What do I need?

I leave my pen behind all the time. I have never failed to secure my Apple Pencil in the slot designed to hold it.
When I jump to iPad Pro, I’ll get the slot then! Or maybe get a different case. Or an aftermarket holder, as Josh suggested.

The only thing I use the stylus for is when I need an actual signature on an app. The stylus actually works fine for that, but it’s clunky and some people feel embarrassed by the way their signature looks when using it. I’m 100% positive that the Apple version would work better. But if the $12.99 version works for what I need, it’s worth a shot!

My iPad case has a slot for the pencil. They’re are a lot of after market add ons that serve the same purpose.

I purchased an extra Apple Pencil just in case, it’s still in the box :/

While I am not in the field any where as much as you guys. I am using my Surface a lot in restaurants and such. I bought these pen loops on Amazon. I have them stuck to the surface and the case. That surface pen is expensive.

Why would you say the pencil is crucial? I use an iPad, but just use a Dollar Store stylus for sigs. I’ve never tried the pencil, so I genuinely don’t know. I’m on my third iPad in about 7 years. The one I have now is the first one to be able to use Apple Pencil. I didn’t bother with it, though, just because I’m used to the old stylus. Should I get one?

Caveat, not an agent.

Just a comment from the signer's perspective. If what I used at the credit union last week is the special machine being discussed here, I don't see the point if all you need is a signature.

The lady had a small computer type thingy with a "pencil" on a cord hooked to it. I had to sign several documents. Each time she needed a signature, she would turn it around to me and then she would have to tap a quite small circle spot 2-4 times to bring up a signature box. The signature box expanded out to almost the entire width of the screen.

The first time I tried to sign something, I just held held the pen more like a normal pen. I was just doing three letters of initials. After I did all three initials, it took two more overwrite tries to get the first initial to show. She then gave me the credit union equivalent of the old line "Press hard, the third copy is yours". I had to hold the pen straight up and down and press firmly. I found it to be quite clumsy and my signatures and initialings were much worse than ones I make at other financial institutions on their electronic signature pads and at the hospital with the older type of pencil you are talking about.

The literature describing all the special things the pen does, does not include it's cost at $100 a pop (if I looked up the right thing). Considering how easy it is to forget stuff like that (and figuring you don't want to leave a trail of hundred dollar pens across South Dallas), again if all that is needed is a signature--and ins co signature boxes are as big as the one I saw at the credit union, I would stick with the cheap pens if they have been meeting your needs.

There has to be a little bit of "sales patter" to reassure old farts like me that it doesn't matter if the signature looks a bit off from what they might do with pen and paper.

Just a different perspective for you factor into your thought process.

My daughter bought a Surface about 12 months ago for PA school. Spent about $1500 and it started giving her problems this week. She has to replace the keyboard. The tech said there were a lot of issues with this computer.

My daughter bought a Surface about 12 months ago for PA school. Spent about $1500 and it started giving her problems this week. She has to replace the keyboard. The tech said there were a lot of issues with this computer.

Bought my second Surface this last year. It like my last one is my only daily use computer. Via hub, I have a 24" monitor, blue tooth keyboard and mouse, speakers and headphones to take and make GVoice calls.

I used the other for about 6 years. Still works fine but the battery is down to about 1 1/2 hours.

Tablets are most convenient and cost less. I use my 13 inch PC with touch screen in the field and in my office. The PC works perfectly with my phone for internet access and its great to have when agents call looking for info while I'm in the field. I do still carry a paper app for every carrier I represent just in case there's an issue. Never loose a sale because your computer/tablet crashes or there's a problem connecting to the internet.

Back