The Car You Drive Does Matter

nfl72

Guru
1000 Post Club
I know the kind of car we drive has been beat to death. Some prefer Foreign some prefer domestic and some even prefer Yugos. That is not the intent of this thread. This thread is about finding the right car that fits the kind of driving we are going to be doing.

For the past year or so I was driving a 2003 GMC Sonoma extended cab. at the end of the day my back would be so sore it was hard to move. I always felt it was better to pull into a driveway driving something not flashy or not to expensive looking. In March I purchased an old 2006 LS430. It is black and has a brand new set of American Racing Chrome Wheels. It has 90,000 miles on it, is a one owner car in pretty much mint condition. It looks and drives like a new car. I now find I can drive all day long and even drive home at night with no back issues of any kind. Sure I get a few comments on how I must be making too much money but I also get a lot of nice car remarks as well.

For my kind of driving, usually an hour and a half just to get to the work site, a nice comfortable 4 door sedan is the way to go. I also find a radar detector will pay for itself in a matter of a few days.

I know the kind of car we drive has been beat to death. Some prefer Foreign some prefer domestic and some even prefer Yugos. That is not the intent of this thread. This thread is about finding the right car that fits the kind of driving we are going to be doing.

For the past year or so I was driving a 2003 GMC Sonoma extended cab. at the end of the day my back would be so sore it was hard to move. I always felt it was better to pull into a driveway driving something not flashy or not to expensive looking. In March I purchased an old 2006 LS430. It is black and has a brand new set of American Racing Chrome Wheels. It has 90,000 miles on it, is a one owner car in pretty much mint condition. It looks and drives like a new car. I now find I can drive all day long and even drive home at night with no back issues of any kind. Sure I get a few comments on how I must be making too much money but I also get a lot of nice car remarks as well.

For my kind of driving, usually an hour and a half just to get to the work site, a nice comfortable 4 door sedan is the way to go. I also find a radar detector will pay for itself in a matter of a few days.

I work rural,rugged terrain,rough dirt roads. The rougher the road,the better the clientele for FE,IMHO.

I'm very tall,demand lots of room in a vehicle and prefer to ride high for easy in and out,good vision.

Full size extended cab pickup truck with a topper.

For men who spend lots of "road warrior" time in a vehicle:

Safety
Room,comfort
Cargo space

I never met anyone who used a radar detector that benefitted in life by being in a big hurry.

It's true. Not only comfort, but dependability are very important for Road Warriors.

I love my 2005 Volvo S80

Just ordered this Satellite Radio for it

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to drive 3 hours each way to see prospects. Although I loved my Accord EX with a 5 speed the seats were too soft. My back killed me.

So I bought a nice used 2003 Mercedes 230K sedan. No more back issues.

Now I try to drive a Cessna when I have appointments that far away. No more 3 hours drives. 90 minute flights are much nicer.

Rick

I work rural,rugged terrain,rough dirt roads. The rougher the road,the better the clientele for FE,IMHO. I'm very tall,demand lots of room in a vehicle and prefer to ride high for easy in and out,good vision. Full size extended cab pickup truck with a topper. For men who spend lots of "road warrior" time in a vehicle: Safety Room,comfort Cargo space I never met anyone who used a radar detector that benefitted in life by being in a big hurry.

Noah I'm also tall, been running aapts in a 3 series Beemer for awhile now, but I do get nervous on some of those country roads when they get muddy! Outside of the gas mileage, I think a truck sounds like a great option!

Noah I'm also tall, been running aapts in a 3 series Beemer for awhile now, but I do get nervous on some of those country roads when they get muddy! Outside of the gas mileage, I think a truck sounds like a great option!

Most people hate salesman,they know we make good money,have a lot of freedom. In fact,believe it or not,some of our clients tried sales earlier in life and failed,have carry guilt for not making it.

I like to try to blend in with the locals. Another thing I will do is rack my canoe on top of the truck. My people are hunters and fisherman. I've had women tell me when I pulled into their yard "when I saw that there boat on top of your truck I thought you was coming to come get my husband for a fishing trip".

It also helps me find out where the good local fishing holes are,so it's a two way street.

I'm a big guy too (almost six-five and 235lbs). I inherited a 1993 Camry beater that I am currently driving. It is the roomiest car I ever drove outside of a Caprice or Town Car. It also is a perfect FE car for the neighborhoods in Philly I tend to frequent. If some goofball tries to carjack me, he can have it! Which probably also means he doesn't want it.:D

Noah said, Another thing I will do is rack my canoe on top of the truck. My people are hunters and fisherman. I've had women tell me when I pulled into their yard "when I saw that there boat on top of your truck I thought you was coming to come get my husband for a fishing trip".

It also helps me find out where the good local fishing holes are,so it's a two way street.

How does having a canoe racked up on your truck help you find out where the good local fishing holes are?

This thread just took the wrong fork in the two way street.

I used to drive 3 hours each way to see prospects. Although I loved my Accord EX with a 5 speed the seats were too soft. My back killed me.

So I bought a nice used 2003 Mercedes 230K sedan. No more back issues.

Now I try to drive a Cessna when I have appointments that far away. No more 3 hours drives. 90 minute flights are much nicer.

Rick

I call BS. It's hard to believe you know how to drive a 5 speed....

Noah said, Another thing I will do is rack my canoe on top of the truck. My people are hunters and fisherman. I've had women tell me when I pulled into their yard "when I saw that there boat on top of your truck I thought you was coming to come get my husband for a fishing trip".

How does having a canoe racked up on your truck help you find out where the good local fishing holes are?

This thread just took the wrong fork in the two way street.

Either on the warm up or the button up,or even if they don't buy the person I'm talking to most always takes notice and you end up in a fishing conversation.

Also turn into fishing tales,pics of the big catch...etc.

They tell me where the sweet spots are.

Fun !

Back