What's Your Best Short Response to these Questions

Speck

Guru
100+ Post Club
upon arriving at a DM lead's house for a set appointment.....

They meet you at your car before you have a chance to get out which is not usually a good sign in my experience and say...."What's this about?" The same scenario can also occur on the front porch when they open the door and come out to talk to you rather than inviting you in.

After looking at the lead form that they filled out which plainly says "funeral" and "life insurance" and say....."I thought this was about health insurance?"

After you point out these hidden words on the lead card they say...."Oh, this is life insurance? Well I've already got $15,000 of whole life insurance that I've been having a long time, and that's all I can afford."

Seems the last 3-4 weeks since I've been working leads in the largest county population wise in my area(appx. 200,000) and the response I get when arriving at the appointment has been atrocious. Don't know if it's just the area, the time of year, or the after effects of the worst flooding this area has seen a couple months back. Before this I was averaging 2,500 to 3,000 annual premium every week on 20 leads. Lately it's been 3-400 a week on just slightly fewer DM leads which simply can't continue. I can do better than that with TM leads for much less.

Last edited:
I already have my stuff ready - as soon as I park my feet are out the car door and in walking to the house . I've , maybe twice , met some at the driveway - I just hold my
Index finger up at the window like "hold on" then I get out and shake their hand and say "hey! You remember filling this card out, right ?" I smile and nod while handing them the card

If they say they already have something I say a couple of different things -

1-

Great ! That will make my
Job easier and it will help me to get to my next appointment quicker . How Long have you lived here ? .... Then in the house or on the porch - wherever I can sit down . I like to sit down first as if to say I'll be here for a minute or two - then I invite them to sit down .

2:
Great !That's fantastic that you understand the importance of this! Most of my clients have or had existing coverage . what I see all the time is that either they were over paying by almost double , their coverage was going to expire , or their prices were increasing and becoming astronomically too expensive. The good news is that it only tAkes a couple of minutes to make sure you have the right type of coverage at the right price . How long have you lived here ?

Sounds like your being overly vague when setting these appointments. What exactly do you say? Anyway, once there you should be able to at least get them to hear you out as you are already there. Tell them you need to briefly go over some information, and that they can help you make this go as quickly as possible by letting you get to a table. Then let her rip!:)

upon arriving at a DM lead's house for a set appointment.....

They meet you at your car before you have a chance to get out which is not usually a good sign in my experience and say...."What's this about?" The same scenario can also occur on the front porch when they open the door and come out to talk to you rather than inviting you in.

After looking at the lead form that they filled out which plainly says "funeral" and "life insurance" and say....."I thought this was about health insurance?"

After you point out these hidden words on the lead card they say...."Oh, this is life insurance? Well I've already got $15,000 of whole life insurance that I've been having a long time, and that's all I can afford."

Seems the last 3-4 weeks since I've been working leads in the largest county population wise in my area(appx. 200,000) and the response I get when arriving at the appointment has been atrocious. Don't know if it's just the area, the time of year, or the after effects of the worst flooding this area has seen a couple months back. Before this I was averaging 2,500 to 3,000 annual premium every week on 20 leads. Lately it's been 3-400 a week on just slightly fewer DM leads which simply can't continue. I can do better than that with TM leads for much less.

I've never had anyone meet me at my car so I can't say what I would do. probably just leave?

I've had that happen a couple times at the door. I did just leave then.

Once sitting down I find their why. If their why was health insurance then I give them my card and leave. I don't do health insurance unless you're talking medicare?

Already having life insurance. That makes my day. I love for people to already have life insurance. And they had that life insurance when they sent in the card so there has to be a why there.

If they already bought since they sent in the card then all the better. I know they qualify and I know I can improve the situation.

Without being there no one can really say what should have been done or done differently.

Maybe have a mentor that actually sells FE would be a starting point?

Bottom line, there is no answer to your question. There's no "short answer" to situations and there are no canned responses that work. That stuff is said by desk jockeys that can't sell FE, haven't sold FE and will never sell FE.

This is a read and react business. Those responses got rid of the last guy. What sets you apart from those other agents? It will never be practiced and rehearsed replies.

Last edited:
Those are just a couple variations - sometimes I say different things - it's very situational . I try to to build rapport, but not for too long , especially if they are a bit hesitant /stand off ish .

I want them to know that I "don't really care" that they have additional coverage and I deal with this stuff all the time ... This is nothing new . You sent the card in to me and my
Job is to help .

Now ... I DO care . But I want them to immediately feel like I'm not a threat - it's
No big deal - I'm a professional

It doesn't work every time .

Sometimes I tell people -

Look - you sent this card in Mary- the best thing to do is make sure the coverage you have isn't going to all of the sudden expire or go up by triple what you are paying now . I do this all day every day and I see all types of policies. Some good and some bad . This won't take too long . My
Job is to make sure that your needs are filled . If you have a policy that is good for your needs , great ! I have a ton of other people to see, I'll be outa here In a minute and at least you'll have the peace of mind knowing what you have is good.... On the other hand , if you have something that may not be there in a couple of years , Or is going to be hundreds of dollRs per month, I could show you a couple of options to help with something that is going to be there for you when you need it and something that is affordable , based on your needs, Fair enough ?

Calm, cool , relaxed and real .

----------

I've had a couple people tell me they thought it was health insurance -
I say - no this is final expense life insurance - and the proceed as I see best

----------

If my,initial, replies were not directly to people who say "I thought this was for health insurance " I apologize , I must have misread

I suggest being very Vague and NOT showing them the words Life Insurance on the card when you're trying to talk your way into a presentation. Use the same technique that you would use while door knocking leads!

Here's what I do

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use the lead card when door knocking. Everytime I bring it into the home during an appointment they grab it and read it 100 times and think of a couple objections. It has always done more harm than good!

You have to be clear what it is on the phone while setting the appointment. I always say, "This is for the type of coverage that if you were to die, the funeral is paid for the family. That's what you're looking for right??"

I only use the lead card when door knocking. Everytime I bring it into the home during an appointment they grab it and read it 100 times and think of a couple objections. It has always done more harm than good!

You have to be clear what it is on the phone while setting the appointment. I always say, "This is for the type of coverage that if you were to die, the funeral is paid for the family. That's what you're looking for right??"

I couldn't disagree more with that advice for setting appointments. The more you tell the less you sell.

I've noticed in the past yr my appt setter is getting one rebuttal more and more . People are insisting that they want no agent coming over and send by mail or email . We've used the privacy law response and several others like "it only takes 5 mins". What are some other rebuttals to this ?

Back