Appointments: Self Setting Vs. Hired Setter

Pete Cormie

Guru
100+ Post Club
New York
This question is intended for the FE folks and applies to setting appointments from DM lead cards. Some of you don't ever set appointments from lead cards - that's not an option up for debate in this particular thread - please.

Some agents struggle setting appointments on the phone. My first question is: Would it be best to hire an appointment setter, or to struggle along and try to get better at it yourself? Next question: Does it matter to the prospect (better or worse) if you set it yourself or if your "assistant" set the appointment?

Thanks all.

It's not nearly as hard to set appointments as you'd imagine.

A day or two of following a script and in turn internalizing it and you should have it down pat.

However, finding good talent to set appointments is a skill in itself. I recommend spending $5 for a job posting on ELance -- you'll get plenty of interest.

The thing is you have to know how to separate the skilled ones from the pretenders who look good.

This question is intended for the FE folks and applies to setting appointments from DM lead cards. Some of you don't ever set appointments from lead cards - that's not an option up for debate in this particular thread - please.

Some agents struggle setting appointments on the phone. My first question is: Would it be best to hire an appointment setter, or to struggle along and try to get better at it yourself? Next question: Does it matter to the prospect (better or worse) if you set it yourself or if your "assistant" set the appointment?

Thanks all.

I set my own. I've had others do them from time to time over the years and have never been satisfied with the results of others. EFES has this new telelead that I don't care for at all.

I don't it matters to the prospect but I like to be the one that makes the contact. It gives me a feel for for what I'm going to get when I get there.

I've been seting my own appointments for 8 year now.

If you're going to hire an appt setter, might as well have them cold call and save your cash from burning money on leads.

I like to set them myself. I agree with JD that it gives you a feel for the appointment. I have agents who struggle setting and since I have no personal experience using a hired appt setter, I am wondering if I should recommend that these agents work at it or go ahead and hire someone.

I'm thinking of hiring an appt setter so I can have that experience, good or bad, to relate to those agents. But, it would be better (cheaper) if you guys just let me know what your experiences have been !!!!

Thanks to all who have responded.

I like to set them myself. I agree with JD that it gives you a feel for the appointment. I have agents who struggle setting and since I have no personal experience using a hired appt setter, I am wondering if I should recommend that these agents work at it or go ahead and hire someone.

I'm thinking of hiring an appt setter so I can have that experience, good or bad, to relate to those agents. But, it would be better (cheaper) if you guys just let me know what your experiences have been !!!!

Apt setter = more time, more hassle, more money burned.

I would say it would be very foolish unless you are getting a heavy load of leads a week and makes more sense. That would be 30-40 leads or more every week.

You already invested most likely at least 20bucks per lead = 400 every week. Consider paying them 10/hr equals another $200++ a week which also will result in some baby sitting.

The only time I did it was with a lady that was developing the lead itself. I worked it into the script in what she is saying to go ahead and ask a time slot. Would 10.15 or 1:30 work for you? I gave her a bonus for every sale. She did alright with the apt, but the volume went down, so I told her to scrap the apt script.

You will learn more and get a much better feel of the prospect versus having an apt setter.

Add in the cost, it usually doesn't work.

Also, any leads that are pre set apts usually don't last long and end up costing too much...usually $30 and up from there.

Controlling your expenses in this business is more important then most realize.

It goes the same with stock and future trading that I have many years experience with. Most have a system down, could be discretionary or mathematically derived trading plan. Most will fail because they don't have sound money management. Fear, greed, lack of discipline, just a few of the many hurdles most will face.

They need to learn how to set an appointment. Not knowing how to develop your own lead and set an appointment is a recipe for failure. I can't really answer your question because I only prospect for med supps but my return rate on direct mail is much better than what FE agents get and it would be hard to break even sometimes hiring an appt setter. The biggest reason is because the appt setter will set anything they can get so you will be wasting time and gas money seeing people that aren't ideal prospects.

They need to learn how to set an appointment. Not knowing how to develop your own lead and set an appointment is a recipe for failure. I can't really answer your question because I only prospect for med supps but my return rate on direct mail is much better than what FE agents get and it would be hard to break even sometimes hiring an appt setter. The biggest reason is because the appt setter will set anything they can get so you will be wasting time and gas money seeing people that aren't ideal prospects.

That is a another great point, they become pushy based on being paid per apt set. Even if you pay them hrly plus a bonus, they know that if they don't set enough there job is short lived.

Doing it yourself is best...already have the chance to build rapport with the client prior to meeting in person. I prefer it as well to get some pre-qualifying questions in so I have a better idea of what to present when I get there.

Back