48 Hour SOA Requirement

Tkruger

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nationwide
So, I just received an email from a carrier stating the following:

"One of the new rules put out by CMS this past January was that Scope of Appointments (SOAs) are now required to be completed at least 48 hours prior to the appointment, this includes the Voice Recorded Appointment (VRA).

There are only 2 exceptions:

(A) When a beneficiary requests an appointment within four days of the end of a valid election period, including the AEP, OEP, SEP, ICEP or the month, based on eligibility.

(B) When a beneficiary initiates an in-person meeting (i.e. tabletop event, office walk-in, formal seminars, etc.)?

Thought this was for 2024 plan year....

I called broker support and was told that this "rule" went into effect Jan 1 NO other carrier has sent out material regarding this matter...

Thoughts?

It was the proposed rule released Dec/January. The final rule was released just this month (April 2023) and goes into effect 9/30/23 for all activity related to 2024 (at least the part including SOA).

It was the proposed rule released Dec/January. The final rule was released just this month (April 2023) and goes into effect 9/30/23 for all activity related to 2024 (at least the part including SOA).

Yeah, that's what I was under the same impression, that said this carrier blasted all agents with this email and when called and questioned even the supervisor doubled down that it has to be done now.

I had ONE CMS shopper like ten years ago at an AEP seminar and she was in her 30s so pretty obvious

CMS is not serious about scams. Or they are and just have no clue how the real world works

Carriers tell me one thing that keeps them up at night--is average age of agents/brokers has been going up for years. Who would want to do this? With the insane, irrelevant, costly, ineffective rules and regs.

Back