Survey For DOOR TO DOOR!

I think I would like to try this survey idea out. Do you guys think it would work better selling FE to a lower income demo or term to middle class?

And if you did it for term, how would you change the questions?

Stick to the lower/lower middle class neighborhoods. If you try this in a wealthy neighborhood, you'll have the police called on you within an hour.
Even though you are doing nothing wrong, it could still be a time consuming pain in the ass while they have you sit in the back of their car and run checks on you. Also, there might be some hidden peddlers law that you are unaware of from 1895.

Stick to the lower/lower middle class neighborhoods. If you try this in a wealthy neighborhood, you'll have the police called on you within an hour. Even though you are doing nothing wrong, it could still be a time consuming pain in the ass while they have you sit in the back of their car and run checks on you. Also, there might be some hidden peddlers law that you are unaware of from 1895.

You are not peddling anything. You are doing a survey.

You are not peddling anything. You are doing a survey.

True, but anytime you are coming up onto someone's property uninvited you are considered a peddler by most municipalities. It doesn't matter if you have apps on hand or not.

True, but anytime you are coming up onto someone's property uninvited you are considered a peddler by most municipalities. It doesn't matter if you have apps on hand or not.

Never had it happen to me but if asked about a peddlers license I would state I have a license from the state to solicit insurance applications and was engaged in that activity. Like I said never had an issue, I also swing by the police dept in advance and let them know and provide my car tag number and license info upon request.

Have you looked it up with YOUR municipality? By saying "most municipalities" you aren't talking from experience, but from assumptions.

You need to look up your city's code on solicitation, read it, and even carry a print-out with you.

http://www.riversideca.gov/municode/pdf/05/5-08.pdf

"Solicit" or "solicitation" means to request, directly or indirectly, money, property, including discarded household furnishings, newspapers, magazines, castoff materials, or financial assistance of any kind, including donations or pledges of donations, or to sell, to offer for sale or to exhibit any thing or object whatever to raise money, including any article, tag, service, emblem, publication, ticket, advertisement or subscription; or to secure or attempt to secure money or donations or other property by promoting any bazaar, sale, dance, card party, supper or entertainment, whether any of such acts occur on the streets, in any office or public building, by house-to-house canvass or in any public or private place by personal solicitation.
(Ord. 6898 § 1, 2006; Prior code § 21.65)

Some of this code is written for homeless people soliciting donations at street corners. The rest of it is all about selling or attempting to secure money. Survey taking does NONE of that.

Let's read further:
Section 5.08.030 General Restrictions regarding Solicitation.

(a) No person who engages in solicitation shall use a plan, scheme or ruse or make any statement which indicates or implies that the purpose of the solicitation is other than to obtain orders or to make sales of goods or services.

(b) No person who engages in solicitation shall misrepresent the right of a buyer to rescind or cancel a sale under the provisions of applicable law.

(c) No person who engages in solicitation shall solicit by shouting or by using any sound device in connection with soliciting, including bells or amplifying system.

(d) No person who engages in solicitation shall step onto or over the threshold of a doorway of a residence unless invited to do so by the occupant or place hands, legs or any portion of the solicitor's body in the doorway so that it reasonably appears that the door may not be closed, unless allowed to do so by the occupant.

(e) It shall be unlawful to make false statements or misrepresentations about the purpose of the solicitation. (Ord. 6898 § 1, 2006; Prior code § 21.67)

(a) Is survey taking a 'ruse'?

(b) This is covered more under insurance laws & regulations than your local city "peddler's license".

(c) Do I really have to comment on that one for our purposes?

(d) Common, decent courtesy.

(e) Are you really trying to secure an application right there on the doorstep? If so, then it applies. If not, then it doesn't apply.

Think about how many "magazine salespeople" and others that come to your door. NONE of them have had "peddler's permits". We're lucky if ours show up with a company polo shirt and something around their neck saying they're with the company.

The only thing I OFFER... is after the survey, I ask if they would be interested in an appointment for a later time. If so, I set the appointment. If not, no problem, thank them for their time, move to the next door.

For me, I keep a copy of my insurance license ALONG with a print-out of this... just in case. I really AM "surveying" (gathering facts) and then simply offering an appointment for the future. That's it.

So, do your homework for your area before making generalized statements.

Have you looked it up with YOUR municipality? By saying "most municipalities" you aren't talking from experience, but from assumptions.

You need to look up your city's code on solicitation, read it, and even carry a print-out with you.

http://www.riversideca.gov/municode/pdf/05/5-08.pdf

Some of this code is written for homeless people soliciting donations at street corners. The rest of it is all about selling or attempting to secure money. Survey taking does NONE of that.

Let's read further:

(a) Is survey taking a 'ruse'?

(b) This is covered more under insurance laws & regulations than your local city "peddler's license".

(c) Do I really have to comment on that one for our purposes?

(d) Common, decent courtesy.

(e) Are you really trying to secure an application right there on the doorstep? If so, then it applies. If not, then it doesn't apply.

Think about how many "magazine salespeople" and others that come to your door. NONE of them have had "peddler's permits". We're lucky if ours show up with a company polo shirt and something around their neck saying they're with the company.

The only thing I OFFER... is after the survey, I ask if they would be interested in an appointment for a later time. If so, I set the appointment. If not, no problem, thank them for their time, move to the next door.

For me, I keep a copy of my insurance license ALONG with a print-out of this... just in case. I really AM "surveying" (gathering facts) and then simply offering an appointment for the future. That's it.

So, do your homework for your area before making generalized statements.

So you're saying that we can't go down the street yelling, "INSURANCE FOR SALE...INSURANCE FOR SALE"?:no:

Back