Shannon/Americo/EFES Debacle?

Maybe you've never read Atlas Shrugged or anything by Ayn Rand. If you had you wouldn't wouldn't have made that dumb reply.

Actually I have read Atlas Shrugged and it is exactly why I made that reply. I don't see anything in the basic philosophies of that book that goes against what Christ taught. I know many of Rands philosophies overall are a bit extreme, but I don't think the basic idea of Atlas Shrugged is bad. Maybe we took something different away from that book. I do understand the whole liberal mantra however that if I am not bending over backward to allow the government to take from me and give to others is not being Christlike. They apparently have a different belief in who Christ was than the one I read about. As for calling you a dumbass, that was a bit much. I apologize.

I read about 75% of Atlas Shrugged, thinking it was an OK philosophy to live by until I started seeing anti-Christian principles throughout the book. Folks who don't study the Scriptures on a daily basis might not see it and actually think it lines up with biblical principles.

I did a search on Ayn Rand and she was definitely anti-Christ in her beliefs. She was a Capitalist and promoted hard work and integrity in business, which is laudable, but to an extreme that would push family and faith to a lower (or non-existent) position.

I don't work hard to make money. I work hard because the Bible says that whatsoever you do, do unto the glory of God and to work as you are working for the Lord. I also work, secondly, provide for my family and also to give to others.

That is the biblical model of how and why we are to work. That's a completely different philosophical approach that Rand puts forth. Thus making it contrary to the Scriptures and anti-Christian. And why, I assume, Pitt made the comment he did.

Actually I have read Atlas Shrugged and it is exactly why I made that reply. I don't see anything in the basic philosophies of that book that goes against what Christ taught. I know many of Rands philosophies overall are a bit extreme, but I don't think the basic idea of Atlas Shrugged is bad. Maybe we took something different away from that book. I do understand the whole liberal mantra however that if I am not bending over backward to allow the government to take from me and give to others is not being Christlike. They apparently have a different belief in who Christ was than the one I read about. As for calling you a dumbass, that was a bit much. I apologize.

One of the basic tenets of Rand's theory of objectivism and, hence, her masterpiece Atlas Shrugged is the lack of belief in mysticism - or, in other words gods and religions (among other mystical things). If you are using reason (which Rand bases everything on) it would only make sense that Galt would not be a follower of any religious deity - in this case Jesus.

----------

I read about 75% of Atlas Shrugged, thinking it was an OK philosophy to live by until I started seeing anti-Christian principles throughout the book. Folks who don't study the Scriptures on a daily basis might not see it and actually think it lines up with biblical principles.

I did a search on Ayn Rand and she was definitely anti-Christ in her beliefs. She was a Capitalist and promoted hard work and integrity in business, which is laudable, but to an extreme that would push family and faith to a lower (or non-existent) position.

I don't work hard to make money. I work hard because the Bible says that whatsoever you do, do unto the glory of God and to work as you are working for the Lord. I also work, secondly, provide for my family and also to give to others.

That is the biblical model of how and why we are to work. That's a completely different philosophical approach that Rand puts forth. Thus making it contrary to the Scriptures and anti-Christian. And why, I assume, Pitt made the comment he did.

I think whatever works for someone (without infringing upon the rights of others) is what each individual should do. I don't know how obvious it is that I am a fan of Rand and Atlas Shrugged but that book (and specifically the character John Galt) changed how I look at almost everything in this world. I'm not trying to get into a religious debate. There is no reason for them anyway. People believe what they believe and stay hardened in that position for pretty much their entire lives with rare exceptions (myself being one of those rare exceptions). But there is no way in the world a character created by Ayn Rand would ever have his name in the same sentence as "I consider myself a Christian (or Muslim, or Jew, or Scientologist, etc..).

One of the basic tenets of Rand's theory of objectivism and, hence, her masterpiece Atlas Shrugged is the lack of belief in mysticism - or, in other words gods and religions (among other mystical things). If you are using reason (which Rand bases everything on) it would only make sense that Galt would not be a follower of any religious deity - in this case Jesus.

----------

I think whatever works for someone to (without infringing upon the rights of others) is what each individual should do. I don't know how obvious it is that I am a fan of Rand and Atlas Shrugged but I base but that book (and specifically the character John Galt) changed how I look at almost everything in this world. I'm not trying to get into a religious debate. There is no reason for them anyway. People believe what they believe and stay hardened in that position for pretty much their entire lives with rare exceptions (myself being one of those rare exceptions). But there is no way in the world a character created by Ayn Rand would ever have his name in the same sentence as "I consider myself a Christian (or Muslim, or Jew, or Scientologist, etc..).

Good points. My half awake bit of over reaction first thing in the morning led to this. I figured you for another liberal trying to determine what is considered Christlike for others, but rather I was the dumbass that assumed such. Thanks for that.

----------

Y'all do realize that Atlas Shrugged is fiction?:goofy:

Many think the bible is fiction. To each their own.

Good points. My half awake bit of over reaction first thing in the morning led to this. I figured you for another liberal trying to determine what is considered Christlike for me, but rather I was the dumbass that assumed such. Thanks for that.

No worries. I think we're on the same page here.

----------

Y'all do realize that Atlas Shrugged is fiction?:goofy:

It was made into a movie so it must be real dammit! And wrestling is real too! Don't you dare tell my FE clients any different!

Good points. My half awake bit of over reaction first thing in the morning led to this. I figured you for another liberal trying to determine what is considered Christlike for others, but rather I was the dumbass that assumed such. Thanks for that.

----------

Many think the bible is fiction. To each their own.

Really?? That's how you are going to play that?

I guess an argument can be made about the bible but there is no question that the book Atlas Shrugged is fiction.

Really?? That's how you are going to play that?

I guess an argument can be made about the bible but there is no question that the book Atlas Shrugged is fiction.

I am ok to admit I overreacted. Nothing wrong with that. As for the other, I am very clear on Atlas Shrugged being fiction. I was just being obstinate

Back