The Return of 48 Hour SOA

If it henders the call centers then it should be good news for independent agents. The folks calling Joe Namath and J.J. won't remember the conversation 48 hours later. I would love to be like you Somarco and only offer Medigap (I'll have Plan G or HDG when I hit 65 in two years). I'm in FL and Medigap tends to be on the pricy side compared to our "free" MA plans. My Dad's MA plan for 2023 has an annual $500 Visa debit card he can use for golf. He also has 30 hours a year for house cleaning, he gets a Part B reduction of $140...and on and on. He's fortuate that at 92 he's had no serious health issues.

I know there are 1000's of potential Medigap clients here in FL...I just need to find them.

I would love to be like you Somarco and only offer Medigap

Thanks for the comments . . . not everyone on this forum agrees with this laser focused approach.

I am very much aware of regional differences for MAPD plans that make it challenging to write only Medigap plans. Central to lower FL seems to be MAPD land but I believe agents in the panhandle are able to find Medigap prospects.

Other markets, such as some parts of CA, lean toward MAPD.

I market all over the state and most of my clients are not in metro Atlanta, but more recently my target marketing has included a 12 mile radius of my home in north metro Atlanta. I carefully filter my list of folks to mail so the letters are directed to single family homes with income above $50k. This isn't foolproof but does knock out folks who may not be good prospects.

it's a ridiculous thing to do. Unless they make it completely digital, dates can be whatever you want them to be.

Thanks for the comments . . . not everyone on this forum agrees with this laser focused approach.

I am very much aware of regional differences for MAPD plans that make it challenging to write only Medigap plans. Central to lower FL seems to be MAPD land but I believe agents in the panhandle are able to find Medigap prospects.

Other markets, such as some parts of CA, lean toward MAPD.

I market all over the state and most of my clients are not in metro Atlanta, but more recently my target marketing has included a 12 mile radius of my home in north metro Atlanta. I carefully filter my list of folks to mail so the letters are directed to single family homes with income above $50k. This isn't foolproof but does knock out folks who may not be good prospects.

I'm going to try more of your approach in marketing to potential Medigap clients. I may try the T65 letter campaign and also FB ads, etc. You are smart with your videos as well...keeping them around 4 minutes keeps people tuned in. As you know some agents drone on for 20, 30, 40 minutes or longer explaining G vs MA.

I worked as a salaried sales rep for an MA plan in 2019 and attended some higher level meetings that covered capitation and utilization. Learning that only 19 percent of this particular plan's members were using ANY of the OTC was interesting (one reason why OTC benefits have gone to way up in recent years). I know from my own experience with my MA clients that they aren't using all the benefits. I aways ask "are you using the dental benefit?" the response quite often is "I have dental benefits?" Believe me, I always go over all their extras during sales presentation. My point is, many people would not miss the extras especially those at a certian income level. As far as commissions go, I have an agency that offers a high pay out for a certain carrier. This is what makes it worth my while to offer HDG where most agents won't (it's higher than MA renewal). And the client can switch to G on the second anniversary of the policy date without underwriting (maybe all carriers allow this I don't know).

If the 48hr rule comes back next year. When I call a lead we will discuss Medicare basics and then I will inform the prospect that I work by appointment only. I will have them complete a request for appointment form (SOA) so we can get into more detail about doctors, rx and plans. Then I will ask them if day 2 at 2:15 or day 3 at 915am works best for them. I will use the scheduling app in my CRM to manage my appointments and availability.

I will use automations in my crm to send out SMS/email reminders the next day and the day of our appointment to keep it fresh in their mind. There will be flakes and there will be sales. Adapt and overcome.

My thoughts are that when someone is told that you work by appointment only it implies a level of importance, professionalism and most importantly, scarcity.

If the 48hr rule comes back next year. When I call a lead we will discuss Medicare basics and then I will inform the prospect that I work by appointment only. I will have them complete a request for appointment form (SOA) so we can get into more detail about doctors, rx and plans.

How can you send out a scope before looking into Dr and Meds? What would you put in the "Plan to Be discussed" if you work with 5 carriers in a given area?

How can you send out a scope before looking into Dr and Meds? What would you put in the "Plan to Be discussed" if you work with 5 carriers in a given area?
I would put MAPD as the plan to be discussed, check the box for all coverage options. Why do you think docs and meds need to be discussed before the scope? Thats weird. You simply send them an electronic scope, call it an appointment request form and give them a couple appointment date options at least 48hrs away.

I would put MAPD as the plan to be discussed, check the box for all coverage options. Why do you think docs and meds need to be discussed before the scope? Thats weird. You simply send them an electronic scope, call it an appointment request form and give them a couple appointment date options at least 48hrs away.

The e Scope that I have been using has a place for the plan name to be discussed. I've been getting Dr and meds done along with a my medicare.gov account and then setting the e Scope up.

I should share that I am in 21 states and via phone only as well.

Back