Ipad Applications at Your Own Risk

I'm in the field, get an email from carrier that a policy nsf, smartphone into the website and find out its a closed bank acct.
The client is 5 miles away from me...tomorrow I'll be 100 miles away. The closest office depot is 30 mins in the other direction.
Next week the client will be out of money
I need a change bank acct form stat
And I don't carry a file cabinet in my trunk with every possible form from all my 15 carriers
What do I do?

Hit print, drive to the clients house, open the trunk, pull the form off the printer.

Knock, sign, scan, done. case closed.

The year is 2014.5, the future is now.

Everyone has a smartphone and a gps we didn't have 10 years ago
But we don't we have a printer in the trunk because that'd be just stupid?

Have never had a client request a copy of the app at time of application. They are going to get one if the policy is issued becasue it becomes a part of the application..

I have had a few. I just explain that one will be in the policy which usually settles that. If not just tell them I will mail or email one to them from the office. Push come to shove they could take a cell pic.

----------

I'm in the field, get an email from carrier that a policy nsf, smartphone into the website and find out its a closed bank acct.
The client is 5 miles away from me...tomorrow I'll be 100 miles away. The closest office depot is 30 mins in the other direction.
Next week the client will be out of money
I need a change bank acct form stat
And I don't carry a file cabinet in my trunk with every possible form from all my 15 carriers
What do I do?

Hit print, drive to the clients house, open the trunk, pull the form off the printer.

Knock, sign, scan, done. case closed.

The year is 2014.5, the future is now.

Everyone has a smartphone and a gps we didn't have 10 years ago
But we don't we have a printer in the trunk because that'd be just stupid?

Mine fits in a briefcase.

Hey everyone!

My name is Mike, and I'm a team member for a State Farm agent in Virginia. I was reading over this post, and I found it very interesting that there are several major carriers without either an E-App or fillable PDF for Life policies.

To provide context, because I work for a State Farm agent, I'm unable to sell products for any other carriers. I'm still pretty new to the insurance field (started last December), so working at a captive agency limits my exposure to other processes and business practices outside of the State Farm world.

State Farm has a fairly advanced, easy-to-use online application available for customers and agents/agent staff, with the customer/agent portals linked together. A customer can start a quote online, call an agent (or the 1-800#) for help, and the agent will be able to pull up the customer's quote in real-time. The entire application process is electronic, even allowing for electronic signatures on all documents. If the agent is closing the sale at the customer's home, the agent can print a hardcopy of the application, obtain the signature(s) from the customer, scan in the signed pages, and attach them to the E-App. It makes things very easy, and all of the Underwriting guidelines are included throughout the application in the form of (?) icons beside almost every item. Agents can access the online Life application from an Ipad or laptop to allow for increased mobility (they're working on integration for Smart Phones, but haven't finished yet.)

From your posts, it sounds like writing for a company without an E-App would be harder than writing for one that does offer an E-App. How do you guys handle that? Do you have to manually calculate the rate while you're with the customer, or are you able to use their information to run a quote ahead of time? Is there a benefit to not using E-Apps or fillable PDF's? If you've written (or are writing) for 2+ companies that have both formats, do you have a preference?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think this forum is a really great resource, and it's definitely helped me to get acclimated in my new role. I appreciate everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience.

