The Car You Drive Does Matter

So we're supposed to drive a clunker just so we don't hurt the prospect's feelings? I'm doing a service for these people driving 100 miles away to bring them the best options in burial insurance, and I'm supposed to give a crap what they think of my car? I want a car that's reliable (meaning it doesn't have 150k miles on it:mad:), because I like to be on time to appointments even if the deadbeats aren't there most of the time!

Most people hate salesman,they know we make good money,have a lot of freedom. In fact,believe it or not,some of our clients tried sales earlier in life and failed,have carry guilt for not making it.

I like to try to blend in with the locals. Another thing I will do is rack my canoe on top of the truck. My people are hunters and fisherman. I've had women tell me when I pulled into their yard "when I saw that there boat on top of your truck I thought you was coming to come get my husband for a fishing trip".

It also helps me find out where the good local fishing holes are,so it's a two way street.

So we're supposed to drive a clunker just so we don't hurt the prospect's feelings? I'm doing a service for these people driving 100 miles away to bring them the best options in burial insurance, and I'm supposed to give a crap what they think of my car? I want a car that's reliable (meaning it doesn't have 150k miles on it:mad:), because I like to be on time to appointments even if the deadbeats aren't there most of the time!

I bought a cheap '02 Toyota Camry with 130K miles on it, back when I was commuting earlier in the year 170 miles/day. Now I like the fact it gets 30 mpg, is extremely reliable, and with care it should last at least to 500K miles. I also have a '96 4Runner which I bought new with 385K miles on it, and the engine runs like the day I drove it off the lot with 7 miles on the odometer.

I agree with those who say an "average" looking car is ideal for the FE crowd. If you go in their trailer with a coat and tie with a Mercedes parked outside, it's bound to create some jealousy and resentment, IMVHO.

I drive a rusted out beat up Honda Civic. It's comfortable and a buddy of mine rebuilt it so it's fairly reliable. Goes with the territory when you're in the field if you know what I mean. Do you think driving a nice car could hurt sales? Didn't Newby used to drive a Jaguar or something like that?

Ford Sport Trac with a bed cover for me. It is comfortable to drive and a little easier to maneuver than a full size crew cab truck. It sits high enough that I climb up into it and step down out of it. It is hard for me to easily get up out of a small car because they sit so low. Has enough clearance to clear the driveways when they are so rutted out that they would swallow a Honda Civic.

Ford Sport Trac with a bed cover for me. It is comfortable to drive and a little easier to maneuver than a full size crew cab truck. It sits high enough that I climb up into it and step down out of it. It is hard for me to easily get up out of a small car because they sit so low. Has enough clearance to clear the driveways when they are so rutted out that they would swallow a Honda Civic.

Yeah, Hondas are horrible for rural environments.:1eek:

I drive a rusted out beat up Honda Civic. It's comfortable and a buddy of mine rebuilt it so it's fairly reliable. Goes with the territory when you're in the field if you know what I mean. Do you think driving a nice car could hurt sales? Didn't Newby used to drive a Jaguar or something like that?

You could probably go over the top here, but don't assume that your clients want to buy from someone who they perceive to be as broke as they are. I find that the opposite is often true.

I drive a very nice,older model classic pickup dude. Didn't advise anyone what to drive. Just what fits me. An agent can ride a horse for all I care.

Sent from the FE Universe

Yes that Jag was the worst car I've ever owned and terrible for selling FE too.

My Ford Ranger 4x4 probably gave the best impression.

But my current Mini Cooper does just fantastic and has the best anti-theft device known to exist. Stick shift.

All I know is that Chevys, especially Impalas, suck the big one.

My 2008 Civic will hit 200,000 miles sometime this month - great gas mileage, and only regular maintenance has all its ever needed.

And yes, it does clear the ravines of dirt roads just fine (with the exception of one time the Civic did get stuck in a driveway in Dayton, Tennessee).

Back