The Art of Cold Knocks

Truth is, now that I’ve gone looking for it online, I can’t find anywhere that it mentions him working for Combined, or selling insurance at all. I could swear I’ve heard him refer to it! (But at my age....?)
I’ll look through my Ziglar books later and see if I can find any mention.
I can't find anything either.

I just looked at Judge's book that's in my signature. I've had it for a couple of years and haven't read it yet. I'll start today. Hard cover...Daytimer turned me on to it. Looks good.

He talks about selling cookware. On the back of the jacket, it says that Judge sold $2,500,000 in life insurance his 1st year. That's the only reference I've found about either one of them being in the nsurance business.

Besides being a public speaker and trainer, I've never been aware that he sold more than pots(and pans). :err:

This is from the book jacket of Judge's book Timid Salesmen Have Skinny Kids.

Zig's Brother Judge Ziglar.jpg

Now I do not remember where I read it. But I do remember having read that both Zig and Judge left Pots and Pans to sell Life Insurance for a spell in the mid-sixties before both embarked on sales training careers. Judge died young of a heart attack in 1975 I believe, which is why we don't typically hear anything about him.

I am also willing to consider that I am misremembering and perhaps Zig didn't join Judge in Life Insurance Sales. But they were very close. And they definitely sold pots and pans for the same organization and were in fact partners as they were essentially a Pots and Pans IMO or Agency.

But at any rate, Judge himself claimed to have sold $2.5 million in insurance his first year, and back then $2.5MM in face was probably a very good year no matter how many years you had been selling it.

I found a quick mention of Zig’s apparently brief stint selling cancer insurance here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/1998/08/03/story8.html

Ziglar had great success selling pots and pans and other items over the years, with companies such as WearEver Aluminum and Saladmaster Corp. He had failures, too. During one five-year period, he tried 17 different ways to make a living, including selling cancer insurance.

One year, he recalls, he went to work for a new insurance company in Nashville, helping sell the company's stock. Then, on the day the firm was scheduled to begin offering its insurance products to the public, Ziglar discovered to his horror that it didn't have any.

View attachment 5818

Now I do not remember where I read it. But I do remember having read that both Zig and Judge left Pots and Pans to sell Life Insurance for a spell in the mid-sixties before both embarked on sales training careers. Judge died young of a heart attack in 1975 I believe, which is why we don't typically hear anything about him.

I am also willing to consider that I am misremembering and perhaps Zig didn't join Judge in Life Insurance Sales. But they were very close. And they definitely sold pots and pans for the same organization and were in fact partners as they were essentially a Pots and Pans IMO or Agency.

But at any rate, Judge himself claimed to have sold $2.5 million in insurance his first year, and back then $2.5MM in face was probably a very good year no matter how many years you had been selling it.
Your jacket has a different picture of Judge than mine has.

View attachment 5818

Just beat you. See Post #122. :biggrin:

Back