_Mike

Last edited:
Hey everyone! My name is Mike, and I'm a team member for a State Farm agent in Virginia. I was reading over this post, and I found it very interesting that there are several major carriers without either an E-App or fillable PDF for Life policies. To provide context, because I work for a State Farm agent, I'm unable to sell products for any other carriers. I'm still pretty new to the insurance field (started last December), so working at a captive agency limits my exposure to other processes and business practices outside of the State Farm world. State Farm has a fairly advanced, easy-to-use online application available for customers and agents/agent staff, with the customer/agent portals linked together. A customer can start a quote online, call an agent (or the 1-800#) for help, and the agent will be able to pull up the customer's quote in real-time. The entire application process is electronic, even allowing for electronic signatures on all documents. If the agent is closing the sale at the customer's home, the agent can print a hardcopy of the application, obtain the signature(s) from the customer, scan in the signed pages, and attach them to the E-App. It makes things very easy, and all of the Underwriting guidelines are included throughout the application in the form of (?) icons beside almost every item. Agents can access the online Life application from an Ipad or laptop to allow for increased mobility (they're working on integration for Smart Phones, but haven't finished yet.) From your posts, it sounds like writing for a company without an E-App would be harder than writing for one that does offer an E-App. How do you guys handle that? Do you have to manually calculate the rate while you're with the customer, or are you able to use their information to run a quote ahead of time? Is there a benefit to not using E-Apps or fillable PDF's? If you've written (or are writing) for 2+ companies that have both formats, do you have a preference? Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think this forum is a really great resource, and it's definitely helped me to get acclimated in my new role. I appreciate everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience. _Mike

It's a quandary... So us children from a lesser god are forced to pull out that paper Oxford application and hand write the whole dang thing for only 120% FYC. The nerve of these carriers. :)

Hey everyone!

My name is Mike, and I'm a team member for a State Farm agent in Virginia. I was reading over this post, and I found it very interesting that there are several major carriers without either an E-App or fillable PDF for Life policies.

To provide context, because I work for a State Farm agent, I'm unable to sell products for any other carriers. I'm still pretty new to the insurance field (started last December), so working at a captive agency limits my exposure to other processes and business practices outside of the State Farm world.

State Farm has a fairly advanced, easy-to-use online application available for customers and agents/agent staff, with the customer/agent portals linked together. A customer can start a quote online, call an agent (or the 1-800#) for help, and the agent will be able to pull up the customer's quote in real-time. The entire application process is electronic, even allowing for electronic signatures on all documents. If the agent is closing the sale at the customer's home, the agent can print a hardcopy of the application, obtain the signature(s) from the customer, scan in the signed pages, and attach them to the E-App. It makes things very easy, and all of the Underwriting guidelines are included throughout the application in the form of (?) icons beside almost every item. Agents can access the online Life application from an Ipad or laptop to allow for increased mobility (they're working on integration for Smart Phones, but haven't finished yet.)

From your posts, it sounds like writing for a company without an E-App would be harder than writing for one that does offer an E-App. How do you guys handle that? Do you have to manually calculate the rate while you're with the customer, or are you able to use their information to run a quote ahead of time? Is there a benefit to not using E-Apps or fillable PDF's? If you've written (or are writing) for 2+ companies that have both formats, do you have a preference?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I think this forum is a really great resource, and it's definitely helped me to get acclimated in my new role. I appreciate everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience.

_Mike

Mike,

State Farm does not really sell the same typle plans or for that matter the same people they are talking about.

In Traditional it runs from multiple page paper apps to Super easy eapp (Sagicor) to very basic drop ticket infor (Pinney). I Started back in the stone age where it was only paper. In some cases paper is still faster than must fill in each line eapps. And I do both regularly.

As far as calculating rates. I use Compulife, FexQuotes, WinFex and company software on my phone or windows tablet or laptop. An example of the term software is term4sale.com.

Lee

American General back in 2000 had their own pads with electronic signature. I use to love it because it wouldn't allow you to complete the app if something was missing. You would think by 2014 it would be the norm for all carriers.

American General back in 2000 had their own pads with electronic signature. I use to love it because it wouldn't allow you to complete the app if something was missing. You would think by 2014 it would be the norm for all carriers.

I had one of those American General thingys back in 2004 when I first started. What's that been now, 25 years since 2004?:laugh:

It was pretty cool though. Had it's own little printer and everything. I never wrote any applications with it but I did see it in action.

For the iPad users, the HP Officejet 100 and 150 are great printers that fit into your briefcase. However you will need the HP NFC/Wireless 1200w adapter from HP to use it with an Ipad, they are about $50 direct from HP, a great portable solution. The Officejet 100 is a good quality printer, very affordable on Ebay, the 150 is a multifunction with a scanner, and more expensive.

Back