The Car You Drive Does Matter

All I know is that Chevys, especially Impalas, suck the big one.

My 2008 Civic will hit 200,000 miles sometime this month - great gas mileage, and only regular maintenance has all its ever needed.

And yes, it does clear the ravines of dirt roads just fine (with the exception of one time the Civic did get stuck in a driveway in Dayton, Tennessee).

Not sure it would have made it to the top of one certain hill.. :no:

I bought a cheap '02 Toyota Camry with 130K miles on it, back when I was commuting earlier in the year 170 miles/day. Now I like the fact it gets 30 mpg, is extremely reliable, and with care it should last at least to 500K miles. I also have a '96 4Runner which I bought new with 385K miles on it, and the engine runs like the day I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on the odometer.

I agree with those who say an "average" looking car is ideal for the FE crowd. If you go in their trailer with a coat and tie with a Mercedes parked outside, it's bound to create some jealousy and resentment, IMVHO.

Admittedly, a high mileage Toyota or Honda would hold up pretty well at 150K miles. But my car is a General Motors product, with 52K miles. Being a GM car, it will be ready for the scrap heap by the time it reaches 150,000!

Admittedly, a high mileage Toyota or Honda would hold up pretty well at 150K miles. But my car is a General Motors product, with 52K miles. Being a GM car, it will be ready for the scrap heap by the time it reaches 150,000!

I've got a '98 Chevy pick up I use for a farm truck. It has almost 190,000 miles on it. Doesn't use or leak any oil. No rust. I would hook a 9000 lb hay trailer to it right now and haul it cross country. In fact, I just did that a month ago.

I have used it to run appointments too. Did that last summer when my car was in the shop. It's also a Chevy. 2014 Impala with the V6. Just back from Indy in it where it got almost 30 miles a gallon up there and back.

It wasn't in the shop last year for a breakdown. Some A-hole threw a rock into the door panel with a lawnmower. I'll admit that had it been one of those Japanese toys it most likely wouldn't have dented their plastic door panel.

I've got a '98 Chevy pick up I use for a farm truck. It has almost 190,000 miles on it. Doesn't use or leak any oil. No rust. I would hook a 9000 lb hay trailer to it right now and haul it cross country. In fact, I just did that a month ago.

I have used it to run appointments too. Did that last summer when my car was in the shop. It's also a Chevy. 2014 Impala with the V6. Just back from Indy in it where it got almost 30 miles a gallon up there and back.

It wasn't in the shop last year for a breakdown. Some A-hole threw a rock into the door panel with a lawnmower. I'll admit that had it been one of those Japanese toys it most likely wouldn't have dented their plastic door panel.

That happened to a guy in my neighborhood. Someone was cutting the grass and the next thing this guy knows is his back window is blown out. WTF?!?!:wacko:

I understand that American cars are of much lower quality than foreign cars.

Give me a few minutes to make popcorn.

While you wait for the popcorn to finish please discuss how a German car made in America is still considered foreign.

Rick

Don't leave out Subaru. I put 250,000 on my Subaru Outback and it still ran great. Then I gave it to my son 5+ years ago and he's still driving it.

Modern engines just don't wear out. But the bodies will eventually rot away. Subaru is looking bad. But it hasn't seen the inside of a garage in years.

I understand that American cars are of much lower quality than foreign cars.

Give me a few minutes to make popcorn.

While you wait for the popcorn to finish please discuss how a German car made in America is still considered foreign.

Rick

if a German car or Japanese car made in American is foreign, why is a Chrysler made in America considered domestic?

Soooo, anyone here ever ride a motorcycle to run appointments, or know somebody who has? Lol....just curious.

Nope, not for insurance work -- but back in the day (late '70s) I used to deliver pizzas for Domino's in Louisville with a "hot box" strapped to the back of my Kawasaki.

The hot box had sterno that burned in it to keep the pizzas warm. The only bad thing was I had to be careful at the U of L campus lest the students get some free pizza when I was at someone else's door. :mad:

Back