below market commissions. I also assumed the other stuff like renewals would be the same anywhere, give or take a point or two. Silly me.

Ok this is really naïve. What does "flip the book" mean? If it is solicit current customers, I believe my current contract prohibits that. (If I sound like a babe in the woods well maybe I am, but for over a year I have worked like a dog, and really don't know what other agents do or don't do). I am not sure that's my style anyway.

There is no question everyone really likes the family who owns the company (at least that is my perception). How they get people to stay is a real mystery to me. I assume most were in my boat, they trusted and never knew much else existed that was different.

As for blasting someone on the board here or using Ripoff Report, or threatening them - I guess if there was no other way, maybe for some that would be ok. I really prefer NOT to do that, I guess if it was an absolute, absolute last resort. I prefer the method of handling it like an adult. I did sign the contract after all, but I really figured it was kind of a normal situation, with slightly below market commissions. I also assumed the other stuff like renewals would be the same anywhere, give or take a point or two. Silly me.

After your IMO screws you over, you most certainly will feel differently.

The agents that recommend taking extreme measures do so out personal experience, much akin to where you're at now.

Remember, as a high-volume producer, YOU have the leverage, and can cause a much-larger impact on this agency's recruitment if they do not treat you right.

Do you have any other problems beyond compensation?

After your IMO screws you over, you most certainly will feel differently.

The agents that recommend taking extreme measures do so out personal experience, much akin to where you're at now.

Remember, as a high-volume producer, YOU have the leverage, and can cause a much-larger impact on this agency's recruitment if they do not treat you right.

Do you have any other problems beyond compensation?

Taking my time and not signing a contract was a God send. Most of the IMOs you see recruiting are only interested in taking advantage of you. There are alot of good guys on this forum and good IMOs on here. You can get street level contracts, renewals and help with a few of these guys here.

Remember assuming you can produce, all the money is made in the contract you get, so make a good deal. Close the last chapter and move on. You will get a raise this year,lol. Keep doing well

Luvfe, Before you leave the other agency. Make sure you have copies of apps and records of your clients. Including policy number and all their contact info. Personally I would be calling all of them just to say hi and make sure they have your contact information. Good time to mail them your card. The other agency may play nice or go scorched earth on you.

You also made a contract with your clients to take care of them.

Contacting your clients and having all their information is protection. If you do not need it it is just sitting in the drawer. What happens if the agency decides to go after your book and leave you with the charge backs an maybe a Vector? I personally have seen it happen many times.

How were you in a captive situation? You should not use terms that you don't know the meaning of. You were asked to move on for many reasons (with full releases and wishes of goodwill and future success).

Quit whining with your hurt feelings. Move on and prove that you can produce. Let us all know when you qualify for a convention or show up on a company newsletter where you can prove that you can produce.

Did I mention I was referring to my situation? I wasn't, not whining either, I was being serious, just get over yourself already jeez, you are not that important lol. I've already proven to myself I can produce and I posted my numbers, I don't need to prove anything to anyone especially you, you are not profound, get over yourself.

The Flip Police aren't going to come haul you away...The worst you'd get is terminated by those carriers...

It's a threat to get the imo to do the right thing...."I'll publish my experience on the forum and ripoff report, and I'll flip MY book of business if you don't release me...sure not everyone gets on those forums, but any google search on your name it will pop up"

and hopefully it won't come to that. ..

When an imo tries to use this kind of leverage against a departing imo, they've effectively declared war on your career...All is fair in war, and slash and burn is an effective strategy....

Anything less than affecting their cash flow will get laughed off and ignored while they focus on replacing you with 3 new suckers...

Edit- I should also point out that you could also just sign up with new imo with different carriers and let the 1 year pass on the old carriers....no harm in that and you keep your old 'family business friends' in the "wrong" moving forward. ...you don't have to go to war with them...but not releasing you when you don't have chargebacks, they can do better....

Last edited:
The Flip Police aren't going to come haul you away...The worst you'd get is terminated by those carriers...

It's a threat to get the imo to do the right thing...."I'll publish my experience on the forum and ripoff report, and I'll flip MY book of business if you don't release me...sure not everyone gets on those forums, but any google search on your name it will pop up"

and hopefully it won't come to that. ..

When an imo tries to use this kind of leverage against a departing imo, they've effectively declared war on your career...All is fair in war, and slash and burn is an effective strategy....

Anything less than affecting their cash flow will get laughed off and ignored while they focus on replacing you with 3 new suckers...

Very true. This forum pops up on Google quite a bit. Remember the EFES insurance release thread? Google that and it pops up on page one. Do IMOs care? We are the talent, we are the labor we are the ATM. The internet and forums like this one are the Independent agents best knowledge tool. I personally like everyone I have contracts with however, at the end of the day I know that they, like me, need to look out for their own interest first.

Did I mention I was referring to my situation? I wasn't, not whining either, I was being serious, just get over yourself already jeez, you are not that important lol. I've already proven to myself I can produce and I posted my numbers, I don't need to prove anything to anyone especially you, you are not profound, get over yourself.

Come on. Of course you were. You really should drop this and move on.

Back